PDA

View Full Version : EP weight reduction article in one of the mags?

gabe_
05-20-2004, 07:42 PM
I remember hearing somewhere that one of the mags had an article about weight reduction in the EP. Is this true? If so, which one is it, and which issue?

Thanks!

02NJHondaep3
05-20-2004, 09:50 PM
i heard new import tuner. i'm going to get it tomorrow. Thats not a bad idea.

STP03BlueSI
05-21-2004, 07:09 AM
Weight reduction...remove rear seats:D

BlairSpeed
05-21-2004, 07:19 AM
are they that heavy?

k20whiteboi269
05-21-2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by BlairSpeed
are they that heavy?

yea they are for a civic. if i remember right its around 2600-2700 pounds + plus passengers. correct me if wrong

BlasTech
05-21-2004, 07:24 AM
jack, spare, rear seats & seatbelts add up to about 94 lbs.

Stock EP3 weighs in at about 2744.

jaydub
05-21-2004, 07:36 AM
the rear seats are deceptively heavy, so are the fronts. If your race permits removing the passenger seat, I'd bet that'll save you a good 30-40lb.

Then again, I'm not much of a reducer, as I threw speakers in the trunk and about 40lb. of sound deadening. :D

k20whiteboi269
05-21-2004, 07:40 AM
hey gabe...... i just noticed you are from GR. well im in kalamazoo about 25 mins south of you. pm if you ever come the kzoo area..

gabe_
05-21-2004, 07:57 AM
I know the obvious ways to reduce weight. I am more interested in the not so obvious methods out there. I am also interested in specific weights of stock parts, compared to after market alternatives.

For example - The stock battery weighs about 30 lbs. A Hawker G13EP battery can be picked up for about $35 and weighs in at only 10.8 lbs. After you add shipping, and automotive posts, the total comes to around $50. $50 for a 20 lb weight savings that does not effect the comfort, or driveability of the car is WELL spent money.

Another example - How much weight is REALLY saved by going to the CF hatch? There was a rumor going around this board that it was heavier... then someone said "no way, it is lighter..." Why should I believe one person over another? Especially when neither of them took the time to weigh each piece. If I recall, the person saying it was lighter than stock was also trying to sell them. I could be wrong though. Either way, $500 is not worth it if it only saves 2 lbs over stock.

These are the kinds of things that I would hope a major publication would address. If Import Tuner's article does cover this type of stuff, I will definitely pick it up.

k20whiteboi269 - Are you going to be coming to the West Michigan Honda Meet at Gingerman Raceway? It's a lapping event that a couple of my friends and I are putting on. Currently all of the driver spots are full, but everyone is welcome to come watch/hang out. More details are available on our website at http://www.ef-honda.com/wmhm/ (http://www.ef-honda.com/wmhm)

We are also going to be holding mini weekend meets throughout the summer up here in GR. I would love to see you out there. More details on that can be found on my website at http://www.ef-honda.com/. There is a lot West Michigan people on that board.

Ep3 No.2
05-21-2004, 08:10 AM
yah its out on the new import tuner.
as well as the huge typo forthe feature on chucks car =O/

BlasTech
05-21-2004, 08:47 AM
JIC coilovers are about 12lbs less than the stock ones, but the rear camber kit is 1 more pound added from the pair of arms it replaces.

The 2.25 aluminized steel midpipe I have weights 1 lb less than the stock midpipe and resonator.

At cornerweighting, my car totalled up to 2712 with 1/2 tank. I plan to get a Hawker battery myself, too, but there are only so many weight-reducing things you can do for autocross before you are moved into a different class and racing the stripped out trailer queens.

mrsoul55
05-21-2004, 08:52 AM
I don't have my rulebook handy so can somebody answer this? Can you replace the stock battery with a lightweight one like the Hawker battery and still remain in the stock category?

SubliminalSi
05-21-2004, 09:00 AM
I know that NemisisITR took everything out except the drivers seat and free'd up about 150. That includes carpet and that stuff under it and panels.

