PDA

View Full Version : Shift knob twisting in the wind

Civilian
06-10-2004, 07:02 AM
OK, not really in the wind, but it twists with any kind of vigorous shifting.

I've tried just twisting it back into place to tighten it, but that doesn't do the trick. With only a small amount of force it turns pretty freely on the stick back and forth.

I don't really want to replace the stock shift knob, which I think is good enough for now, but it's aggravating as hell to have the thing twisting in your hand as you're shifting.

I'm reluctant to put anything like Lock-Tight (sp?) on it because one day I may actually want to replace it.

Anyone thoughts? Anyone else run into this?

fsugatorbait
06-10-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Civilian
OK, not really in the wind, but it twists with any kind of vigorous shifting.

I've tried just twisting it back into place to tighten it, but that doesn't do the trick. With only a small amount of force it turns pretty freely on the stick back and forth.

I don't really want to replace the stock shift knob, which I think is good enough for now, but it's aggravating as hell to have the thing twisting in your hand as you're shifting.

I'm reluctant to put anything like Lock-Tight (sp?) on it because one day I may actually want to replace it.

Anyone thoughts? Anyone else run into this?

Have you disconnected the boot from the knob and tried to tighten it? If so, take the knob off and wrap the bottom half of threads with a wrap or two of electrical tape and replace the knob. HTH.

k20hatch
06-10-2004, 07:40 AM
Moved to Interior :)

oogy-boogy
06-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Also, the green lock tight isn't permanent and can be unscrewed with a small amount of force :).

ahhhonda
06-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Maybe a few wraps of that white teflon tape for plumbing might help to tighten things up? It might be a little less messy than sticky electrical tape, but then again, the sticky might help too. You'll have to give it a try and let us know. My shift knob twists a little too easlily too, but it's not been a major bother yet...

cdr127
06-11-2004, 02:38 PM
I say use some fuser(just as strong as a weld if not stronger. It will never twist again and if you have to ever replace it get a short throw shifter. Thats what i did to my crx. I used fuser to glue some rounded down nuts inside of my shift knob never moved again. 3M makes some cool shit.

ImportCustomx
06-11-2004, 02:48 PM
haha ..hmm mine moves very freely...so i take it that the knob should be tightly secure on there then...huh..food for thot..so my knob shouldnt be moving at all? how do we fix that..toss some lock tight on there or nylon lock of some sort..?