PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's official. I'm finally going to Japan! Ideas?

CleanBlackSi02
06-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Woo hoo! I'll be leaving June 25th and I'll be returning on July 7th. Now, the question is, what do I do in my free time? I have some "tours" planned in there, but most of my time will be free to use how I choose. I'd like to focus on checking out the local music scene, and of course the local domestic car scene. ;) I'll be spending the first three days in Tokyo, and the following two in Kyoto. After that, I have a 7 day unlimited train pass which I can use to go anywhere I'd like. I'll have a hotel in Tokyo, but I'll expect a night somewhere else in there. Anybody have any ideas? Addresses/websites are a plus!

ecsahs3
06-08-2004, 06:51 PM
For nightlife, go to Ropongi. Don't get any "massages" and don't buy drinks for girls there....especially if they're locals. you don't want to get into any trouble with the Yakusa (think that's how you spell it). in tokyo area, young people meet and hang out around Shinjuku. Kyoto is a cool spot. Take lots of pix. Are you going solo? good move on the rail pass btw. you'll save lots of money with it. have you thought about going to okinawa?

DownTheHatch
06-08-2004, 06:59 PM
I wish I was going back yo!

I would see as much as you possibly can, I went to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and north to Gunma area and drove on some Initial D mountain passes.

Tokyo-
Shibuya: Ramen and love hotels
Harajuku: School girls, Takeshita St., African's selling Fubu clothes
Shinjuku: Tall buildings, Tokyo Dome, Thunder Dolphin rollercoaster
Ginza: Expensive shopping district
Roppongi Hills: Best at night, go inside and check out all the shops and places to eat.
Akihabara: Electronics district
Odaiba: Clean and futuristic by the bay

Yokohama: Near the bay, China Town

Kyoto: Kyomizu Temple, historical landmarks, check out the temple that creaks as you walk through the halls, ancient shogun temple one of the few left.

Osaka: Osaka castle, gigantic restored green castle with gold accents, inside if basically a museum.

I had the privilage of staying in Sakura for sometime and they have National History Museum which was quite interesting. Theres plenty more to see besides this so just have an adventure.

If you want to go to a natural hot spring (onsen), Hokkaido is the best but closer to Tokyo the gunma area is great, about $12us gets you a day at one of these spas.

I had the 28Day rail pass and I wish I had used it to the full more, like gone to Hokkaido and Hiroshima completely north and completely south, but I will do that for sure when I go back.

I checked d1gp.co.jp and the next drift competition isnt until July 24th thats too bad cause thats pretty cool to see, but you will see plenty of badass cars no matter where you go.

I didnt visit Honda or Nissan but I know a few people on here have the address to Honda if you wanna pay a visit to them.

If you want to drop by a bookstore and pick up a lonely planet guide it will tell you all the sights and get you acquainted with the culture and customs of japan before you go, its a good travel guide, I believe it may have a train map but you can always get one of those when you arrive.

Make sure you have plans for getting from Narita airport to your hotel, the trains can be tricky. Cabs will take you directly where you want to go but are expensive, I think they start at 650yen no matter where you go.

HAVE FUN ITS GOING TO BE FREAKIN AWESOME YOU DONT EVEN KNOW

CleanBlackSi02
06-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by ecsahs3
For nightlife, go to Ropongi. Don't get any "massages" and don't buy drinks for girls there....especially if they're locals. you don't want to get into any trouble with the Yakusa (think that's how you spell it). in tokyo area, young people meet and hang out around Shinjuku. Kyoto is a cool spot. Take lots of pix. Are you going solo? good move on the rail pass btw. you'll save lots of money with it. have you thought about going to okinawa?
I'll stay far away from the Yakuza. I've familiarized myself with all of the do's and don'ts in Japanese society, so I should be able to avoid the nonsense. I was considering going with my girlfriend, but that didn't quite work out, and none of my good friends have the cash, so i'll be quite literally "flying solo".

