PDA

View Full Version : Type-R or normal Si Head Unit Adaptor?

NetDragon
07-08-2002, 08:51 AM
Hey, Well I have a new head unit in my Si. It is a standard DIN Pioneer. But I am using a Honda Civic like HX adaptor. It is mat black and while it was professionally installed, it still looks a little ghetto. Where can I find a nice standard DIN adaptor for my car. I am hoping there is something out there that looks exactly like the stock one but it has room for a normal DIN. I can post a picture if the install if someone wants. Thanks, I have looked around on the web and I can not find anything.

02TafWhtSi
07-08-2002, 08:54 PM
Call me ignorant or whatever but what does "DIN" stand for?

DynaSpeed
07-09-2002, 06:38 AM
It's kinda weird... It's something you'll really never need to know. It's an acronym for "Deutsche Industrie Norm".

Basically - The Germans made a standardized size in audio decks so the world can finally make have standard DIN, double-DIN, half-DIN, etc.

So pretty much all mainstream after-market decks are single-DIN. The larger ones that are standard for a lot of domestic cars are double-DIN. Then lots of EQ's and stuff are half-DIN.

NetDragon
07-09-2002, 08:31 AM
Wow.. I learn something new every day. And I am seriously impressed that you even know that.

So, any idea on where I can find me a "Left Driver" Standard Din adaptor that is proper for my car? Thanks,

02TafWhtSi
07-09-2002, 07:05 PM
Oh OK - now that I think about it aren't horsepower ratings in Europe also calculated in "DIN" while we use a different system?

i-WERKS
07-10-2002, 07:36 AM
NetDragon

Could you post a pic?

DynaSpeed
07-10-2002, 08:04 AM
Oh OK - now that I think about it aren't horsepower ratings in Europe also calculated in "DIN" while we use a different system? Very good question, 02TafWhtSi!
That is correct, DIN horsepower is measured at the output shaft with all accessories connected. Which is similar to our SAE Net Horsepower. Not to be confused with "BHP" (which all domestics now use to over-glorify horsepower ratings), which stands for *BRAKE* Horsepower. This has nothing to do with your wheel brakes, of course - instead it is a "brake dynomometer" that engineers use at the crankshaft.

Ok, now back to Head Unit DIN. I'm not sure if I'm familiar with an adaptor for "left-hand" drive vehicles, as opposed to right-hand. I assumed they were all standard no matter where the driver cockpit was. Anybody got anything on this?

02TafWhtSi
07-10-2002, 02:06 PM
Sorry to interupt the head unit subject but then aren't "DIN" HP ratings lower than "SAE" even if the engine is making the same amount of actual power?

NetDragon
07-10-2002, 04:13 PM
WERKS: Hey man.. yeah I will try and post one tonight.. My digital camera got ganked so I have to use one of my houe mates cameras. Thanks,

DynaSpeed
07-10-2002, 05:28 PM
Sorry to interupt the head unit subject but then aren't "DIN" HP ratings lower than "SAE" even if the engine is making the same amount of actual power? That's the HUUUGE thing Taf... DIN Hp *should* be technically higher than SAE net Hp because net Hp is supposed to be just that... *NET*, after Drivetrain and Accessories. Now DIN is just accessories, no drivetrain. BHP is neither. But, the big scandal now, is factories take #'s out of the blue sky for *all of these ratings*!

Mazda is notorious for it. So is practically all others factories to a point. Sport Compact Car magazine has done extensive research on this very phenomena and blown the whistle on many car companies, with some retracting their #'s for different ones for the next model year - even though they changed *NOTHING*