PDA

View Full Version : AEM vs Comptech

redronin22
10-22-2002, 09:12 PM
so with the AEM CAI + AEM bypass valve (60 bucks) u get nearly the same performance with no water sucking for over a 100 bucks in savings? Why go with Comptech then?

Pradamuimui
10-22-2002, 09:40 PM
Ok heres how I see it!! AEM VS Comptech is a hard decision because they are both REAL GOOD companies. But I would go with the Comptech Air Box because I believe that it gives you a couple more hp then AEM's CAI, and it stay cooler since it is made out of plastic, rather then aluminum!!!

civic hatch boi
10-22-2002, 09:46 PM
aem + bypass does NOT give u the same performance, because the bypass valve causes you to lose hp.

2k2civicSi
10-22-2002, 10:21 PM
yeah the comptech tube is compsite there for it stays cooler

02SilverSiHB
10-23-2002, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
aem + bypass does NOT give u the same performance, because the bypass valve causes you to lose hp.
also, notice that the bypass valve has given many clubsi members problems. that damn foam piece became loose and sucked into the throttle body. Luckly it didn't go further than that :eek:

redronin22
10-23-2002, 06:06 AM
dang. didnt know all that. how much power do you think we'd lose with the valve?

ssvr6
10-23-2002, 07:03 AM
About 2hp from what I've read.

Steve

fASTBACK
10-23-2002, 07:06 AM
I think AEM is a better intake b/c i have used it before and its awesome IMO. I never used the comptech ice box but it looks like an awesome intake. On my AEM CAI, It says that "This intake is not to be used with a bypass valve." Does it say the same on yours? I can't see where a bypass valve would fit on the AEM CAI anywhere.

odyessy SI
10-23-2002, 03:52 PM
well i was wondering if they both give out the same sound? from what i've read from people's post the aem intake sounds great.

myeverlovinsir
10-23-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by fASTBACK
I think AEM is a better intake b/c i have used it before and its awesome IMO. I never used the comptech ice box but it looks like an awesome intake. On my AEM CAI, It says that "This intake is not to be used with a bypass valve." Does it say the same on yours? I can't see where a bypass valve would fit on the AEM CAI anywhere.

I agree, no bypass valve should be installed in the AEM CAI, this
gadget will only cause you grief. I have been in and out of rain,
backspray and really wet conditions behind, along side, semi's
and have not seen any ill effect on my performance. When I
Installed it I did not cut any plastic, nor did any extra mods,
basically the piece went in snug in the corner box. I have checked
it during a run in the rain, and found the filter to be dry.
If you are installing a AEM CAI then just be concious of it when
you decide to go into deep water, thats all.:)

As far as sound, you will notice an increase in engine echo from
the intake, while it sucks real hard. Over 6gs it becomes noticeable.
love that sound!

02blksi
10-23-2002, 05:23 PM
it all comes down to FLOW characterstics (who can flow the most air) and intake temperatures, both seem to do reasonably well in both areas were one may get cooler air the other gets more air, its your coin you decide :) --joe

either way you cant go wrong.

JSIR
10-23-2002, 06:15 PM
with respect to this model Civic we won't really know until Comptech releases their unit. Based on the last gen. Civic they pretty much performed the same, give or take a hp. What I have found is that the Comptech Icebox is just much easier to live with from day to day. The filter stays cleaner, and dryer, and it is much easier to service when you need to clean or remove the intake. The Comptech unit also doesn't rub on other body parts like many CAI's do, it is pretty sturdy. I also found the Comptech to have slightly better botttom end power characteristics compared to the AEM, with similar top end power (I've owned both intakes on my last Civic SiR). The AEM always has that mid range power hump from the long tube resonance effect which you don't get with shorter style intakes. I'm looking forward to the Comptech unit for this car.

myeverlovinsir
10-23-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
with respect to this model Civic we won't really know until Comptech releases their unit. Based on the last gen. Civic they pretty much performed the same, give or take a hp. What I have found is that the Comptech Icebox is just much easier to live with from day to day. The filter stays cleaner, and dryer, and it is much easier to service when you need to clean or remove the intake. The Comptech unit also doesn't rub on other body parts like many CAI's do, it is pretty sturdy. I also found the Comptech to have slightly better botttom end power characteristics compared to the AEM, with similar top end power (I've owned both intakes on my last Civic SiR). The AEM always has that mid range power hump from the long tube resonance effect which you don't get with shorter style intakes. I'm looking forward to the Comptech unit for this car.

Forget the comptech, I ran that in my last 99 hatch, it was weak,
and I felt always like I was missing something, the AEM CAI is
best, never a rub, sorry to say JSIR, but I know my AEM CAI
has stood up. This CAI has seen alot, and I would
be dammed to think anything else other than a CAI would
be formidable!

redronin22
10-25-2002, 08:16 PM
ok heard from comptech that the aem has a better power spike up high which comptech lacks. but they stay 1-2 hp within eachother. thats due to the fact that the comptech icebox stays 5 degrees cooler. also the Comptech unit CAN suck up water if u submerge it. so, is carbon fiber worth another $170? aem= 220 comptech= 390??? hmmmm 170 is alot for 1-2 hp. 170 can get me a third of the way to the spoon headers, a valve cover and plug cover or even a rim.. =-)

silver ep
10-25-2002, 09:59 PM
I know its not out yet but the Icebox is like $260 at NOPI

redronin22
10-26-2002, 07:41 AM
260 but i heard u have to buy a short ram as well to hook it up to the ice box. that true? if so 390 sounds right...