PDA

View Full Version : Don't click if you are sick of hearing about CTR

Import-a-TypeR
10-25-2002, 08:06 AM
So when do I stop waiting?

At what point do I forget about the Type-R and just go out and get a Si?

I would REALLY hate to get a Si and then have the Type-R come out shortly after.

Glix2
10-25-2002, 08:27 AM
According to lots of magazines and a few local honda / acura aftermarket shops the CTR will arrive sometime in 2004.

This doesn't mean that it actually will but these guys are getting their info from somewhere.

fishboy
10-25-2002, 08:33 AM
i heard the rsx type r is supposed to be coming out within the next couple of years if this helps any.

Import-a-TypeR
10-25-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Glix2
According to lots of magazines and a few local honda / acura aftermarket shops the CTR will arrive sometime in 2004.

This doesn't mean that it actually will but these guys are getting their info from somewhere.

So in the Year 2004 or will it be a 2004 year model car?

Spring of 2004?
Fall of 2003?

At what point will we know for sure?

02SilverSiHB
10-25-2002, 12:11 PM
This is killing me.

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!

I don't care what magazine anyone reads. This has happened before. Back in 99 that's all anyone talked about. Well we got the Si, so we'll get the type r, because I keep reading in these mags....................

yaddayaddayadda.
Not going to happen. The only type r we'll see here is the Acura RSX.

Pradamuimui
10-25-2002, 12:25 PM
I believe that it will happen sometime...but when that will be NO ONE IN AMERICA KNOWS!! Only Honda of JAPAN!!

Glix2
10-25-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
This is killing me.

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!

I don't care what magazine anyone reads. This has happened before. Back in 99 that's all anyone talked about. Well we got the Si, so we'll get the type r, because I keep reading in these mags....................

yaddayaddayadda.
Not going to happen. The only type r we'll see here is the Acura RSX.

I agree with you, but I will add one point. The sub compact sport market has exploded since then.

They simply cannot compete in that market with what they currently offer. They are very competitive when it comes to keeping the younger buyers and that is something that Honda has lost over the last year. All the would be Si owners are driving Spec-V's or SVT Focus's. The Honda lots full of EP's attest to this. It's going to get worse for them when Dodge's SRT-4 comes out and then Mazdaspeed both for under 20,000. They have to do something, and if it's not the CTR then I expect a ramped up version of our Si sometime in the future.

The Type S is in another league entirely. It can't be considered competition for that market. It's too expensive in comparison.

So while I agree that the CTR coming over is hype I do believe Honda will do something in the near future.

ColinCivicSiR
10-25-2002, 02:16 PM
here is my 2 pennies worth: (this is long but worth the read IMHO)

The RSX-type R is not currently a viable product for North America, The RSX-S and Type R are too similar and with our emision standards the Type R will not poduce the same Horse power numbers.

The difference between the two engines is very small but very important. The JDM type R (I make the distinction because the Aussie Type R is a RSX-S with the Type R Body kit) has a different head, but this is only different in the casting material according to HONDA TUNING magazine. The Type-R uses a finer quality of metal in casting the head which gives it very smooth passages which don't require porting. The JDM car also user higher compression pistons and a different ECU. I read somewhere that the cams are the same but cannot find that quote.

The JDM car also has a limited slip and a different final drive ratio than the type -S.(not sure about the gears themselves)

These small differences and the slightly lighter weight make the car faster in a straight line. There are many other differences that make it faster in the corners but those don't prevent it coming to North America.

The stumbling block for the RSX-type R is emission standards with the type R header which is a 4-2-1 the cat. It is furhter back and does not light up as quickly this causes it to have poor start up emisions, this is very important in making the ULEV standards. The type R motor will never make those standards with this header. With out this header and the 100 octane fuel requires to run the 11.5:1 pistons and the more agressive ECU the motor only makes about 205 horse power. Honda tunings "type-R" they tested barely made more horse power than the type-S on 91 octane.

This is not the performance jump that Honda needs to market this car in North America......the RSX-S/Type-R market is full of cars that make more power, and horse power numbers sell cars in North America.

The Civic Type R on the other hand uses the RSX-S motor and could be sold here now if honda developed bumpers and a spoiler kit to pass out crash standards.

The high priced performance car market has not grown very much in the past few years but the inexpensive Hot Hatch market of V-Spec's SVT's and SRT's is growing. They Civic Type-R would fill this hole left in honda's line up that the SI does not. Honda tuning shows a brand new on the lot Civic type R for 19000 American.....that is less than our cars sticker for.

02SilverSiHB Wrote:

" This has happened before. Back in 99 that's all anyone talked about. Well we got the Si, so we'll get the type r, because I keep reading in these mags...................."

The difference in 1999 was that we already had a type-R in North America with the ITR, we do not have one now and as I have pointed out the RSX type-R would be too difficult and less marketable to bring here.

The CTR will be here next year in 2003 as a 2004 model.

DJQuikFingaz
10-25-2002, 03:37 PM
My cousin works for Honda in Japan, we're supposed to get the type-r this year in Nov.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm lying. Just thought I'd play with your emotions.

Acidburn
10-25-2002, 04:04 PM
you had me going :D

Mechanic
10-26-2002, 07:09 AM
We may get a CTR, but my bet it that it's a least a full year off, and that's if we are extremely lucky.

A couple of months ago, when an article appeared in AutoWeek concerning the CTR, it mentioned Thomas Elliott's name as the decision-maker at American Honda Motor Company WRT the CTR and the RSX Type R. So I wrote him and ticked off a list of the reasons that I was a cash buyer for the CTR and why I'd much prefer it over the RSX equivilent. He (or someone ghost-writing for him) responded with a polite letter stating that Honda is "working on potential solutions" to the chassis and engine changes needed to import the car into the States. (I had assumed that the creation of U.S. legal CTRs would be just a matter of bolting together the mechanical pieces, and that the decision not to import the car was principally a marketing decision. Wrong.) Mr. Elliott also stated, "I should add this is not a short-term situation." That tells me we talking 18 months or more, if then.

But, if you, like me, really want a CTR, my recommendation is that you break out the crayolas and write to Mr. Elliott. His title is Executive Vice President, Automobile Sales Operations, American Honda Motor Co., Inc., 1919 Torrance Blvd., Torrance, CA 90501-2746. Honda's smart enough to know that for every person who writes a letter regarding their products, there a dozens more thinking the same thoughts who haven't written. If enough of us express an interest, Honda is bound to respond. They always have and it's always been positive.

ssvr6
10-26-2002, 07:59 AM
Honda would be stupid not to bring the CTR here. The sport compact market is sky rocketing, hell it's part of the reason the Camaro/Firebird is no more.

They need to strike while the iron's hot.

Steve