PDA

View Full Version : New to all types of suspension !?!?! Where do I start?

bgsteve523
06-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Ok Guys,
I guess its time now, please do not laugh. I have always been a WHP guy making sure I had power before anything else. So now I have lots of power and a new clutch going in here in the next couple of days. I need to start working on some suspension work. Now I know NOTHING AT ALL about this. I want to work on the ride height first (baby steps lol) this car sits too tall. Now what should I go with? How much will it cost? How low should I go? I am riding on stock tires and rims right now and will upgrade here eventually but I would like to make sure what I go with will not hurt the chance of putting on some nice 17's down the road. Ohhh my other big concern is speed bumps, I have lots in the area I live in so I don't want to be scraping my cat every time I go over one. Sorry about all the ?'s but like I said before I don't know anything about suspension work. Any info will be good and thank you.
Steve O

jerseyjew
06-13-2004, 08:27 PM
HFP suspension. I don't have my suspension yet, but it shall work wonders !!

bgsteve523
06-13-2004, 08:31 PM
anyone have any idea's on how hard install is on springs how much they are and what else i would need?
Thank you,
Steve O

jerseyjew
06-13-2004, 08:53 PM
There is a write up on k-series under technical. It is pretty straight forward with pics and all. The only thing you will need is a basic socket set, tie rod end puller (pitman puller), and spring compressors. I am sure you can rent the spring compressors and tie rod end puller from autozone or pepboys.

JohnR
06-13-2004, 08:59 PM
(MotorBooks Workshop) High-Performance Handling Handbook

ISBN 0-7603-0948-5

This is a great resource it will explain suspension right from for the street to race setups. However having said that I would stay away from coil-overs unless you are going to race or are after a very specific gap between tire and wheel-well. I have Eibach Sportline springs, camber kits, stock shocks and the Type R 22mm rear sway bar. This setup makes an excellent daily driver and combined with 17's will not make the wife or girlfriends teeth rattle. The first thing to do is be absolutely honest with what the car is going to be used for ie. drag street or Autocross then decide how much money you want to spend. after that research the product and maker sure it is reputable. Camber kits will bring the cars alignment back to spec. and is important to reduce tire wear which in the long rn will allow you to spend more on mods.

bgsteve523
06-14-2004, 03:13 AM
awesome thank you guys very much for all the info. OK without sounding really dumb what is a chamber kit? (sorry for all the ?'s)
Thank you again,
Steve O

bgsteve523
06-14-2004, 03:15 AM
One last question do I need to get new shocks when I get springs or no, is it a good idea or a waist of $ if the shocks are still good.
Thanks again,
Steve O

JohnR
06-14-2004, 07:53 AM
A camber kit allows the camber which is the inward or outward tilit of the wheel from vertical to be corrected and if you are doing the install don't replace the shocks but if you are paying it may be worth your while to replace them depending on age and how low you want the vehicle to go. Also if you are looking for that extra bit of performance a nice adjustable shock is always a good thing. try Koni or Tokico.

raiyo
06-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Here is what I think.

If you just want to change springs, then go with Eibach Pro-Kit. Gives you about 1.0" drop. Goes well with stock shocks. Heard they will last about 1-1.5 yrs till it get blown. If you're concern about your mid-pipe scraping over speed bumps, then try not to get anything lower than an 1" in drop. If you're planning to change springs and shocks, then don't bother with mix and matching shocks and springs. Go with something that is factory made, in a set/box. Like.... Tein Basic, cost about 8-9 bills. Might be cheaper if you can find it. With those, you can adjust your ride height. Highest point I think is 1" inch.