Originally posted by DownTheHatch
I wish I was going back yo!

I would see as much as you possibly can, I went to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and north to Gunma area and drove on some Initial D mountain passes.

I had the 28Day rail pass and I wish I had used it to the full more, like gone to Hokkaido and Hiroshima completely north and completely south, but I will do that for sure when I go back.

I checked d1gp.co.jp and the next drift competition isnt until July 24th thats too bad cause thats pretty cool to see, but you will see plenty of badass cars no matter where you go.

I didnt visit Honda or Nissan but I know a few people on here have the address to Honda if you wanna pay a visit to them.

If you want to drop by a bookstore and pick up a lonely planet guide it will tell you all the sights and get you acquainted with the culture and customs of japan before you go, its a good travel guide, I believe it may have a train map but you can always get one of those when you arrive.

Make sure you have plans for getting from Narita airport to your hotel, the trains can be tricky. Cabs will take you directly where you want to go but are expensive, I think they start at 650yen no matter where you go.

HAVE FUN ITS GOING TO BE FREAKIN AWESOME YOU DONT EVEN KNOW
Were you there for a month? I saw some posts on here that you were away, but I haven't spent much time on the site recently. I have my hotels and trip to and from the airport worked out through the tour company who did my booking.

Any addresses or "hot spots" that you can recommend would be much appreciated.

DownTheHatch
06-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Yea a whole month, I havnt got around to putting my pics up, but I have pics and vids from the D1 competition I'll be posting up.

Tragedy
06-09-2004, 01:02 AM
I'm returning to Tokyo at the end of this month, so if you'd like to meet up (I can take you to Super Autobacs, Honda Headquarters or something), let me know. As you probably know, I spent October 2002 to April 2004 in Tokyo, so I know it pretty well. Shoot me over an private message or email MrTragedy@aol.com

Tragedy
06-09-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by ecsahs3

Dude, Roppongi is sleazy and run-down (except for Roppongi Hills), and it's full of dirty foreigners...including me! =P

Tragedy
06-09-2004, 01:11 AM
Shinjuku: Tokyo Dome

Tokyo Dome isn't in Shinjuku. :p Hehe, sorry, had to.

DownTheHatch
06-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Oops hehe, well whereever tokyo dome is, you gotta check it out.;)

seattlecivic
06-09-2004, 05:24 PM
can you pack me in your suit case? i'll carry your bags... I want to go :-(

CleanBlackSi02
06-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Tragedy
I'm returning to Tokyo at the end of this month, so if you'd like to meet up (I can take you to Super Autobacs, Honda Headquarters or something), let me know. As you probably know, I spent October 2002 to April 2004 in Tokyo, so I know it pretty well. Shoot me over an private message or email MrTragedy@aol.com

Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02
Woo hoo! I'll be leaving June 25th and I'll be returning on July 7th.

What day are you leaving?

I'll be staying at the Grand Palace Hotel in Toyko, and Rihga Royal Hotel in Kyoto.

CleanBlackSi02
06-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Oops hehe, well whereever tokyo dome is, you gotta check it out.;)
How did you arrange to have a car while you were there? I saw your comment about driving on the mountain passes...

DownTheHatch
06-09-2004, 07:02 PM
I have friends :)

You can apply for an international license before you leave, Im not sure about the specifics but I hear you have to buy it here and then you can drive in another country.

Tragedy
06-09-2004, 08:47 PM
I have friends :)

You can apply for an international license before you leave, Im not sure about the specifics but I hear you have to buy it here and then you can drive in another country. '

It's not illegal to use a Int'l license in Japan. If you had one before the law went into effect, then you're safe, but if you get a new one, it's invalid in Japan.

Tragedy
06-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02
What day are you leaving?

I'll be staying at the Grand Palace Hotel in Toyko, and Rihga Royal Hotel in Kyoto.

