PDA

View Full Version : CTR rear sway problem

SiGuy
05-24-2004, 06:48 AM
As the title says. I've got the CTR rear sway and I love the the way my ep handles now. Only problem is that the sway bar is hitting my left control arm, it makes a lot of racket but I can handle that. At a stop the bar is touching the arm. With the way I drive I'm sure it does a lot more than just touch. I have the bar as high up in the bracket as it will go. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? Maybe longer sway bar links? I need this fixed before my next autox. Thanks guys.

Btrthnezr3
05-24-2004, 06:54 AM
From the problem you described...it seems as if you have installed your bar backwards/upside down, whatever you want to call it. I installed the sway bar 3 times on EP's and the left side should clear the control arm completely. You'll notice the two ends of the sway bar are shaped completely different. My advice would be to go back, jack everything up, take it off, and turn it around...make sure and grease your bushings really really well inside and out also, to avoid further problems in the future with that. If you need pics...I might have some laying around. Hope this helps. Good Luck, if you need anything else, hit me up.

SiGuy
05-24-2004, 07:19 AM
Hmmm. It was installed by a certified Honda master tech who I have complete confidence in, but, anyone can make a mistake. If you can find picks that would be a great help. Thanks!

It's better to be fast,
than to look fast.
Hold the rice please.

Btrthnezr3
05-24-2004, 07:28 AM
You are right that anyone can make a mistake...
When I first installed my bar, I was afraid I installed it backwards as it was clunking over slow bumps...but I then compared it to my friend's ep with a stock sway and noticed it was right...I then installed the sway on his car utilizing the stock one on the ground as a point of reference for how the bar should go. I did this on mine also...to make sure I didn't put it in backwards, but I was still worried. Later that weekend, I uninstalled mine, regreased everything and just for grins tried to install it the other way...I found that it would hit the left lower control arm no matter what, so I figured I had it right. I turned it back around and reinstalled it. Everything is fine now with no clunking or squeaking and great performance. Here are the pics I have...the sway on the drivers side should curve up to clear the control arm not down to hit it...
On these pics the drivers side end is on the right...

http://www.digitalgumball.com/gallery/albums/album15/IM001206.jpg

http://www.digitalgumball.com/gallery/albums/album15/IM001208.jpg

I can try and get some pics of it installed when I get home, but not right now cuz I'm at work...I'll go look in just a minute though and post how I can describe how the bends on the bar should look.

Btrthnezr3
05-24-2004, 07:40 AM
Okay, I went and took a look...the bar should sit away from the subframe and then come back to it where it meets the brackets/bushings and bolt to the subframe. It should then curve up and over the left control arm and back down and then a quick little up angle to meet the endlink. Does that help any?
If I was at home I could take a picture right now, but I'm sorry I can't. Maybe search for the progress bar and you can find a good pic of that installed. The teal color certainly stands out ;)

SiGuy
05-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Much thanks! I just talked to my tech and he did the same thing you did, you describe the same sounds that I'm hearing. So I think that it's definatly on backwards. Did it make a difference in handling when you got it on right? Thanks alot for taking time out of work to help me out, don't worry about sending the other pics, these should do it.

Btrthnezr3
05-24-2004, 08:03 AM
No problem man...you are very welcome.
I never actually installed mine backwards...I just thought I did, and checked it but when I tried to install it backwards, it was touching the lower arm so I knew I had it right the first time...not to mention I had taken great care the first time to lay the stock bar on the ground exactly as it had come off the car. I was just paranoid. But my problem for the noise was a lack of grease.
If your bar is hitting your lower control arm you are definitely installed backwards, if it looks like it's clearing, you might just need to take it off and grease the shit out of the inside and outside of the bushings...also make sure those brackets are bolted in ultra tight. I used white lithium grease in a tube, btw...
Good Luck and I hope everything works out.
Post up here so I'll make sure you got everything taken care of.

jimmyjames
05-24-2004, 08:57 AM
Sorry if I am too late. Yes, it sounds like you have the bar upside down. I took out the old one, placed it on the ground, put the CTR sway next to it (as in picture) and test fit it the same way the stock one was. For some reason though, while car was jacked up still, the bar was like 3/4" away from the control arm. It just didn't look right. I flipped it over and saw that everything "looked" right. Tightened everything down, never had a problem. I never greased the bushings so I will probably do that in a few days even though I have no noises or problems.

Btrthnezr3
05-24-2004, 09:23 AM
Thanks for backing me up Jimmy...
as for the greasing the bushing goes...everyone I talked to reccomended doing it and I greased them really well. I did not use the stock ctr bushings/brackets. I used ES Graphite Bushings with supplied brackets...but I find that greasing any bushing...stock or aftermarket can help reduce friction, noise, wear and problems later down the road.
I just went down to autozone and got some white lithium in a small tube and it worked wonders...I also later used the grease to help my garage door from squeaking. ;)

AntFarm9
05-24-2004, 10:24 PM
Ha ha ha I installed mine upside down too. Then had to Jack it up do it all over again. I am still waitig for my Mounting bracket and Bushings from SUmmit Racing. I had to use home made bushings from an old rubber mouse pad. I used the same mounting Brackets. I just wrap the rubber around the sway bar and tighten the Brakets. Its a perfect fit and no noise what so ever. Please part come in. I have pixs if and post later he he he.

SiGuy
05-25-2004, 05:44 AM
It's fixed!! :D Thanks for all the help guys. No pops, creaks, or anything else. The car dosen't bounce nearly as bad. MUCH BETTER.

Btrthnezr3
05-25-2004, 06:14 AM
Glad to hear you got everything taken care of!

mannyboy23
08-04-2008, 01:47 PM
f@ck I got dat problem guess I have a long day ahead of me thanks btrthnezr3 for the link