PDA

View Full Version : TL harnesses

jdmwagon
06-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Anyone know if the Acura TL has a harness similar to that of the JDM CTR lights with HID's? Thanks.

SF-SI-02
06-15-2004, 11:36 AM
I doubt it. I asked a while back if ctr hid was low/hi or only low, I think you were the one who answered only low, and I am sure the TL has hi and low beams.... so I would expect the harness to be different. I know I have been giving this guy a lot of free advertisement, but I love the work he does, so if you need any harness from h4 to h1 and h3 or anything else try suvlights.com

STP03BlueSI
06-15-2004, 03:36 PM
The JDM HID bulbs are Hi/Low.

SF-SI-02
06-15-2004, 04:00 PM
How does it interchange? Is the bulb moved back and forth by a solenoid? I.E. is the reflector similar to an h4, because the ctr hid looks like it only has a single bulb, (not the 04) am I mistaken?

STP03BlueSI
06-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Its just like a reg HI/Low beam headlight

All HID is High Intensity Discharge.

jdmwagon
06-15-2004, 09:38 PM
Does anyone know how to wire in the JDM HID's? Anyone? I bought a set on e-bay a while back. They were advertised as plug and play which of course they were not. I am now stuck with useless headlights and am trying to figure out a way to wire them up. I have seen the write up onb clubrsx, and I am not a fan. Any suggestions?

SF-SI-02
06-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Actually, it is impossible for HID to work like a regular h4 bulb. H4 bulbs (the one your stock ep uses) has two filaments, one on top in the frint and one on bottom in the rear. When you go from lo to hi beams, one filament turns off and the other lights up. Because the filaments are located in two different positions, it hits different parts of your reflector and hence produces either lo or hi beam (sorry to the 99% of you who already know this). Now HID generates light by producing a spark (arc) between two very charges metal rods. Unfortunetly, there does not yet exist a technology to have two such arcs in one bulb, hence it is impossible to have lo and hi beams on a HID without something moving. Bi-xenon projectors move the projector reflector lens, without projector, you either need a separate light for hi and lo bems OR you need to physically more the lightbulb (and hence the arc) back and forth so that it hits the different parts of the reflector mentioned above. The ebay hi/lo h4 kits all have a solenoid which moves the light further in or out of the housing... if someone oens a pair of HID ctr lights, could you please tell me if there is a solenoid or servo motor which would allow you to go from hi to lo? Also, jdmwagon, could you post some pictures of the plugs included with yours so we can try and help out with the plugging?

jdmwagon
06-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Sounds good. I need help wiring these up so if anyonehas some suggestions here is a pic.
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzU5NDM0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

SF-SI-02
06-17-2004, 01:35 PM
That's alot pf plugs... I think you are going to have to find the correspondiong female plugs at your local car parts store, and also mate the existing plugs and run wires beteeen the two... What is the two prong plug for, the one that does not go into the ballast... is there an hid and another non-hid light in the unit?

SF-SI-02
06-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Ok, so it turns out (after a lot of searching) that lo and hi is activated via a solenoid which moves the reflector inside the headlamp unit, this is the second plug.

So what you want to do is:

(a) Purchase or make a harness so that when your light controls are in lo or hi, the low beam is actually turned on. If you don't feel like buying a harness, just look at your H4 (stock) plugs, they have three pins, one is ground one is positive lo and the other is positive hi. As long as you are not trying to mess up, your lights will always be on low or high, in theory you can connect both positives to the positive terminal on the ballast plug and the ground to the ground on the ballast plug. This is a bit risky though, as if you difle with the controls sometimes both low and hi are on, and I think that would be very bad for the ballast.

(b) Once you have sorted out part (a) above, what you want to do is wire the ground and the hi positive to the second 2 prong plug, this will ensure that the solenoid moves into position during the hi-beams. Now there is a small chance that the neutral solenoid oosition is hi beam (I highly doubt this), in which case, you would obviously wire the lo positive and ground to the 2 pronged plug which is not connected to the ballast.

(c) To be on the safe side, I would not use the ground from the H4 plug, rather I would find grounding points for all separte grounds,especially the ballast ground

If you are still reading :shockm: , this is a lot of detail, but I really think you should opt for a custom harness, because it is rather easy to screw up a ballast and that is oftn the most expensive part to replace. Though even with a custom harness, when you go from hi to lo, there could be a couple miliseconds when there is no flow going to the ballast, such flickering is bad for the life of the ballast, which is a very long way of saying, this is not a trivial mod, and if you don't do it carefully you jeapordize the life of your purchased goods.
Finally, if you have any questions about what I said above you can reply here or pm me. Hope this helps!

First of all, you need to ensure that your low beam is always on whehter you are in hi beam or low beam, .

. So, what you need to do is (a) find a way so that when you go from lo to hi, your lo beams