PDA

View Full Version : Rim painting?

whiteSIR
05-21-2004, 10:41 AM
I have a white 03 SIR and i just wanted to paint my stalk honda rims black... do u think i can pull it off with some good spray paints? or do u think it will not stick to the rims? i am broke lol!

Ep3 No.2
05-21-2004, 01:31 PM
do a search buddy.

heres a quick answer for u
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36549

TrippZ
06-22-2004, 12:56 PM
hey dude, i painted my rims. tjhey'll work but you gotta take your time.

1) clean rims and degrease
2) using high grit sand paper (i used 1,000) sand areas that you want to paint
3) clean using water and alcohol
4) mask off tires and areas you odnt want painted
5) start spraying. do light coats. I used a primer for the first few coats. you don't have to i don't thikn
6) let them dry, use a heat gun too, I didnt, and my rims are starting to feel some sideeffects from it. i think i used a weak paint.

its not that hard but youll be very nervous doing them. these are after all pretty expensive pieces of metal!

SiD 03
04-20-2008, 11:01 AM
I painted my rims too. It really easy to do if you take the proper prep time. For me I used Dupli-color Wheel paint (about $4 a can).
I took about a week of sanding and preping the wheels. You only need to use 320 grit paper but you can use higher. Then it took about an hour to paint. It only takes 3 hours before you can handle them. I used a can and a half of paint and half a can of clear coat.

K2OH2SLOW
04-20-2008, 01:16 PM
yeah, i plan on repaintin my motegi's on tuesday... we shall see how good this turns out

TTownEP
04-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm planning on bead-blasting mine (because I have access to a booth) and painting it with automotive paint and clearcoat. Anyone know of a reason why I shouldn't bead blast?

smoody
04-27-2008, 09:08 PM
after spraying the paint that I wanted before the clear coat would I need to scuff up the paint and then add the clear coat or after painting you can just go head add the clear coat?

ALL MotoR Ep3
04-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Bump ... Does Anybody know the whats the color of stock 03 si rims?

TTownEP
04-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Silver.

:mangel:

But they should be red like yours. Those things are hawt.

tdman77
04-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Bump ... Does Anybody know the whats the color of stock 03 si rims?

I just painted my 03 stock rims this past weekend. I used Duplicolor silver wheel paint and clear coat. It is such a close match to stock you can't tell the color difference from the wheels and unpainted center caps. Here is a pic of a finished wheel, sorry no center cap.

SiD 03
05-06-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm planning on bead-blasting mine (because I have access to a booth) and painting it with automotive paint and clearcoat. Anyone know of a reason why I shouldn't bead blast?

I don't know any reason not too. Just make sure not to use too coarse of media. Let us know how it goes.

sub_01
05-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Sand them down and than prime and then use high temp paint.

SSM
05-07-2008, 05:57 PM
do it, then show us...

and we'll tell u if u made a mistake or not.. :mbiggrin:

TTownEP
05-07-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm sure it will be fine, I just wondered if anyone had encountered any problems. I'll be using a glass media. I've spent many an hour in front of that blaster, and the only thing the glass media has messed up is plastic stuff, and even then only if the pressure is turned up too high. Maybe when Uncle Sam gets my money back to me, I can do it...

Deadphishy
05-07-2008, 07:18 PM

If you take it to bare metal you'll need a metal primer, something self etching. Other then that it should work out good. also don't rush it, let the clear cure for a decent amount of time before you put them on the car.

I'm doing my wheels saturday. A nice bronze, to keep the car low key. Now it's time to learn how to tint my own windows.

RedSiBaron
05-07-2008, 07:27 PM
the rims in my avatar and in my members ride i painted myself...

1) i cleaned them laquer thinner

2)sanded with 320 grit (do not sand hard or go higher than 600 grit, you dont want to create a buffed sheen, you just need to allow for the paint to adhere to the old surface)

3)mask the wheels/tires off appropriately

4)i used duplicolor durable wheel paint, its 3.50 a can, buy 1 per wheel, and when you paint start with a light dusting, take your time, thinking about how you overlap your spray pattern

5)i suggest allowing a week or 2 for hte paint to setup before mounting tires or expecting them not to chip...even the best paint will chip if its not given enough time to setup...

6)enjoy!!

mannyboy23
05-08-2008, 08:16 AM
I plan on painting my wheels in the next couple of weeks the flat black is old gonna repaint them the stock color

TTownEP
05-08-2008, 07:26 PM
don't rush it, let the clear cure for a decent amount of time before you put them on the car.

A nice bronze, to keep the car low key.

Yeah, I've learned my lesson on letting things dry all the way. I actually painted a motorcycle that turned out really nice for an old friend. We bought too much clear, so we ended up putting a ton of coats on over several hours. That thing was shiny!

But yeah, that's what I'm planning on doing too, bronze.

revelations
08-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Advanced questions:

1 - For the clearcoat type, should it be a "softer" finish (ie acrylic) so that rocks wont cause as many chips or would you go with a "harder" finish?

2 - Should one sand or otherwise prep the paint prior to clearcoat

3 - For those with chipping issues, did you use a clear coat and/or let the wheels dry off for a while before installing them?

devinblue
08-20-2008, 09:21 AM
All this talk about painting rims has got me wondering...tell me what you think:

Keep 'em the way they are
Bronze
Black

revelations
08-20-2008, 09:50 AM
black

JDMtunerEP3
08-20-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm still unsure about painting rims...

If i did any color changing i would go with powder coating.

It may be more expensive but atleast you know the finsih would come out nicer and last alot longer!

mattism78
08-20-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm still unsure about painting rims...

If i did any color changing i would go with powder coating.

It may be more expensive but atleast you know the finsih would come out nicer and last alot longer!

Not always true. I've had wheels powder coated and they still chipped. At least with paint you can touch it up yourself.

JDMtunerEP3
08-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Yea that's definitely a good point!

It's just a headache cleaning the rims and laying out a nice finish.

ep3fonso
03-24-2010, 11:42 AM
i got some rsx type S rims over the weekend for 100 bucks = ) plan on painting them purple this weekend should look pretty tiight =)

SHG_EasyE
03-24-2010, 12:14 PM
This new site is difficult because its hard to say if these threads are really from 08 or not. But regardless for anyone who looks its easy enough to find a DIY on painting wheels, but I can reccomend the best inexpensive paint to use. Duplicolor engine enamel has served me well over the years, and as long as you do good prep work the paint will last for quite some time.

cody_sir
03-25-2010, 06:33 AM
i also used duplicolor on my rims and i could not be happier

insomniaEP
03-25-2010, 09:45 AM
duplicolor ftw