Ep3 No.2
05-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by gabe_
Another example - How much weight is REALLY saved by going to the CF hatch? There was a rumor going around this board that it was heavier... then someone said "no way, it is lighter..." Why should I believe one person over another? Especially when neither of them took the time to weigh each piece. If I recall, the person saying it was lighter than stock was also trying to sell them. I could be wrong though. Either way, $500 is not worth it if it only saves 2 lbs over stock.

yah it supposedly only saves u 2lbs but people dont by the c/f hatch for weight savings. its more of a bling factor =O). just like a body kit.

not all people are builing track and drag cars.

mental
05-21-2004, 11:06 AM
thats cuz nemesis is just a straight up player

BlasTech
05-21-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by mrsoul55
I don't have my rulebook handy so can somebody answer this? Can you replace the stock battery with a lightweight one like the Hawker battery and still remain in the stock category?

Im 99% certain you can, and I definitely wouldnt protest it.

gabe_
05-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Im 99% certain you can, and I definitely wouldnt protest it.

I just browsed through the rule book, and I kind of think that it may be illegal. I doubt you would have anyone complain though, especially at a regional level.

From page 83 of the rule book:

"Alternate components which are normally expendable and considered replacement parts (e.g., engine and wheel bearings, seals, gaskets, etc.) may be used provided they are the same type and size as the standard parts and used in the same location. This does not include camshafts, differential covers, or ring-and-pinion sets."

I believe this would cover the battery, especially since the "Electrical System" section under the Stock class section makes no mention of batteries.

EtherGhost
05-21-2004, 03:15 PM
I think that the battery mod would be legal for STS, which is what most people are in anyways :D

The make, model number, and size of the battery may be changed but not its voltage. Relocation of the battery or batteries is permitted but not into the passenger compartment. If the battery is relocated and the original battery tray can be removed by simply unbolting it, the tray may be removed, or relocated with the battery. Holes may be drilled for mounting or passage of cables. Longer cables may be substituted to permit relocation. The number of battery or batteries may not be changed from stock. The area behind the rearmost seat is not considered to be within the passenger compartment.

SiRRider
05-22-2004, 04:08 AM
Take 2 lugs of each wheel!!! THat should be good for a pound.lol

audomatik
05-22-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by SiRRider
Take 2 lugs of each wheel!!! THat should be good for a pound.lol

you are freakin macgyver... haha. now that takes some thought to think up something like that... hahaha thanks for the laugh :D

freidaddy
05-22-2004, 02:24 PM
I know that NemisisITR took everything out except the drivers seat and free'd up about 150. That includes carpet and that stuff under it and panels.

Me too, Except I took out the rear wiper he didn't!;)

eurosteez
05-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Theres that sunroof mod that takes off 30 lbs of the highest part of the car.

serialdriller
05-23-2004, 08:18 AM
go to the gym everyday and that will eliminate up to 20 pounds over time if you are a fat albert.

NemesisITR
05-24-2004, 11:38 AM
I took out 150 lbs by taking out everything in the back, plus the carpet and 90% of the sound deading material. Then I took out the front passenger seat which weighed 42lbs. I put it back in tho, got lonely:D . Now I just recently took out the rear wiper, but thats only like a couple lbs, havent weighed it tho.

Dry weight the Ep weighs 2615 bone stock (Grassroots Motorsports). So mine should be around 2465 dry.

I need to get mine corner weighted also. Not sure where to do it around here. Might try Bobby Archer's in Fort Worth and see if they'll do it.

plpong893
05-24-2004, 06:10 PM
does the carpet cover under the back seat???

NemesisITR
05-24-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by plpong893
does the carpet cover under the back seat???

No it doesn't. The carpet only goes up to the "cliff" of the backseat. The backseat bottom cushion covers the metal and your fuel pump. There is a piece of carpet that leads into the hatch area but there is no full cover of carpet under the backseat.

oldschoolimport
05-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by serialdriller
go to the gym everyday and that will eliminate up to 20 pounds over time if you are a fat albert. F*CK YOU!:mad: :D