PDA

View Full Version : Those with new springs and stock shocks. Have you noticed....

02SilverSiHB
10-22-2002, 11:53 AM
How bouncy the car is, if you hit a bump or if the road is not perfect (the road sways up and down, basically nasty streets). I used to own a 97 civic and it was never like that, but I had upgraded shocks. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed. I'm hoping it's not because of the new front suspension design.

IceD out N CALI
10-22-2002, 02:33 PM
I have eibach sportlines about 1 1/2" drop since may, and (so far) no bouncing:)

HondaMan
10-22-2002, 09:57 PM
Yeah, its not pretty when driving on crappy roads. I hope nice shocks make it better.

SmoothOperator
10-22-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
I have eibach sportlines about 1 1/2" drop since may, and (so far) no bouncing:)

Same here. I'm impressed with these springs.

02SilverSiHB
10-23-2002, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
sounds like it's the shocks. these springs have a high spring rate, so that could be the prob. it isn't bad, only a little less performing feeling when I'm going over crappy roads....like the shocks can't keep up with the bound/rebound

OrganDonar 8=D
10-23-2002, 02:53 PM
after having my springs on for 5k miles i feel it getting more bouncy

02TafWhtSi
10-24-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by OrganDonar 8=D
after having my springs on for 5k miles i feel it getting more bouncy

I would immagine - your stockers are working marder than with the orig. springs. You are putting more force on them and they are wearing out faster - I'd say by 8 K miles they'll be shot. I've had my Pro-kits on for about 1,400 miles and no big difference yet but its still kinda early to tell.

JSIR
10-24-2002, 07:44 PM
I've got Pro-kits and there isn't any bounciness at all, they seem like perfect springst to mate up to the stock shocks.

Now, are you sure you aren't feeling the added responsiveness of the springs and as opposed to bounciness. When you add stiffer springs the vehicle reponds much quicker over dips and bumps in the road, giving you that jerky quick jolt feeling. You get one up and down motion per bump/dip but it is much quicker and can give you a bit of a jolt. Bounciness is when the vehicle suspension has more than one up and down motion for each bump or dip in the road. Thus it continues to bounce after you hit the bump/dip. A lot of people mistake the first sensation with bounciness, but they are different.

SiCivic2k2
10-25-2002, 12:25 AM
I think I need new shocks, but I don't know which ones fit or are the best? Any recommendations?

02SilverSiHB
10-25-2002, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by JSIR
I've got Pro-kits and there isn't any bounciness at all, they seem like perfect springst to mate up to the stock shocks.

Now, are you sure you aren't feeling the added responsiveness of the springs and as opposed to bounciness. When you add stiffer springs the vehicle reponds much quicker over dips and bumps in the road, giving you that jerky quick jolt feeling. You get one up and down motion per bump/dip but it is much quicker and can give you a bit of a jolt. Bounciness is when the vehicle suspension has more than one up and down motion for each bump or dip in the road. Thus it continues to bounce after you hit the bump/dip. A lot of people mistake the first sensation with bounciness, but they are different.
yeah, that's what I'm feeling. That's why I'm saying I thought it was the shocks that can't keep up with the bound/rebound. But yeah, you got what I was saying. I shouldn't say bouncing, but it's more like jolts. It doesn't continue to bounce.
As for those with prokit's, I had those on my EX......10,000 miles later, the shocks started leaking. So I don't think it will help much. But then again, this is a totally different car, so I could be wrong

02SilverSiHB
10-25-2002, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by SiCivic2k2
I think I need new shocks, but I don't know which ones fit or are the best? Any recommendations?
so far, koni is the only company out with shocks, and as you know, we have to cut the stock shocks (in the front) to fit a perch over them. The rears are a striaght swap

todaCspec
10-25-2002, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

so far, koni is the only company out with shocks, and as you know, we have to cut the stock shocks (in the front) to fit a perch over them. The rears are a striaght swap

those are for the 01+ civics,not for 02 si. i called up Neuspeed and they didn't have any available yet.

02SilverSiHB
10-25-2002, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by todaCspec

those are for the 01+ civics,not for 02 si. i called up Neuspeed and they didn't have any available yet.
yeah, same setup as ours though. Cone Killer (I think that's the name on here) put them on his car. He blew the front ones like three times and talked with some people at Koni, and eventually he got it to work now. I think he said something about wanting some specifically for the si, so, that's why I'm not going to blow my money on the shocks.

02SilverSiHB
10-25-2002, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by todaCspec

scratch what I said about cone killer, it's ColinCivicSiR who did that, he's up in Canada
Check his profile for mods http://ephatchcom.siteprotect.net/forum/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=108

ColinCivicSiR
10-25-2002, 04:28 PM
I blew two shocks but I was racing and had them on full hard, got hydrostatic lock and I think they blew because of that, I blew the seals on one but the other actually came apart in two pieces. I wish I had taken some pictures, it was not good....took me two hours to drive to my work wich was close to the track, usually takes 15 minutes.

Anyway the current shocks offered by Koni will fit our car but they are not specifically valved for it, they are set up for the civic coupes and sedans, which weigh alot less and have different spring rates.

The current koni's offered also raise the rear spring perch by 1/2 an inch.

Koni has released a set of shcos for the RSX and the Civic Type R but the front shocks are not the same as ours, our I think are 52mm inside diameter of the strut housing after you cut it and the RSX and Civic Type R are 55mm.

I will either send my shocks off for re-valving before next race season or get the Civic Type R shocks. I have a friend who works at an acura dealer and he is going to keep an eye out for blown RSX shocks to I can use thier bodies with the Type R shocks.

Thier is also a difference with the strut mounting bolts for the hubs, ours uses 16mm bolts both upper and lower, the civic coupe uses 14mm upper and lower and the RSX uses 16mm lower and 14mm upper, so if you do this swap you will have to get the right bolts. This is not a big deal because both honda and acura offer camber adjusting bolts for our cars in the different sizes.

02SilverSiHB
10-25-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by ColinCivicSiR
I blew two shocks but I was racing and had them on full hard, got hydrostatic lock and I think they blew because of that, I blew the seals on one but the other actually came apart in two pieces. I wish I had taken some pictures, it was not good....took me two hours to drive to my work wich was close to the track, usually takes 15 minutes.

Anyway the current shocks offered by Koni will fit our car but they are not specifically valved for it, they are set up for the civic coupes and sedans, which weigh alot less and have different spring rates.

The current koni's offered also raise the rear spring perch by 1/2 an inch.

Koni has released a set of shcos for the RSX and the Civic Type R but the front shocks are not the same as ours, our I think are 52mm inside diameter of the strut housing after you cut it and the RSX and Civic Type R are 55mm.

I will either send my shocks off for re-valving before next race season or get the Civic Type R shocks. I have a friend who works at an acura dealer and he is going to keep an eye out for blown RSX shocks to I can use thier bodies with the Type R shocks.

Thier is also a difference with the strut mounting bolts for the hubs, ours uses 16mm bolts both upper and lower, the civic coupe uses 14mm upper and lower and the RSX uses 16mm lower and 14mm upper, so if you do this swap you will have to get the right bolts. This is not a big deal because both honda and acura offer camber adjusting bolts for our cars in the different sizes.
damn man....once again, you make my head sping :D you know your shit!