PDA

View Full Version : VTEC Solenoid went out?! WTF!

WrathOfAZSI
05-23-2004, 10:56 AM
So after I changed my oil a few days ago, my car stalled out after it warmed up. So I'm thinking, maybe I bumped an O2 sensor. Nope, everything looks good. So I sputtered it down to Autozone to use the scanning tool, "secondary camshaft sensor?" WTF is that? Long story short, Honda charged me $75 after replacing one of the solenoids. What happened to my F'n warranty? "Sorry, it doesn't cover the diagnosis process." Bullshit. Anyhoo, was just wondering if this has randomly happened to anyone else.

Gearhead Geek
05-23-2004, 11:06 AM
the secondary camshaft sensor is a cam position sensor, not a solenoid. when i had the headswap done, they gave the same codes, but after reseating them and letting them get coated with oil, the codes stopped. you may have very well spent $75 for absolutely nothing.

beechstreet
05-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by WrathOfAZSI
Honda charged me $75 after replacing one of the solenoids. What happened to my F'n warranty? "Sorry, it doesn't cover the diagnosis process." Bullshit.

Whats up with the Honda warranty? I've read a lot of posts about people having to pay for things even though they still have the warranty. When I had my pontiac, the warranty covered EVERYTHING that went wrong with that car, and believe me, a lot of crap went wrong with that car. Damn GM products...

Peking
05-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Gearhead Geek
the secondary camshaft sensor is a cam position sensor, not a solenoid. when i had the headswap done, they gave the same codes, but after reseating them and letting them get coated with oil, the codes stopped. you may have very well spent $75 for absolutely nothing.

Yep, looks like they took him for a ride :(

Originally posted by teambeechstreet
Whats up with the Honda warranty? I've read a lot of posts about people having to pay for things even though they still have the warranty. When I had my pontiac, the warranty covered EVERYTHING that went wrong with that car, and believe me, a lot of crap went wrong with that car. Damn GM products...

It really depends, we should consider ourselves lucky compared to some guys. Did you mod the Pontiac? Anyway all dealers are not created equal, but unlike some folks (Acura, Subaru, etc. Will usually shut you down quick). Honda dealers are usually pretty cool, and don't sweat ya to hard. Unless it is the part that caused the problem, then you are on your own.

beechstreet
05-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Peking
Did you mod the Pontiac?
Yeah, I modded the Pontiac. Had I/E, ported manifolds, and ported MAF. I'm guessing the dealer I took it to was just cool about mods because I broke the intake air-temp sensor when installing my CAI and the dealer didnt even trip. The ported MAF also threw some codes and the dealer got it all straightened out for me.

So yeah, like you said, not all dealers are created equal. Just thought it was odd that some people have posted about taking in their stock cars to find that something isnt covered under warranty. Could be worse :D

Sorry to take this thread O/T

WrathOfAZSI
05-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Gearhead Geek

That figures. Is it just me? Sometimes I feel like Honda is trying to lose any consumer loyalty they might have once had.

Surprise
05-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by WrathOfAZSI
That figures. Is it just me? Sometimes I feel like Honda is trying to lose any consumer loyalty they might have once had.

I don't think it is Honda the company, but more your local dealership.

StLouisSilverSI
05-24-2004, 04:28 AM
I'd call Honda Customer relations (phone number is in the back of your owners manual) if the car is still under warranty then it should be paid for 100%, unless you have an extended warranty then you may have a deductable in which case you pay the $75 and go on your merry way and pay nothing else no matter how much it costs to fix it...;)