After dropping your ride, consider getting a rear sway bar. Such as the CTR one, 22mm over your 15mm stock sway. A very noticeable difference. With the thicker sway bar, you might want to get a rear lower tie bar. That will help beef up the rear so the thicker sway bar won't rip anything under extreme stress. Any type will do, even an eBay one. If you want more bling or brand names, then go with Spoon. Stay away from DC, they are easily bent. The other thing I would recommend you to get is d2Design's Double X-Brace, however, you'll have clearance problems over speed bumps. It's a very good piece, and very noticeable, worth every buck. Then give Neuspeed Front Strut bar a try, nice 1 soild peice strut bar. One peice and at a good price. As for the rear strut bar, give Cucsco/Mr Alex a rear. Don't have either of those, but soon will.

swampdonkey
06-16-2004, 08:54 AM
If all you want is a little drop in ride hide then you could just go with the pro springs which was already suggested, but this one do much to help your handling. You will lower your center of gavity, but doing that alone doesn't equate to better handling. You struts will be hoplessly underdamped and if you are doing any real hard driving such as autocross your bumpstops are going to get beat to hell. Your struts will compress all the way and and you will run out of travel earlier than if you had stock springs on.
If you do go with just springs at first the handling will probably feel better, sharper, quicker whatever you want to call it, but it won't really increase your suspensions limits. I know somebody already said the best thing to do would be get a complete suspension kit and this is true. Its just going to cost you some $ just like anything else worth having. Also Have you replaced your stock tires with something better ones? As the only part of your car that touches the road (hopefully) these are the most important part.

bgsteve523
06-17-2004, 04:00 AM
cool thanks guys,
I can't decided what springs because I might want to drop her 1.5 inch not 1inch. Is the write up on k-series springs good to go with?
Thanks again for all the info,
Steve O

BarracksSi
06-17-2004, 04:43 PM
Just an opinion here --

I skipped the springs-only route, and went right to the whole Mugen Sports kit, with 16" Rota C8's and RSX-S rear sway. No regrets or "What if?"s.

raiyo
06-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
Just an opinion here --

I skipped the springs-only route, and went right to the whole Mugen Sports kit, with 16" Rota C8's and RSX-S rear sway. No regrets or "What if?"s.

at times, i wish mugen's kit is slightly higher. I agree with BarracksSi. Try to skip the spring-only route. I regret just doing my springs. I'm getting those "What ifs" now. ;) :(

JohnR
06-17-2004, 06:15 PM
I have lowered my car on Eibach Sportline 1.5" drop. I think this is perfect for daily driving I have stock shocks. The trend seems to be to advise a complete suspension kit, which will yield the overall best handling car. However what is it you are looking for most importantly ? Rank it Looks, Performance, Ride Quality, Ease of installation, Cost, Use. The easiest install would be a complete strut assembly. the cheapest is springs only and the best most expensive is coilovers. And I disagree to some extent on tires being the most important. A well balanced car with stock tires will work at least as well maybe even better than a stock car with an aggressive tire, if the car cannot keep the tires evenly planted on the rode it doesn't matter how sticky or wide they are. I mentioned a book earlirer check your library or buy it the best way to decide is to figure out what is good for you. Anything will be an improvement from stock, keeping in mind for performance and look, you will sacrifice ride quality.

BarracksSi
06-17-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by JohnR
However what is it you are looking for most importantly ? Rank it Looks, Performance, Ride Quality, Ease of installation, Cost, Use.

That's really good advice -- I never thought of it that way. I'll have to remember it. :)

From most to least important, my rank order would've been Performance, Ride Quality, Use (easy to use, low maintenance, I guess, for me), Ease of installation, Looks, and Cost.

Yes, Looks is really low on my priority list, but if a great-performing suspension setup actually raised the car, I certainly wouldn't get it.. lol

siver-SI
06-17-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by JohnR
I have lowered my car on Eibach Sportline 1.5" drop. I think this is perfect for daily driving I have stock shocks. The trend seems to be to advise a complete suspension kit, which will yield the overall best handling car. However what is it you are looking for most importantly ? Rank it Looks, Performance, Ride Quality, Ease of installation, Cost, Use. The easiest install would be a complete strut assembly. the cheapest is springs only and the best most expensive is coilovers. And I disagree to some extent on tires being the most important. A well balanced car with stock tires will work at least as well maybe even better than a stock car with an aggressive tire, if the car cannot keep the tires evenly planted on the rode it doesn't matter how sticky or wide they are. I mentioned a book earlirer check your library or buy it the best way to decide is to figure out what is good for you. Anything will be an improvement from stock, keeping in mind for performance and look, you will sacrifice ride quality.

I love my sportlines. Just enough drop to make the car look a lot better and you keep great ride quality. I have only bottomed out once and that was construction zone were they did not mark a big dip in the road. :mad: