PDA

View Full Version : valve adjustment gone bad help

VIZHUNZ02SI
05-26-2004, 12:14 PM
well today i decided to adjust my valves since im at 41000 miles. and plus to dealerships claim that i need an adjust.so everything goes well. i use proper clearance,i made sure that the next size on my filler guage doesnt fit and i have to insert the proper guage with some resistant. after that was done.i bolt everything back together and bam. i broke a bolt with the nut on it.its the bolt that hold the valve cover down. so i go look in my garage to find somthing that can buy me some time. and i did.so i decide lemme go to my girls house and chill.five 10 blocks up the road and all of a sudden the car act as if its gonna shut down. im like oh great.it stumbled for a few minutes then the cel came on. so i drove it home pop the hood and there is no leaks.all vaccum hoses are in please everything is bolted down. any one have an idea what cause that.i diconnected the battery for a minute and then drove it arround the corner and nothing happened

fishboy
05-26-2004, 12:35 PM
my only piece of advice is to order that part you broke immediately and don't drive your car around until you get it. then if the car does it again take it to the dealer. troubleshoot man.

k20hatch
05-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Moved to engine. Some help to let the engine guys look at it first!

mrfixit687
05-26-2004, 01:48 PM
a cel is to tell you something is wrong, how about finding whats wrong and fix it instead of erasing the code and praying it will fix it self

Bificus
05-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Double check your clearances. I had done some valve adjusts before and the first couple of times I kinda needed to check the clearances again. Better a tad loose than too tight. Remember Hondas are notorious for non clearance engines with valves to pistons. If all checks out I would play it safe and pay to get your valve adjustment at honda.

VIZHUNZ02SI
05-26-2004, 07:55 PM
thanks bificus
i double checked them and i had a few i had to loosen up.
and everything ran smooth

Bificus
05-27-2004, 03:47 AM
Cool man, it takes a little time to check those tolerances and get em where they should be and now you should have it down.

VIZHUNZ02SI
05-27-2004, 04:57 AM
it idles slightly ruff but i can blame that on the es inserts. oh yeah i think i have a lil oil leak coming from the valve cover seal
do u think i should replace it or jus bead some silicon sealant on it.

Ill_eagle94
06-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Hmm I would say replace the gasket, unless its not cracked and replace the broken bolt with a new one. Odds are by having a broken bolt, the valve cover is not sealing correctly. It would be very similar to not haveing a properly functioning PCV valve ad can cause the car to idle or run very strangely.

DynaSpeed
06-11-2004, 09:27 AM
ES inserts will have no bearing on the idle. Your car should still idle smooth, even if your car was bolted straight to the frame. Unless you're just talking about in-cabin vibrations.