Grand Palace Hotel? Damn, you baller. I know where that is! It's next to the Kudanshita station. Nearby is the Iidabashi station where the Oedo Line is. We'll use the Oedo line to go to Honda Headquarters.

I'm arriving on June 28th, but since my apartment won't be ready until June 30th, I'll be staying at a friend's house in Ichikawa (About 30 mins from your hotel). I could probably meet up with you on the 29th if I don't have anything to do. We'll talk more about this thru PMs and Email.

Sorry I wasn't more specific, what I meant to ask was what day are you leaving Tokyo for Kyoto?

See ya

DownTheHatch
06-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Kudanshita eki....brings back memories! NIHON NI IKITAIiiiiiii :(

Donegan
06-09-2004, 11:46 PM
I'm leaving on the 26th...

Try visiting Saitama, the Honda city. You'll find the Mugen Co. headquarters there.

Yokohama is a must...

penguin
06-09-2004, 11:56 PM
chooooo-seshiburi. demo, menawa ohchi Okinawa-desu. Blah. Hogan and Nihon slang roks! Gambatane!!

Tragedy
06-10-2004, 02:42 AM
Kudanshita eki....brings back memories! NIHON NI IKITAIiiiiiii :(

Dude, there's nothing in Kudanshita! You must be really fiending for going to Japan. Want me to send you another JDM EP3 brochure? Heheh

ep3_civic_si
06-11-2004, 11:13 PM
send me one! i want a brochure 04 if you have one i love the seats!!! i wanna copy them and blow them up and make posters of them then post if all over town:p j/p but if you do have a 04 brochure send me on PM me so i can give you my address:D

toda_power
06-12-2004, 07:37 AM
take lots of pix for us man. :D

ecsahs3
06-12-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Tragedy
Dude, Roppongi is sleazy and run-down (except for Roppongi Hills), and it's full of dirty foreigners...including me! =P

i definitely agree, but it's one of those places you have to go to. like hollywood, where the mann chinese theatre and the walk of fame is. it's freakin' scummy there, but when you're in LA, you just gotta stop by.

ecsahs3
06-12-2004, 07:42 AM
SOAP BAR!!

STP03BlueSI
06-12-2004, 09:59 AM
Damn have fun! hey you goin to the Cybernation thing tomorrow?

Hook a brother up with a JDM Book!03 ep3:D

SiR Phil
06-30-2004, 08:53 AM
I know this is late (hey, I only signed up a few days ago), but I'll give what I can:

Nightlife... Roppongi's clubs are okay, nothing special (unless you want to pick up the dirty girls and possibly get into fights with GIs). Personally, I like the nightlife in Shibuya (Sugar High and Harlem!). Load up on toys in Akihabara (the cooler gadgets are NOT in the foreigner friendly duty-free shops). Live the good life on Ginza (if you can afford it), and hob-knob with the wealthy in places there and Shinjuku. Oh, and the pop-culture is very evident in places like Ikebukro and Harajuku.

Outside of Tokyo, try and hit up an onsen not in Gunma (although they're not bad), but in Tochigi. Specifically, if you can, go to Nikko.

Also, about an hour outside of Tokyo (just west of Yokohama, actually) is Kamakura. Listen, I've been to Kyoto, Nara, Hirsohima, Osaka, and a host of other places, but to me, nothing is quite as pretty as Kamakura, built alongside a mountain lined with countless Buddha Jizo statues that are centuries old. A lot of historical sites here as well, and you can buy AUTHENTIC Japanese souvenirs (JDM? heh...). Nara comes close, though, for pure beauty. So does Miyajima Island (just outside of Hiroshima).

Eat in izakayas, get loaded on Japanese beer (so good, much better than crappy American and crappy Canadian beer), go to a Karaoke club at least once, etc etc. There's so much you can do. And don't worry about the Yakuza.... they won't bother you unless you ask for it. So, if you want to get a "special" massage, just don't do anything inappropriate, and you'll survive.

