PDA

View Full Version : half of my prokit is on... ugh...

pLopSI
06-11-2004, 09:30 PM
Well, after about 4-5 hours, me n' some friends got in the front and rear passenger's side springs. The front was relatively easy, but the rear was such a bitch. The first problem was trying to reach that back bolt on the top of the strut assembly; we didn't have much room to work with because of a piece that connected to the side and floor of the trunk. Now... is it okay if we remove that piece? because I figured that it's some piece that reinforces the chassis, and we were unsure if we were going to be able to get that back in.
If so, then it'll be slightly easier to work with for the other side.

The next problem dealt with trying to line up the bottom of the rear strut where that big bolt goes in. That took us like more than an hour to line up and bolt up.

Lastly, the rear bumpstop that was supplied with the eibachs kind of just sinked pretty far down the strut, and it sat kind of loose. Is that ok? Hopefully it will because I really don't feel like taking the rear assembly back out.

I'm probably going to try to do the rest tomorrow morning. But as of now, the drop is much more noticeable and i'm looking forward to seeing the finished work. Hopefully, some of you guys can give me some advice that will help on doing the rest of the springs. Thanks in advance.

Slip_Angle
06-11-2004, 09:43 PM
To align the rear bolts, just have a friend stand on the rear brake drum. This worked great for me and took about 2 minutes.

Not sure what your doing to try and reach the top bolt of the rear strut assembly, but it was pretty easy for us. Just to lay out the steps we took (From memory).

1. Drop rear seats
2. Remove plastic pieces covering the strut towers.
3. Use a ratchet /w extension to remove the nut.

Should take 10 minutes.

Not sure about the bump stops as I installed Sportlines but I imagine they should be similar. They only go on the rear. Just take the strut apart and replace in order with the replacement bumpstop.

Make sure you torque everything to specifications. If you under or over tighten, you'll run into problems!! Hope you have a torque wrench.

Anyone else?

pLopSI
06-11-2004, 10:00 PM
awesome. thanks CDN for the advice. Yea, the other problem was the torquing. We have a torque wrench, but all of the diy's we've read through didn't tell us how much to torque the bolts down, so we basically just tightened everything. Wut problems do u think i'll run into if i overtighten everything?.
As for that rear bolt, it's wierd because in the DIYs, i don't see the piece i'm describing in the pics. I guess i'll hafta take a picture and upload it, but we'll probably just get around that obstacle and finish up anyways.
But thanks again for the advice.

idrive
06-12-2004, 03:04 AM
i was worrying about how much to torque things down to too...
but yah know its sucha pain in the ass to get to some of those bolts.. i basically just tightened them til it felt tight... i DID however tighten the bolts that i knew had to be pretty tight with everything i had... and checked them every once in a while...
and so far 20,000m miles later... nothings fallen apart or broken... :D

toda_power
06-12-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by idrive
but yah know its sucha pain in the ass to get to some of those bolts.. i basically just tightened them til it felt tight... i DID however tighten the bolts that i knew had to be pretty tight with everything i had... and checked them every once in a while...

haha..good shit

pLopSI
06-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by idrive

awesome. good stuff... at least i know that my strut assembly or anything else isn't going to dropp off onto the highway when i drive.

But I had acutally forgotten to tighten down my lug nuts after i got my car off on jackstands. So me and some of my friends took the car out for a test drive not knowing that we had forgotten to tighten them down. I went up to 80mph hearing this odd noise and my friend felt a odd vibration sound in the back seat. I thought we had installed something wrong, but we didn't actually know what was the problem until i started to take some corners and hearing the wheel wobble. So I ended up driving back home at like 25-30mph, and tighten everything down. After, we took another test drive going around rotarys at 60mph. It's good to say that all is good now :D :cool: