PDA

View Full Version : special tools for lowering???

ep3
10-25-2002, 06:32 PM
i'm planning on getting my coilovers for my ep real soon. i'm trying to get everything together so i'll be ready when i finally get my coilovers, so i'll be prepared. i was just wondering if there are any special tools that i'll need besides the sockets, wrenches, and spring compressors???

02SilverSiHB
10-25-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by ep3
i'm planning on getting my coilovers for my ep real soon. i'm trying to get everything together so i'll be ready when i finally get my coilovers, so i'll be prepared. i was just wondering if there are any special tools that i'll need besides the sockets, wrenches, and spring compressors???
you'll need a deep socket 14mm, 6" extension, allen wrenches, 17mm socket,10mm socket, 12mm socket, 22mm (I think), and 19mm (I think).
You'll need a spring compressor. power tools are a big help.

ep3
10-25-2002, 09:43 PM
thanx for the help 02SilverSiHB.

i was looking at the '02 si service manual, and i was reading up on how to take the springs out. there was a step where it said i would need to use a ball joint remover. is a ball joint remover necessary? if it is, where would i pick one up?

ep3guy
10-25-2002, 09:49 PM
hey ep3, what part of OC are you from? what color car do you drive? =)

02SilverSiHB
10-27-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by ep3
thanx for the help 02SilverSiHB.

i was looking at the '02 si service manual, and i was reading up on how to take the springs out. there was a step where it said i would need to use a ball joint remover. is a ball joint remover necessary? if it is, where would i pick one up?
did you ever see the post I made about the ball joint? I posted a reply, but it appears to be gone because of the swap of servers.

ep3
10-27-2002, 09:29 PM
i didn't see it. could you please post it again??? thanx!!!

02SilverSiHB
10-28-2002, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by ep3
i didn't see it. could you please post it again??? thanx!!!
no prob. Basically I didn't use a ball remover. I just unscrewed the nut that is on the bolt of the tie rod. I unscrewed it till it was flush with the bottom of the bolt and then used a rubber mallet to knock it out of the shock. It took a couple of hits, but it came right out.
Here's what I'm talking about:
http://www.pryor.ws/honda/pics/HRSprings01.JPG

Here is the how to that HondaMan had made: http://www.pryor.ws/honda/gallery1.htm

Silver2K2SI
10-28-2002, 07:39 AM
Lowering isn't too bad, be careful that the axels don't slip out of there drive shafts (maybe poor wording) getting those back in can be a pain...

02SilverSiHB
10-28-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Silver2K2SI
Lowering isn't too bad, be careful that the axels don't slip out of there drive shafts (maybe poor wording) getting those back in can be a pain...
yeah, when you unbolt the shock assembly in the front, the rotor assembly will come out of the drive shaft. you may freak at first, but don't worry. I've done the install three times (my best install time is 1hr and 45minutes :D ) and it's easy. Just push it back in while rotating the rotor (rotate the rotor by grabbing onto the lugs and twisting the rotor clockwise or counter clockwise). think of it as a master lock, you have to turn it to get the drive shaft to line back up, while pushing it back in.

ep3
10-28-2002, 11:52 AM
thanx for all the info!!!

i-WERKS
06-25-2004, 11:08 PM
yeah, when you unbolt the shock assembly in the front, the rotor assembly will come out of the drive shaft. you may freak at first, but don't worry. I've done the install three times (my best install time is 1hr and 45minutes :D ) and it's easy. Just push it back in while rotating the rotor (rotate the rotor by grabbing onto the lugs and twisting the rotor clockwise or counter clockwise). think of it as a master lock, you have to turn it to get the drive shaft to line back up, while pushing it back in.

I wished I had read this thread earlier. :'( I think mine fell out too far.

amctmg
06-26-2004, 12:52 AM
I don't know if this helps but you don't need a spring compressor to remove the stock springs. All you need to do is stand the strut up and remove the top nut while pushing down on the upper spring perch with the palm of your hand wraping your fingers around on of the top coils of the spring. after taking the nut off gently relieve the pressure while holding with both hands it will only lift up about an inch. There is not that much pressure on it. And since your putting coilovers on you can just adjust them down to install and once they are on the car you can adjust them up but if someone were to be using lowering springs simply put the spring on the strut and get everything alinged and push down on the upper spring perch with both hands but have the nut handy so you can reach it while holding it down with one hand to put the nut on. And to remove the tie rod end you simply loosen the nut like in the above picture and with a fairly heavy hammer smack the end of the arm coming off the strut but be careful not to hit the tie rod end one smack should do it. Also if the axle comes out which it will don't worry thats normal just let em go and when reinstalling put the strut back in and install the lower bolt that holds the strut to the spindle and grab the axle and make sure it feels like its lined up to go in take your big hammer and hit the top of the spindle inward while pushing in on the strut housing. One good smack should do it.

hopefully this helps,

Aaron

dtexan
06-26-2004, 01:52 AM
You can also rent spring compressors from your local auto parts store usually for free or very little money. also air tools are your friend

ViViDPeArL
06-26-2004, 08:04 AM
when you remove the strut and the rotor/hub/brake assembly will 'drop' down...don't let it drop too far!!!! it only takes 2-3 inches and the axle is out. it's a bitch to get back in like everyone says. Also, an easy way to get the tie rod balljoint out is get a hammer, and wack a the sides of the strut where they mount. The tie rod ball joint is taperd and therefore it'll pop itself out. or you can do it with a rubber mallet. don't use a hammer cuz you might damage the threads and replacement tie rod ends if i'm not mistaken are 50-60 bucks.

dontknow
06-26-2004, 09:42 AM
For the fron I recomend a spring compressor... Just to be on the safe side...

As for the tie rod end do exactly what AMCTMG said...

and as said many times make sure you tie the break assembly nice and tite I might save you tones of time trying to get it back in...

i-WERKS
06-27-2004, 01:18 AM
the tie rod was pretty easy. I just used a gear puller. The drive shaft was what got me scared. In the end, I just had someone keep banging it in while I turned the rotor. Eventually it went in. I've never done anything like this before. I spent 2 hours trying to get it back in and 12 hours worrying about it. The rest of the install was easy but the rear lower bolt doesn't come out easy.

03silverEP
06-28-2004, 10:08 AM
get the how to from 7thgencivic it's very good, and included tips from someone whos done it many times:

ex. to keep the axels from falling out, put your rims under the front rotors when removing the strut the tires will hold the axels up and in

and for the tierod removal, don't use a pickle fork you're almost guaranteed to rip the boot, just get a hammer and pound on the tie rod connector on the strut, i'll eventually fall out, or use a piece of wood w/the hammer. oh, and partially put the nut back on when hammering so you don't strip the bolt

remember to pay attention to how the front top mount is orientated in the shock tower it needs to point the same direction when reinstalled

also use thick grease/anti-seize on the rubber mounts where the spring makes contact