PDA

View Full Version : Neuspeed Short Shifter Installed (PICS)

ssvr6
10-21-2002, 04:05 PM
Please check out my Here as well as more great technical How To's. (http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=NS_EP_SS) for all of the pics. Here's a few of the before and after shots of the stick.

1st Gear Before:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/s/ssvr6/Si/SSInstall-01.jpg

1st Gear After:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/s/ssvr6/Si/SSInstall-16.jpg

2nd Gear Before:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/s/ssvr6/Si/SSInstall-02.jpg

2nd Gear After:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/s/ssvr6/Si/SSInstall-17.jpg

The rest can be seen on my site.

It was SOOO easy to install and definitely a great buy. Thanks again to Regan for an effortless transaction and quick delivery.

Steve

Si_Nutt
10-21-2002, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the pics, how's the feel? Any harder to shift? I should be getting mine Wednesday-can't wait.... :)

ssvr6
10-21-2002, 07:50 PM
It's simply awesome. 1st to 2nd is so quick, I love it.

It feels a little tighter, but it's so new that it's a hard to say. It's not bad, just tight.

Steve

IceD out N CALI
10-21-2002, 10:30 PM
thanks for supplying the pics

HondaMan
10-21-2002, 11:35 PM
Nice pics! I hope to install mine tomorrow, if not I'll do it when I get to Georgia.

02blksi
10-22-2002, 01:44 PM
great job steve, any chance you can give a step by step so i can sticky this? --good job --joe :)

ssvr6
10-22-2002, 03:59 PM
No problem. I need to make one for my site anyway.

Steve

02blksi
10-22-2002, 04:16 PM
cool, in the mean time ill sticky this install also! --(when you can update it with instructions) --joe :)

ssvr6
10-23-2002, 06:46 AM
Ok, here's my complete break down on this install.

http://www.geocities.com/epcivicsi/ssinstall.htm

I'm too lazy to copy all that HTML into vB code, maybe later.

;)

Steve

LordKoo
10-23-2002, 07:22 AM
Steve,
Nice job!!!

SIborland
10-23-2002, 11:46 AM
So from the looks it has the same throws as mine and all i have is the greddy shift knob (about 2" shorter than stock)...only $40

TEKBRAIN
10-23-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by SIborland
So from the looks it has the same throws as mine and all i have is the greddy shift knob (about 2" shorter than stock)...only $40
How the throws could be different with only a new knob... :rolleyes:

TEKBRAIN
10-23-2002, 11:56 AM
By the way, what's the part number for the kit?

02SilverSiHB
10-23-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by SIborland
oh......my GOD! Tell me you are kidding right!? you don't actually believe that right!? oh man! :eek: :'(

myeverlovinsir
10-23-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6
It's simply awesome. 1st to 2nd is so quick, I love it.

It feels a little tighter, but it's so new that it's a hard to say. It's not bad, just tight.

Steve

I guess I will have to empathize, I don't have this item yet so
I think it is a good accessory, just from the pics. It looks shorter
in throw, and thats all that matters!

thanks for posting the info.

My Ever Loving SIR...:p

SmoothOperator
10-23-2002, 06:16 PM
Yeah I'd like to get my hands on a short shifter. But I've got priorities. Second gear looks like a considerably shorter throw. I like!

TEKBRAIN
10-24-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by TEKBRAIN
By the way, what's the part number for the kit?

MadBeatChemist
10-26-2002, 04:38 PM
Look at that boot, it makes the already funny looking boot look aweful. I want to get a short shifter too, but I think that if I do, I will have to replace the boot. I don't like the way that boot looks after the modification. It would look much better with a leather boot instead of the accordian, because it looks really deformed in 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears. It looks a little funny anyway under normal conditions, but still looks better than after adding the short shifter.

By the way, great step by step install guide. Thanks.

02blksi
10-26-2002, 04:51 PM
search the board for pics of B18cxr's type r leather boot and type r shift knob (pics), looks great. IMO --joe

ssvr6
10-26-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by MadBeatChemist
Look at that boot, it makes the already funny looking boot look aweful. I want to get a short shifter too, but I think that if I do, I will have to replace the boot. I don't like the way that boot looks after the modification. It would look much better with a leather boot instead of the accordian, because it looks really deformed in 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears. It looks a little funny anyway under normal conditions, but still looks better than after adding the short shifter.

By the way, great step by step install guide. Thanks.

To be honest, it looks better now, it was kind of kinked after the install. Either way, I could care less how it looks. Performance is my only goal.

Steve

CleanBlackSi02
10-26-2002, 06:56 PM
Looks great man! I'll have to check that out in person!

