PDA

View Full Version : Jdm Mayhem

mental
05-21-2004, 11:34 AM
wow holy shit i am never ever moving to japan.. did you know...
the average cost of mandatroy driving school in japan is 5000$, the average cost of a speeding ticket is 500-1000$ it is required that obtain a parking sport or garage for you car and register it with the local police station this can cost almost 300$ a month, every 2 years you have a mandatory vechile inspection just like in the US only it covers the entire vechile, body,tires, wheels, motor, and this average inspection can cost are you ready for this can be from 1000 to 5000 dollars and aswell god forbid you have anything wrong because anything that needs to be fixed can dramtically increase this price and last but not least.. you have to pay a yearly tax that is dependent on make model and displacement... anyone ever wondered why there is a huge surplus of oem part from japan.. well now you know...

Si3
05-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Everything cost a lot more there, but average pay is also higher there...

in the U.S. Look at what a decent waitress makes in California ($15 p/hour cash) go down to some hillbilly town in Iowa (same person, same job, mabe $5 an hour)

National Economy is tricky to understand, International is damn near impossible!

-Aj-

penguin
05-24-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by mental
the average cost of mandatroy driving school in japan is 5000$,
[/i]

Yup, sure is. And during your first year of your license you are not considered a professional driver; therefore, if you get in an accident, fault will be allocated mainly to the other driver because they were a professional driver (if driving over 1 year). That's why they have 'lil leaf sticker on their cars (new driver)

Originally posted by mental the average cost of a speeding ticket is 500-1000$[/i]

No, it's not. They have rates there just like over here. Different infractions are assesed with different fines.

Originally posted by mental it is required that obtain a parking sport or garage for you car and register it with the local police station this can cost almost 300$ a month[/i]

It depends where you live. In the country, while it is still required, it's not enforced. Larger cities are different. Most decent apartments and homes are allocated a certain number of spots. All you do is register your car and show them proof of residency. Then, they confirm how many vehicles are at that address and how many spots assigned. If there are spots available, you pay nothing (whoever owns the spot will charge you-like the apartment owner. If in house, you're taxed). If no spots are available, you have to rent a spot. They can become quite expensive. National average's are too hard as each city is different.

Originally posted by mental every 2 years you have a mandatory vechile inspection just like in the US only it covers the entire vechile, body,tires, wheels, motor, and this average inspection can cost are you ready for this can be from 1000 to 5000 dollars and aswell god forbid you have anything wrong because anything that needs to be fixed can dramtically increase this price[/i]

JCI or Japanese Compulsary Insurance. Yup, every two years you take your car to a JCI shop and they will check it. JCI on Okinawa, for a normal car, was about $500. If major things are wrong, you have to correct them before your car can be JCId. That is added into the bill. For all purposes, just consider the JCI bill the repair bill (they are different, but you pay all at the same time). If you knew a nice shop, you could just pay a lil...lol.

Originally posted by mental and last but not least.. you have to pay a yearly tax that is dependent on make model and displacement... anyone ever wondered why there is a huge surplus of oem part from japan.. well now you know... [/i]

That's what that number (300, 500, etc) is on the license plates of Japanese car's are. It tells you the range of the engine code for taxes. The lower the number, the bigger gas guzzler or non-envioronmentaly friendly car it is (higher number plates also turn from white to yellow-K cars). As for the tax, I never paid it because I was an American service member. However, there is a tax but most people pay it when they JCI their cars. Unlike America, you can (at least in Okinawa) pay more for a longer JCI. Weird. Or maybe the shop was just scamming the gov't...lol

DingDong02Si
06-23-2004, 10:01 AM
Thats why you see thousands of them riding bikes down the street! lol :winkm:

kidXStreme
06-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Thats why you see thousands of them riding bikes down the street! lol :winkm:

hahah true true...............do they street race bicycles??? :p

SiR Phil
06-30-2004, 08:25 AM
That's what that number (300, 500, etc) is on the license plates of Japanese car's are. It tells you the range of the engine code for taxes. The lower the number, the bigger gas guzzler or non-envioronmentaly friendly car it is (higher number plates also turn from white to yellow-K cars). As for the tax, I never paid it because I was an American service member. However, there is a tax but most people pay it when they JCI their cars. Unlike America, you can (at least in Okinawa) pay more for a longer JCI. Weird. Or maybe the shop was just scamming the gov't...lol

I can't confirm if this is includes Okinawa, but I know that on the mainland if you wish to own a car but do not have your own parking space (aka a driveway), then you are NOT permitted to own any car with an engine larger than 1.0L, hence the yellow plates on all the minicars.