PDA

View Full Version : Right Hand Drive legal?????

krnboy817
05-24-2004, 10:47 PM
ok could someone let me know if the RHD is legal in the U.S.? i mean... is that something that you can get away with other than the mail man? because i want to ship over my cuzins type r from NewZealand to U.S. and wanted to know if conversion is needed.

(NZ has same spec as JDM)

EtherGhost
05-24-2004, 11:51 PM
You can't import it legally into the United States, converted or not. It doesn't have the same crash standards, nor emissions.

i-vtec04si
05-25-2004, 10:33 AM
right hand drive is legal though back when i lived in the bay there was a few people with that conversion....

BlackSi613nin
05-25-2004, 10:10 PM
mail man drives on right hand side.. =) its legal, its just usually the car thats illegal

joHn

Ep3 No.2
05-26-2004, 08:50 AM
it can be legal but when u import a car into the states and try to register it, it must meet us saftey standards abd emmissions. but theres always little loop holes to get around them.

ep3fan
05-26-2004, 06:15 PM
i dont know if its legal but today i was driving in new port beach and this guy had like a old mini couper the old ones like a 1980 or i dunno it was small as hell and it was right hand drive heh kinda random but ya

sintryx
05-26-2004, 09:20 PM
my neighboor has the original mini with RHD ;)

03silverEP
05-27-2004, 11:54 AM
it can be done but it will take some time and money, lots of phone calls, inspections, etc. there are companies out there that specialize in that, Motorex for example could answer a few questions for you.

you have to get the car through customs (difficult itself, they don't like whole cars coming through.) (if your close to canada use a canadian port it's easier)

switch out the bumpers, headlights, taillights, bumper rebar to US-spec, gauge cluster, header & cat, ecu, etc. lots of $$$ but if you go through it all the DMV will print you a new vin# tag, so you can legally drive and insure the car.

***there is a new law in effect that allows you to import 'speciality' cars w/o going through all that BS, you don't have to change everything over but you are limited to 5,000 miles a year driving, this law was put in place to allow rich guys to import Euro supercars (ex. porsche 959) that we don't get over here

****or ship a wrecked CTR over, switch everything down to the harness over to a USDM frame, slap a cat on and you're good.

there is no easy or inexpensive way to do this

03silverEP
05-27-2004, 11:56 AM
it can be done but it will take some time and money, lots of phone calls, inspections, etc. there are companies out there that specialize in that, Motorex for example could answer a few questions for you.

you have to get the car through customs (difficult itself, they don't like whole cars coming through.) (if your close to canada use a canadian port it's easier)

switch out the bumpers, headlights, taillights, bumper rebar to US-spec, gauge cluster, header & cat, ecu, etc. lots of $$$ but if you go through it all the DMV will print you a new vin# tag, so you can legally drive and insure the car.

***there is a new law in effect that allows you to import 'speciality' cars w/o going through all that BS, you don't have to change everything over but you are limited to 5,000 miles a year driving, this law was put in place to allow rich guys to import Euro supercars (ex. porsche 959) that we don't get over here

****or ship a wrecked CTR over, switch everything down to the harness over to a USDM frame, slap a cat on and you're good.

there is no easy or inexpensive way to do this

unless you're in the military, somewhere where you can buy a CTR, sometimes cars get on those transport planes....

Ill_eagle94
06-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Hmm the "Ferrarri Slayer" is a RHD... Ford GT40.

sintryx
06-10-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Ill_eagle94
Hmm the "Ferrarri Slayer" is a RHD... Ford GT40.

seen a few videos of Ford GT40, all LHD didn't know RHD version was out too.

Ill_eagle94
06-10-2004, 01:37 PM
not the new one.. the original... a local guy has one, I saw it in Milford <NH>

krnboy817
06-11-2004, 09:52 PM
well i think imma ship the car in pieces and just build it back up here ... and im sure... there is some parts that are laying around in someones shop or grage.. just has to be

Ill_eagle94
06-11-2004, 09:55 PM
make sure if you are not paying someone who knows what they are doing importing this that you talk with customs and whatnot because they can make you have a very bad day...

if your car does not meet us spec, alot of times they may not even let it off the ship

skylines need a conversion from 2 turbos to 1 turbo among other things to get in the states <smog laws>