PDA

View Full Version : Using Stock turbos from other cars

2fastcivic
06-13-2004, 05:32 PM
you guys think it is a good idea to use stock turbos from other cars like eclipse, audi, or saab to customize a kit for the k20 motor? i konw it would never make as much power as an aftermarket turbo but i would be satisfied w/ 250whp. i was just wondering b/c i've been searching around the net about custom turbo setups. let me know your what you think.

Si3
06-13-2004, 08:26 PM
If 250whp is your goal... i/h/e + greddy w/ IC + K-pro = 247whp.

Any stock turbo off a saab, eclipse, or audi is pushing maybe 3-4psi w/ no IC or computer managment system.

Should put you around 185, (maybe) 200 whp.

2fastcivic
06-14-2004, 10:34 AM
not being rude are anything but you are not making any since. why would i get intake and header if i wanted to turbo my car. and im trying to custom a turbo not buy an overpriced kit like greddy that doesnt even come w/ an intercooler. and those stock trubo cars do have intercoolers and they use their stock ecu. atleast you tried to help. thanks anyways. anyone else???

goy091
06-15-2004, 04:25 AM
if you have a lot of free time and know how its possible to put a junkyard turbo kit together. would probably be a fun project.

not to be mean or anything, but i think youd be better off saving for a turbo kit and not have to worry if the thing is going to be reliable.

RMC22
06-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by 2fastcivic
not being rude are anything but you are not making any since. why would i get intake and header if i wanted to turbo my car. and im trying to custom a turbo not buy an overpriced kit like greddy that doesnt even come w/ an intercooler. and those stock trubo cars do have intercoolers and they use their stock ecu. atleast you tried to help. thanks anyways. anyone else???

How is GReddy overpriced? It can be had for $2400 if you shop around. The intercooler for 730 at the same place. Now, I'm not a math expert, but I THINK thats 3130. The other kits are priced higher, but make more power due to the larger turbo. I can understand making your own kit, but starting by getting a junkyard turbo? You frugal man.

2fastcivic
06-15-2004, 02:45 PM
how about boost guages? BOV? greddy doesnt give you any of those things. you better keep adding to taht $3100 price of yours. cybernations gives you everything you need including guages and s-afc. and theirs only cost around $3600 if im not mistakened. oh and what does "frugal" mean?? thanks for trying to help but anyone else????

VBSI
06-21-2004, 06:59 AM
If you don't know what "frugal" means, check www.dictionary.com, and while you are there, check the picture next to "Better Buy A Retail Turbo and Have Someone Else Install It."

2fastcivic
06-21-2004, 09:19 AM
you guys aren't any help at all. if you aint got anything to say about the topic then dont say anyting at all. im not trying to be a bitch to anyone so dont do it to me. and im jus researching. i thought this was a good forum to get info from. thanks anyways.

VBSI
06-21-2004, 02:04 PM

You weren't very receptive to the advice that people offered. You seem to have it in your head that you want to build a custom turbo from a mix and match of parts that aren't designed for your car. This may be possible, but I doubt many people here would attempt to do something that may detonate their engine bay on I-75. Retail kits designed for the Si have a price that includes R&D and several hours of testing. They basically do what you are trying to do, but with a lot of time and money, and they aren't using a daily driver. Take the initiative and build one, then report back how you did. A great man stands on the shoulders of no one.

2fastcivic
06-21-2004, 02:09 PM
what advice?? no one gave me any advice or helpful info. one guy told me wrong info. the other just told me to buy a turbo kit. like i havent thought of gettin a complete kit in the first place. and you werent even any help to me. and im not trying to build a turbo kit from a mix and match of parts from other cars. i was just wondering about the turbo. nothing else. so you are telling me to go and just do what i think is right to my Si? no thanks, thats why i am asking for infomation before i do anything at all.

k20whiteboi269
06-21-2004, 02:37 PM
here is a link for you to check out- its about a custom turbo install on a b-series motor. but it still gives listing of parts needed and sources. maybe you allready know all o fthis but just trying to be somewhat helpfull.

http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yelevich/turbo/turbo.html

i havent seen anyone with a custom set-up on their k series yet, but many b series people have been successfull with them.