2k2civicSi
10-29-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

oh......my GOD! Tell me you are kidding right!? you don't actually believe that right!? oh man! :eek: :'(

dude i saw it its looke like he hacked off his shift rod it was so short

VIPER52USA
10-29-2002, 07:08 PM
NICE PICS, DO YOU LIKE IT A WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN THE LAST??? DO THEY MAKE IT TO WHERE YOU CAN PUT A WHOLE NEW TOP ON IT, SO YOU COULD HAVE IT LIKE METAL ON THE TOP???

ssvr6
10-29-2002, 07:16 PM
You mean "Replace the shift knob"?

Sure you can.

Steve

VIPER52USA
10-29-2002, 07:38 PM
YA, THATS IT. DO YOU HAVE TO GET A DESIGN FROM THE MAKE OF THE CAR OR IS IT UNIVERSAL?

02SilverSiHB
10-29-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by VIPER52USA
YA, THATS IT. DO YOU HAVE TO GET A DESIGN FROM THE MAKE OF THE CAR OR IS IT UNIVERSAL?
The short shift kit he has is specifically for the 2002+ civic si.
If you're talking about a shift knob, any one that is made for a civic will work, even the stock one

TEKBRAIN
11-07-2002, 02:49 PM
It took me 20 minutes to install it on my SiR today. Now, the shifter is perfect!!! :) :) :)

ssvr6
11-07-2002, 04:49 PM
Awesome!

Steve

k20hatch
11-14-2002, 09:07 PM
Can you hook me up with a link to the place you got that short shifter from i wanna order it right now!!

02SilverSiHB
11-14-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by k20hatch
Can you hook me up with a link to the place you got that short shifter from i wanna order it right now!!
I'll tell you, but first you have to tell me which wires to wire my razo shift light into
Just kidding, I think you can get it for about 105: http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3134&perpage=15&pagenumber=10
Raceboy is selling them

ssvr6
11-15-2002, 05:56 AM
Yeah, Regan's the best. Quick delivery and no hassle.

Steve

Claudius
12-24-2002, 08:28 AM
Does anybodyknow if I could install one of those short shifters to my CTR or does it need a different model short shifter?

HondaMan
12-24-2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Claudius
Does anybodyknow if I could install one of those short shifters to my CTR or does it need a different model short shifter?

Hmmm...good question. Regan do you know? I still haven't installed mine, but should finally get around to it this week! :o

02SilverSiHB
01-16-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Skidtron89

]

If the overall height of the shifter including the height of the shift knob is reduced the throw is shorter. I don't see why you think it wouldn't be it's basic geometry or common sense. The stick isn't as tall so it can't travel as far anymore using the stock height as a reference point a shorter shift knob will reduce the throw of teh shifter quite a bit. I died (The opposite of tapped) the rest of the shift lever on my car and then chopped off about 3/4 of an inch of the top of the threads and then put on a shorter shift knob and the throw is drastically reduced. We dod this to all of my freinds cars and you don't alter the geometry of the stock linkage below the pivot point so the shift forks don't get fucked up like on typical short throw shifters that alter the pivot point but don't alter teh length of the shift rods hence giving you too much or too little movement in the selector rod and contributing to transmission failure. Ever here of peoples trannys popping out of gera with short throw shifters. Thats why.........
yeah okay! :rolleyes: if that's what you want to believe. That's mad short shiften yo! :confused:

Skidtron89
01-16-2003, 10:13 PM
Believe whatever you want and go ahead and alter your stock factory engineered shift linkage. I could careless if you fuck up you ride because I'll get paid to fix them. I am a mechanic part time soon to be full time. That just means more money in my pocket.

02SilverSiHB
01-16-2003, 10:18 PM
Believe whatever you want and go ahead and alter your stock factory engineered shift linkage. I could careless if you fuck up you ride because I'll get paid to fix them. I am a mechanic part time soon to be full time. That just means more money in my pocket.
first of all I'm not getting one because I don't need one.
Secondly it won't screw anything up. I had one on my 97 Civic EX for 5 years and nothing went wrong.
Third, you have no clue. Go take a geometry glass. A shorter knob won't do the trick, that's what I quoted that guy from.

Skidtron89
01-16-2003, 10:25 PM
I'll take a geometry class if yo can say you honestly think altering the shift lever action is making the distance the shift forks in the transmission move faster and does so with out any harm what so ever. Although i don't have a way to prove it I have repaired and helped repair many cars with the classic short shifter on rod type shift linkage cars that damaged the shift forks and or synchros due to te short shifter. Not to mention the reason it feels harder most of teh time to shift a car that has a short shifter its because you are forcing it to move in ways that it wasn't designed to move in. Once again its geometry. And also to add to the last point you no longer have the proper mechanical advantage anymore yet another reason why it seems harder to shift. Or stiffer as most people describe it.

02SilverSiHB
01-16-2003, 10:32 PM
I'll take a geometry class if yo can say you honestly think altering the shift lever action is making the distance the shift forks in the transmission move faster and does so with out any harm what so ever. Although i don't have a way to prove it I have repaired and helped repair many cars with the classic short shifter on rod type shift linkage cars that damaged the shift forks and or synchros due to te short shifter. Not to mention the reason it feels harder most of teh time to shift a car that has a short shifter its because you are forcing it to move in ways that it wasn't designed to move in. Once again its geometry. And also to add to the last point you no longer have the proper mechanical advantage anymore yet another reason why it seems harder to shift. Or stiffer as most people describe it.
your right in the fact that it is doing something the tranny isn't designed for. If someone installs one and shifts hard, they will eventually screw their tranny up because it's sending the linkage in too soon for the synchros. Now if you're me, you won't slame the gears, because you don't need to...because that's what a short shifter is for. How can I and other have so many installed and only a small % screw their tranny. It's how they drive the car. I feel the short shifter isn't needed in this car because the shift are short enough. putting on a shorter knob doesn't change the way the shifter is designed. The length between the pivot ball of the short shifter and the part where it connects to the linkage is the key. If you look at a stock one and compare it to an aftermarket one you will see the difference.

Skidtron89
01-16-2003, 10:42 PM
I know what your saying and that is true but what I'm saying is my mnethod gives a short throw on the top of the lever but stcok throw on the bottom of the lever. Do you understand? It's hard to explain but if the lever is the same everywhere but above the pivot point where it is now shorter in height then the throw or the lever (Only the part you touch not the tranny parts) is shortened not only in height duh! but in the distance it travels between teh gears as a 5 ft pole sweeping back and forth does not have the range of a 10ft pole. The difference is only a inch or so in height but you would be very surprised to see and feel teh difference in the throw from stock to how my setup is. I am serious when I say it is the best way and not just cause it's my way. I have also had a short throw shifter in teh past and it would barely let you get into 3rd gear and would sometimes pop out even! and this was just regular driving. It was a neuspeed I think I can't remember but they are all facsimlies of each other on that type anyways.

Skidtron89
01-16-2003, 11:00 PM
Here is a pic I whipped up trying to show you what I'm saying uin case you think I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Skidtron89
01-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Hey how come it didn't post???? WTF? Well I'll email it to anyone that wants to see it then.

Suk02Si
01-16-2003, 11:18 PM
did you try attaching the pic? I haven't been able to attach a pic all night, wonder what's up...

02SilverSiHB
01-17-2003, 05:12 AM
Here is a pic I whipped up trying to show you what I'm saying uin case you think I have no idea what I'm talking about.
here's a pic of a shorter shifter on top and a stock one on bottome...this is for 96-00 civics.

http://draggin99si.8k.com/temp/IMG_1181.JPG

Now notice how the skunk2 is actually longer in appearance? That's what I'm trying to get to. Just because you shrink the shifter, by lets say putting on a shorter knob, or cutting the shifter shorter will do nothing to give you a real shorter shift. The part that is between the pivot ball and the hole is what is important. Because that part is longer, it is able to push the linkage in sooner than the stock one....that is my point

ssvr6
01-17-2003, 06:57 AM
Unfortunately Skidtron89, your logic doesn't work with the EP, hence the argument.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/s/ssvr6/Misc/shifter_throw.jpg

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/s/ssvr6/Misc/EP_Shifter_throw.jpg

Do you understand now why no matter how short your cut the shift rod on the EP that it just won't matter. The pivot point is the same, only your hand placement has changed.

02SilverSiHB
01-17-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
Unfortunately Skidtron89, your logic doesn't work with the EP, hence the argument.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/s/ssvr6/Misc/shifter_throw.jpg

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/s/ssvr6/Misc/EP_Shifter_throw.jpg

Do you understand now why no matter how short your cut the shift rod on the EP that it just won't matter. The pivot point is the same, only your hand placement has changed.
if he doesn't get it now....I give up!

Dunrick
01-17-2003, 09:09 AM
Not to butt into your interesting convy here - but Steve, now w/ a short shifter, is it further away from you now? (more of a reach)

ssvr6
01-17-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Dunrick
Not to butt into your interesting convy here - but Steve, now w/ a short shifter, is it further away from you now? (more of a reach)

Yes, but it's a negliable distance.

Steve

padelong si
02-08-2003, 07:18 PM
Here is a place to get a short shifter.
http://www.tornactive.com/pd_neuspeed_billet.cfm

4g63dsm
02-11-2003, 05:48 PM
the car shifts so smoothly stock, does the short shifter make it not as smooth?