PDA

View Full Version : Mugen Knock-off Rear Bar Install Question

Rwecked
05-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Are the bolts already there? I'm going to tackle this little install but don't have the bolts. I just got the bar today so I haven't had the chane to see if the bolts are there. Does anyone know offhand which bolts to use?

Thanks

raiyo
05-27-2004, 02:25 PM
I use to have the geniune mugen rear tie/strut bar. They came with 14mm bolts, which will fit the RSX, but not the Si. There are bolt holes to mount the mugen rear tie/strut bar, so no drilling is required. to reveal the bolt/mount point, remove the rear strut plastic cover. there u will see 2 bolts on each side. they are 6mm bolts, so you'll need to go to a hardware store and pick some longer bolts to do the install. WATCH OUT when installing. Be very careful with the bolts. The reason is because it will snap on u. It happen to me when I removed my bolt, and it also happen to someone else on the forum when installing a different bar, but in the same location. Get the strongest 6mm bolt u could get and a thick washer (the gold type is good enough).

PM me if you still need more help.

Rwecked
05-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Ok, 6mm x what? 12 or 14? Did you use lock washers or regular washers? Thanks for your help so far.

raiyo
06-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Rwecked
Ok, 6mm x what? 12 or 14? Did you use lock washers or regular washers? Thanks for your help so far.

6mm x what I forgot. Just remove one of those bolt and go to a hardware store and pick up something that is alittle longer. Get like a 8.8 bolt, that should be strong enough. As for washer, I used a normal washer and it did fine. I'd use a thicker washer. I used the thin silver washer and when the bolt got tight the washer bent. Get the gold washer, it's thicker and stronger.

If you want that mount point to be alot stronger, go get the mount hole modified. Go to a body shop and tell them to enlarge the bolt hole to accept 14mm.

FCobra94
06-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by raiyo
If you want that mount point to be alot stronger, go get the mount hole modified. Go to a body shop and tell them to enlarge the bolt hole to accept 14mm.
Or you could just drill the hole bigger and use a bigger bolt and put a nut on the end of it. That's what I had to do when I stripped 2 of the stock nuts that were already on the car :(