PDA

View Full Version : what shocks for stock springs?

mrsoul55
05-21-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm looking to get some shocks for my car but will be staying on the stock springs. I want to remain in Gstock for autox and can't change the springs. What do you all recommend?

TireRack has some Konis listed but I've used the search and found that some people had to have them altered because they didn't fit correctly. Is that true? Also, why does TireRack list a 50.5mm and a 53.8mm outer diameter choice? Which would I need if they do fit properly? My car is a 2002 Si.

Any other good ones besides Koni?

Thanks for any help.

Tenacious G
05-21-2004, 01:06 PM
the konis fit fine, but they're just inserts so you'll have to cut into the stock strut housing.

unless KYB has released their struts, the konis are the only option i know of.

mrsoul55
05-21-2004, 01:09 PM
TireRack lists the KYB AGX as being available for the '02 Si. They're on backorder though. Are these comparable to the Koni's? They're considerably cheaper!

03silverEP
05-21-2004, 01:15 PM
the diff. specs on the Koni's is because 1/2 way through production in 2002 Honda changed the shock size. Since you're a 2002, you would need to call Koni w/your VIN and ask which set your car req. The Konis are good shocks but you do have to cut you stock struts and core them out to slide the Koni inserts in. Tokico and KYB are 'supposto' be releasing aftermarker shocks soon (but they've been saying that for over 1.5 years) but when they are released they will be a complete replacement and they will have a relocated mounting point for the tie-rod ends (to reduce bumpsteer, on lowered EPs, EMs, and DC5s due to the odd suspension design)

**wonder if you could get away w/a stock 19mm RSX-S sway or 22mm ITR/CTR sway in that class (they are all painted factory black... ;)

mrsoul55
05-21-2004, 05:34 PM
I'm concerned about the relocated mounting point for the tie rod ends. Would that move the car out of G-stock for autox competition?

Tenacious G
05-21-2004, 06:47 PM
i think it does