PDA

View Full Version : Tire Help

Btrthnezr3
06-11-2004, 05:59 AM
Hey guys...I've done some searching but can't really find what I'm looking for.
I was thinking maybe we could have a central location with particular tire reviews? I know I've dealt with a few different models/brands of tires since I've been driving and I'm sure you all have too.
Maybe we could put tire specs and reviews all in one thread?
This all started because I'm looking at getting rims/tires soon and wasn't really sure what tire would be the best for my needs. I know most people here are concerned with grip mostly, but some might be more interested in tread wear, durability, price, all season performance, etc etc.

Yokohama Avid H4
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/yokohama/yo_avid_h4s_ci2_l.jpg
These were the first set of new tires on my 99 Civic. These were a replacement for the 14" stockies. These were a great passenger tire that provided comfort and durability for a stock civic. They had excellent wear but performed only as good as a normal passenger tire could be expected to. They did have good rain traction but left something to be desired when it came to cornering. Obviously these are not performance tires, but if someone is looking for a tire to replace the stockies...these are fairly cheap and good tires.
Tirerack.com says they have them in 14-18" sizes.
Starting price is $79

Yokohama Parada Spec 2
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/yokohama/yo_parada_spec2_ci2_l.jpg
I had this tire on my set of 17" Enkei's while I was still driving my 99 Civic. These tires were the "in" thing when they first came out so that's what I got when I ordered my rims. Anyways, the tires were ok. They had a little road noise, but very good rim protection through potholed Houston roads, but they wore extremely fast and did not provide the superior grip that some people may be looking for. When I took these off the car I noticed that one of the tires had a secrew and a nail in it...and was still running fine without leaking hair...needless to say I was shocked ;) In that sense, they were great!
They did perform great in the rain but tended to flex more than was expected for 17s on turns in the hot Houston days.
I purchased these tires from Discount Tire for about $120 a piece, if I remember correctly.
Tirerack.com has the following review numbers...
Dry Traction (9.1)--Wet Traction (7.6)--Hydro resistance (7.3)--Cornering Stability (8.9)--Steering (8.9)--Ride Comfort (7.5)--Noise Comfort (7.1)--Treadwear (7)

Yokohmama YK420
http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/fd/e2/Yokohama_YK420_Passenger_Performance_Tire1-resized200.jpg
These were my second set of "aftermarket" tires on the 99 Civic. I got these when I decided to change from the 17s to something a little more subtle. Wrapping my Rota C8s, these tires were a great all around tire. In 15inch size, they provided a little bit of flex in the sidewall, but somewhat less than what would be expected for 15s. These are the tires currently on the car (my mom drives it now) and they are standing up great. Incredibly great and even tread wear and all season durability and traction. These handle great on dry and wet roads...but you can break them loose if you really push them. They have great traction when compared to other all season tires, but obviously somewhat less than a full out performance tire. They provide a very stable and comfortable ride as I have taken numerous trips with these on the car. I also bought these tires from Discount Tire but I can't remember how much they went for. Current prices can probably be found on tires.com

Makross
06-11-2004, 06:04 AM
i think this is a good idea

Btrthnezr3
06-11-2004, 06:06 AM
Thanks...I'd like to get a sticky and we can update with current prices, pictues, and full spec sheets...whatcha think?