PDA

View Full Version : Major problem with AC

SubliminalSi
06-15-2004, 03:17 PM
Sorry if this goes somewhere else.

Well today i was on my way to an interveiw and i just turned on my AC and i heard a loud clunk, and now with the ac on theres a loud clicking. It sounds like its coming from some near the belts. And it gets really bad when im driving, it sounds like my car is really straning and i can feel it through my pedals. I dont really know anything about how all that works but i really dont have time to drop it off at honda anytime soon. Thanx for any help

David K.
06-15-2004, 03:46 PM
Does the clicking noise remain fairly constant regardless of rpm, or does it increase as engine speed increases? If it's fairly constant it could be the A/C compressor cycling on excessively; several reasons why it might do that and your best bet is to take it to Honda. If the clicking increases with engine speed it could be the compressor clutch malfunctioning, in which case it may eventually fail, locking up and taking the belt with it.

Look for any wear on the belt to see if it's being worn down on the edges; that's what happened to me when my compressor clutch started to fail. Either one of these problems will create increased drag on the motor. If you're still under warranty go to the dealer. I'm about to get my compressor replaced, and parts and labor at the dealership are right at $1200 dollars. Way too hot down here to not have A/C.

SubliminalSi
06-15-2004, 03:57 PM
It sounds like the same thing that happened to you. Well hopefully i will be able to drop it off later this week or next week.
BTW, where the hell have you been? lol

Go_EP_Go
06-15-2004, 05:30 PM
yeah that same thing happend to me wen i first got my car a year ago and i took it in and they never said they found out the problem all they did was silence the noise..so no more noise and AC works fine havent had any problem with it since

-kevin

mancalvo
06-15-2004, 05:57 PM
As David K stated, it is probably the comressor clutch or the compressor itself. Take to some that can help you out.

David K.
06-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by SubliminalSi
It sounds like the same thing that happened to you. Well hopefully i will be able to drop it off later this week or next week.
BTW, where the hell have you been? lol

I'm around, putting tons of miles on the ep (68,200 so far). Once I get the A/C fixed I'll be installing my race header and some other little things I've had sitting around forever.