PDA

View Full Version : i got a question..

kenscivic
06-10-2004, 08:44 PM
alright here is my question i went to a muffler shop and just got them to make a 2.5" midpipe and i got a cheap lil apex n1 look a like muffler now what would the differenece be if i got an exhaust like hks or skunk2. would it be anything performance wise or just the sound?

Civicvtec1ps
06-10-2004, 08:51 PM
Moved to Engine

Silvershadow
07-06-2004, 01:55 AM
The hks or skunk2 would probably perform better.

Si4U2NV
07-06-2004, 02:52 AM
The hks or skunk2 would probably perform better.

especially considering you prolly got crush bent piping...

-Mike

oogy-boogy
07-06-2004, 04:54 AM
alright here is my question i went to a muffler shop and just got them to make a 2.5" midpipe and i got a cheap lil apex n1 look a like muffler now what would the differenece be if i got an exhaust like hks or skunk2. would it be anything performance wise or just the sound?

Some differences you may come across:
- Aftermarket exhausts are mandrel bent where as what you had done was probably crush bent. Mendrel bends do not taper down in the corners. Crush bends will taper down in size on any of the angles. When I had my 2 1/4" crush bent mid pipe it tapered down to under 2" in a few spots.
- Aftermarket exhausts normally fit better and do not effect clearance. There are exceptions as some mechanics do great work.
- You will have little to no rattles with most aftermarket exhausts as they were designed to use the factory hangers.
- Most aftermarket exhausts are made of stainless steel which is a long lasting rust resistant metal. If you can, take off your custom exhaust you had made and spray it down with high temp heat resistant paint. I had mine on for a year and it looked new when I removed it.
- Also, the welds are a much better quality and the ID's of the flanges usually remain consistant throughout.