PDA

View Full Version : Freak AEM Cold Air problem.....

SIxtasy
06-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Found this when I was changing my oil on the weekend. Thank God for my Magnetic Drain Plug. It was COVERED in metal shavings. The bracket that holds the intake in the wheel well, snapped off, and grinded a hole in the actual intake tube.

I called AEM today. They told me that this happens every so often, but "95% of the time its due to install error, "thus they don't warranty it. I sent them pics, they called back and told me that they are just going to send me a new unit. I actually want a V2 now, since I had this experience happen. So, I'm going to see if I can get that out them. Enjoy some pics.....

http://www.stolemyinter.net/uploads/DSC00973.JPG
http://www.stolemyinter.net/uploads/DSC00981.JPG
http://www.stolemyinter.net/uploads/DSC00982.JPG

Tenacious G
06-09-2004, 06:23 PM
good 'ol AEM engineering

at least you're getting a new one.

siver-SI
06-09-2004, 06:36 PM
What happend the braket broke and then it rubbed? If so could you tell it was loose by trying to move it in the engine compartment?

SIxtasy
06-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
What happend the braket broke and then it rubbed? If so could you tell it was loose by trying to move it in the engine compartment?

Yes, the Bracket rubbed a hole into the pipe. It isn't something that I would notice unless I was changing the filter since the AEM CAI is practically hidden in the engine bay. I noticed it when I went to take the filter off to clean it. It looks like I had been riding with it like that for awhile. You can see the scuff marks from where it was rubbing the fan and other engine pieces. All I can say is... Thank god for my Magnetic drain plug, best $6 I ever spent.

siver-SI
06-09-2004, 06:55 PM
I guess it would be good to wiggle it now and then to make sure it does not move. I am trying to figure out why it broke though. The only thing I could think of is the engine rocking back and forth to much caused it to brake.

What did AEM say caused it?

Peking
06-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
I guess it would be good to wiggle it now and then to make sure it does not move. I am trying to figure out why it broke though. The only thing I could think of is the engine rocking back and forth to much caused it to brake.

What did AEM say caused it?

Human install error :(

jandetuning
06-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Aluminum is a nonferrous metal and therefore will not be attracted to a magnet. Most of the particles that made it into the intake while the engine was under load have passed through the engine. Check the inside of the filter for any fine aluminum particles.

SIxtasy
06-09-2004, 07:29 PM
AEM said that most of the time when the brackets brake, its because people don't use the grommet. The grommet goes between the bracket and the fender wall. Kinda serves as a Shock absorber. I had this on, and I still had the problem. As soon as they saw they pics i sent... They called me and said you don't even have to send that in. Hopefully tomarrow I can talk them into a V2. Laterz

siver-SI
06-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Just wondering I got mine used and I did not get a grommet so I used a metal spacer and put a rubber washer at each end. What I am wondering how large is the grommet and what is it made of?

If they send you a new one could I have your old one if I see you at a meet or something?

downhil
06-09-2004, 08:15 PM
i didnt even bother to hook that bracket up.

toda_power
06-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by downhil
i didnt even bother to hook that bracket up.

same here and everything seems fine. no problems...

4g63dsm
06-10-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by SIxtasy
Thank god for my Magnetic drain plug, best $6 I ever spent. where did you get a magnetic drain plug for $6???

FCobra94
06-10-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by 4g63dsm
where did you get a magnetic drain plug for $6???
Good question! I'd like to pick one up too! Also, did it fit the stock threads or was it one of those oversized ones?

Thanks! :)

SIxtasy
06-10-2004, 02:53 AM
Ok, so it was more then $6. I thought that was what I paid. Never had a problem with this this plug. Since I'm such a nice guy.... Here's a linky

http://search.ebay.com/magnetic-drain-plug-Honda_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8