Hope you're having fun, and let us know how it was when you get back.

penguin
06-30-2004, 09:09 AM
I know this is late (hey, I only signed up a few days ago), but I'll give what I can:

Nightlife... Roppongi's clubs are okay, nothing special (unless you want to pick up the dirty girls and possibly get into fights with GIs).

Hey, we needed somewhere to go on leave...lol. Yeah, Roppongi is dirty, but it's also a collegegirl (Amijo) hang out.

Eat in izakayas, get loaded on Japanese beer (so good, much better than crappy American and crappy Canadian beer),[/QUOTE]

There are Izakayas on mainland? Sweet! Oki is the training ground for mainland baseball players. One time, after work (I also taught conversational English) a whole bunch of students and I went to a nearby Izakaya and got trashed with some mainland players. I use to go to them all the time. I love it! For those of you that don't know, Izakaya is like a TGIF but for Japanese culture. It's a fun chain with awesome food and drink (I'm partial to Orion beer...)

03silverEP
06-30-2004, 09:40 AM
Check out Suzuka the f1 track, Honda owns the place, prob. much to see there. Mr. Spoon also sounds to be a pretty nice guy if you meet him.

SiR Phil
06-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Hey, we needed somewhere to go on leave...lol. Yeah, Roppongi is dirty, but it's also a collegegirl (Amijo) hang out.

There are Izakayas on mainland? Sweet! Oki is the training ground for mainland baseball players. One time, after work (I also taught conversational English) a whole bunch of students and I went to a nearby Izakaya and got trashed with some mainland players. I use to go to them all the time. I love it! For those of you that don't know, Izakaya is like a TGIF but for Japanese culture. It's a fun chain with awesome food and drink (I'm partial to Orion beer...)

LOL... fair enough. And college girls, yes... although I found plenty of them like the Shibuya district. But hey, to each his/her own. Just keep your more "aggressive" brothers in arms from getting upset at every little thing (this is no knock against American GIs.... my buddy in the military in Canada always told me stories about they would get into scraps in bars all the bloody time when going out)

And yeah, there are izakayas all over the mainland. I LOVE getting smashed and stuffed with great food at these places. Great way to meet some locals, too, since they tend to stare at white gaijin anyway. Orion beer? Never heard of that one, maybe it's an Oki thing? I really enjoyed the seasononal brews that Kirin and Sapporo would make... just about anything by these two that was ice cold, and I was happy :D

penguin
06-30-2004, 08:56 PM
LOL... fair enough. And college girls, yes... although I found plenty of them like the Shibuya district. But hey, to each his/her own. Just keep your more "aggressive" brothers in arms from getting upset at every little thing (this is no knock against American GIs.... my buddy in the military in Canada always told me stories about they would get into scraps in bars all the bloody time when going out)

And yeah, there are izakayas all over the mainland. I LOVE getting smashed and stuffed with great food at these places. Great way to meet some locals, too, since they tend to stare at white gaijin anyway. Orion beer? Never heard of that one, maybe it's an Oki thing? I really enjoyed the seasononal brews that Kirin and Sapporo would make... just about anything by these two that was ice cold, and I was happy :D

ahahah...lol. I'm out now, but I've been to mainland a few times when I lived in Oki. Yeah, Orion (http://www.orionbeer.co.jp/english/) is is an Okinawan beer. Very sweet. I agree, the seasonal beers are awesome. I just don't like the strong taste. Canada has a military??? :D :smilem:

SiR Phil
06-30-2004, 09:57 PM
Canada has a military??? :D :smilem:

Duh! 1 gunship made from the industrial age, manned with 5 crew, all collecting their pension plans and hooked up to respirators, and 5 machine guns on board. Of course, these are replica machine guns and they only fire water, but still..... we could, y'know, fill them with bleach, 'cause that can really really hurt.... :'( :shockm: :D