PDA

View Full Version : Paint Chip

Acidburn
10-22-2002, 10:49 AM
Hey guys,

I got a paint scratch right above the right headlight, it was a rock I guess. Actually, its more of a chip than a scratch. Do you think I can fix that up with some touch up paint? Or should I just leave it alone and get a pro to clean it up. Its a pretty deep chip on the paint, I can see white. Anyway, any suggestions will be great - i hate the look of a tiny white chip on my glossy ass black paint. It's like a pimple on my clean ass face :D jk

AkronSi
10-22-2002, 10:54 AM
Mother's makes a Paint Chip repair kit and another company called Langka makes a kit as well. They are supposed to be pretty good, and will cost about $15-20.

You use your standard touch-up paint and then once the paint sets, use a some sort of liquid from these kits that allows you to even the paint out.

I've been meaning to get some, but don't want to pay for the shipping. I'm trying to find a local place first.

I think that autobarn.com carries the Mother's stuff.

IceD out N CALI
11-06-2002, 08:18 PM
touchup paint should do the trick:)

Spidey
11-07-2002, 12:23 PM
What do you guys think of the paint quality on our cars? Is it good? I just remember reading about Nissan Sentra's Peeling and Subaru WRX soft paint jobs. My concern was the inevitable
rock chips on the front bumper and hood. I thought of going with the 3m Rockguard stuff but thought why bother when I'm likely to sell the car in 5 years anyway and get a new one.

1 fstr si
12-05-2002, 10:09 AM
i think the paint quality is damn good on our cars. i detail lexus' for a living and i think we have great paint quality. before i got my EP i had a 92 pontiac grand am and i had to get the entire car repainted because of GM's paint problems. i had a spot of missing paint on the hood and was driving down the road one day and a cross wind hit my car and got right in that spot, and i guess the whole paint section on the hood wasnt even on the hood, all i saw was this big sheet of green paint take off into the air and shatter on the ground. pretty wierd stuff.

BarracksSi
12-08-2002, 02:48 PM
LOL

Oh my, that must've been a sight. I always wondered why GM cars' paint always looked like ass.

i-WERKS
12-09-2002, 11:36 AM
I tried that Mothers Paint chip repair kit and I must say that it's quite difficult to use. You have to put on a glob of touch up paint. Wait until it dries, then with a cloth over the provide card, you have to rub it until it's smooth. Most of the time, I rubbed it too much and the touch up paint just came off. After you use this, the touch up paint becomes dull. I've tried several layers of wax and it seems to be a little better. This product isn't as good as I thought it would be.

cram
12-10-2002, 03:33 PM
i've used the mothers paint chip repair. it actually works really well. it comes out kind of dull because the touch up paint doesn't have clear coat. add a coat of clear coat after u finish and it should look beautimous =D