PDA

View Full Version : Lookin to drop my '91 hatch

HondCivc91
06-08-2004, 08:21 PM
The title says it. I only want an 1"-1.5" drop, nothing major. I know Eibach is suppose to be good, but pricey. Best price I could get was $230 online. I'm also looking at H&R OE Sport Springs, would drop it 0.75" but I've read reviews from other Civic owners that have said it drops more than that. Any thoughts?

mykel
06-09-2004, 07:10 AM
Go Eibach - the quality is worth the few extra $'s.

Pro-Kits will give you about 1' drop on a 91.
I have a 90 CRX and it has pro-kits on it for 10+ years, Still works a treat. Any lower ( sportlines ) and I would have serious problems with speed-bumps etc. ( my header / Thermal exhaust does hang a bit lower than stock as well. )

What are you going to run for shocks?

Btrthnezr3
06-09-2004, 08:03 AM
Not getting an ep after all? :(

oh...and I vote for Eibachs.

HondCivc91
06-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Btrthnezr3
Not getting an ep after all? :(

oh...and I vote for Eibachs.

Nope, no EP for now :( There were some dumb complications with my insurance company. If I were to sell my 91 hatch, there would be a prorated refund that they would send me for the 10 months of insurance I paid but did not use, which is in excess of $1,000 .. but unfortunatley, they would have to send it in my dad's name - whom has told them not to issue one (becuase he's head of the insurance account and we're not on good terms right now).

Sooo, I either take the $1000+ loss or wait until next february and just put a few toys onto the car now. :(

mykel, I would be running with stock shocks. I've been told if my shocks are good, an inch wouldn't make a difference. Anything more than 1.5" would need new shocks.

Anybody ever heard anything about H&R?

graham
06-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Anybody ever heard anything about H&R?

I ran H&R OEs on my 95 integra. The drop was noticable - I would definately say a bit more than the advertised 0.75". I ran them with KYB AGX adjustable shocks and they were a blast to drive on ... I definately recommend that setup.

Previously, on my 93 civic, I ran neuspeed "sport" springs at 1.5" drop and I found it too low for diving over speedbumps, snowy streets, and not to mention the odd roadkill ... :eek:

HondCivc91
06-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Thanks graham .. the few comments i've heard from people is that the H&R is definatley over a 0.75 drop.

does anyone think i'll be ok with stock shocks?

graham
06-10-2004, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by HondCivc91
Thanks graham .. the few comments i've heard from people is that the H&R is definatley over a 0.75 drop.

does anyone think i'll be ok with stock shocks?

np ... and I should have mentioned, I think you'll be fine on stock shocks. And hey, if you blow them in a year, they're cheap to replace :)

todaCspec
06-10-2004, 05:39 AM
Neuspeed sport springs w/Koni sport shocks, you won't regret it. Do it right the first time around.

HondCivc91
06-10-2004, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by graham
np ... and I should have mentioned, I think you'll be fine on stock shocks. And hey, if you blow them in a year, they're cheap to replace :)

Eh I'm only planning on having the car another year anyway I think. That's why I kinda just want to use the stock ones, it'll be nice having a drop but it's not worth paying more for stuff that's not worth it

I haven't heard anything THAT great about Neuspeed, I'll look into it though, how much of a drop do those give?

03silverEP
06-10-2004, 12:53 PM
eibach, man they are quality #1 :)

yeah, they are a few bucks more but they're worth it,
you'll be ok w/stock shocks w/a prokit 1.0" drop.

go to RoBearRacing.com

http://www.robearracing.com/cat_honda_civic_performance.cfm

88-91 Civic/CRX/Si $199 ephatch members get 5% off

civicSIracer
06-10-2004, 11:22 PM
i got skunk2 coilovers on my 91 Si and KYB shocks..
rides kinda stiff but the drop is great...

SONIC SI
06-11-2004, 04:08 AM
On my other cars I ran Suspension Techniques springs with Tokico struts. Both cars rode really good. Have you looked into Vogtland springs with Koni's? I had those on my 88 VW GTI and they performed great.

HondCivc91
06-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Thanks 03silver EP! That's by far the best price I've seen on the prokit anywhere. The next best place was TireRack but they wanted $223 + shipping w/o a discount of course. Good find, thanks a million.

Don't coilovers drop the car like 2-3"? I figure an inch to an inch and a half would close up some of the fender gap but I still need it to do my daily driving. Half of the year I spend half the year in Philly for college and the roads aren't exactly nicely paved.

Thanks everyone for the input :D

mykel
06-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Depends upon the coil-over.
Most start at at drop of 0 and go from there ( ie 0 - 3" )
Some you can even raise. Depends upon how the body is threaded, if the body is shortened ( in comparision with a stock shock )then usually only a drop.

As for the 1" drop on a stock shock. Yes you will be fine as long as the shocks are still in good nik. The problem is that "aftermarket" springs usually have a higher spring-rate and this works the shock more than stock ( this is the bounce you notice ) this is even worse with a cut spring because the cut results in the spring-rate going thru the roof.

There are other issues, including pre-compression of the shock by the shortened spring. This puts it into its travel and depending upon shock design can promote further wear as well as comprimised operation. If you playin' with pro-kits for a year, no worries.

And btw I am putting sportlines / camber on my new EP with stock shocks ( for now anyway ) waiting on some more affordable options regarding shocks. I'm planning on putting the real money into the CRX suspension ( it currently has Tokiko's that are toast (leaking) and pro-kits, full bushings, sway bars etc, this will be getting either Koni's / ERS or a full coil-over )

Good Luck and have fun !!

02NJHondaep3
06-11-2004, 12:47 PM
I trust eibach because they make valve springs as well.