sometimes you dont have to spend lots of money to get extra horsepower- well if you are skilled enough. hehe too bad im not skilled enough :)

CaTiRo
06-21-2004, 02:43 PM
normally by piecing a kit together yourself you end up "saving" money. but if your knowledge on turbo's are limited then a kit like greddy or cybernation would be best. lots of people run homemade kits on d and b series engines and have no problems. the t25 on the 2nd generation eclipses are pretty popular for homemade kits. also if you make your own kit you can get the type of parts you want/need.

raiyo
06-21-2004, 03:11 PM
dont bother with stock turbos from other older cars. to much trouble and money to customize it to fit the ep. Go built a turbo from scratch, it'll be cheaper, but not CARB legal. I have a link on my home computer. I'll hook it up if it is still there. Pretty good price on turbos there. One site i remember off hand is www.cheapturbo.com

2fastcivic
06-21-2004, 03:29 PM
i have been lookin at cheapturbo.com. there are some guys that have done custom turbos on clubrsx w/ success. there are a couple of guys on here that have started on a custom turbo already. i dont think the T25 will be good enough for me(hp wise), plus it will spool way to quick. i might just try to find a used t3/t4 turbo or something. but customizing a turbo will be a good experience b/c i will learn alot. plus i will have alot of help. oh and thanks for the links guys.

VBSI
06-21-2004, 04:17 PM
How do you handle the electronics aspect with a custom turbo? I would feel safer using a retail kit with it's own piggyback or computer, but that isn't to say it won't work well.

the giant ep3
06-21-2004, 05:09 PM
you have to take into account the equipment that you get with a kit like greddy or rev hard including the reflash on your ecu, manifold, piping, bov, wastegate, injectors, fmu and like previous people people stated all the r/d, etc. now back to stock turbos, unlike previously stated not all stock turbos are run at low psi. the saab turbos are run usually around 8-10 psi and i believe the audi turbos are close to the same. imo you will get better results with a turbo like a t3/t4, t3/t67 setup, but after trubo is had, ic, ic piping(custom obviously), bov, wastegate, manifold, fuel managemnent you are probably going to spend the same as buying a kit, so it is really up to you, if you have the time to spend searching for parts and putting together a custom setup feel free, but for the time and money involved just go with a tried and true kit like greddy or revhard, or even drop the money on the jrsc if your goal is 250, it should be there soon. my .02

raiyo
06-21-2004, 06:50 PM
i lost the link to find the turbos for a good price. :crym:

2fastcivic
06-22-2004, 11:59 AM
was the site cheaper than the turbos on cheapturbo.com??

raiyo
06-22-2004, 12:15 PM
was the site cheaper than the turbos on cheapturbo.com??

honestly, i forgot.

2fastcivic
06-22-2004, 02:03 PM
what are your opinions about a t3/04e turbo w/ 57 trim? i found a place that sells this turbo brand new for $440shipped. but i dont know what name brand the turbo is. i was just wondering about it.

smilla0
06-22-2004, 02:39 PM
I think the Grand Natties use t3/t4 turbos. I see them for sale all the time. They are old and probably extra slow to spool on a 2.0L engine, but you don't seem to care about that.

2fastcivic
06-22-2004, 03:16 PM
what you guys think about these turbos i just found on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7905942656&category=33742

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7906360708&category=33742

smilla0
06-22-2004, 04:13 PM
They both look like pretty good deals, as long as they are in good shape. They certainly look clean. I'd buy 'em.

2fastcivic
06-22-2004, 06:39 PM
they are brand new. i wouldnt dare to buy a used turbo off of ebay. i dont want to take that kind of risk.

smilla0
06-23-2004, 03:14 AM
They say "Wet Floating Ball Bearings" but it sounds like a non-ball bearing turbo to me. Those usually go for about $900 new, so if it is indeed brand new, then try to keep it under that price. Err, I just noticed someone got the first one for $360. That would be an excellent deal!

2fastcivic
06-23-2004, 05:18 PM
http://www.importbuilders.com/turbos.html
anyone knows what turbo this is? the one on the left that cost $440shipped. is it any good?