PDA

View Full Version : Engine wear and tear........

norcalSI
10-27-2002, 09:57 AM
Supp guys....I am a new stick shift driver....I was wondering will my engine of my ep be okay with all the wear and tear from learning to drive a stick? Man its like i get scared to drive the car because i make mistakes sometimes. Another concern that i have is....is it bad for the engine to die because you let go of the clutch with out of gas or not enough of gas? Just wondering because I tend to do that a lot when i park...Don't want to go forward too fast... And if i die when a car is behind me i get nervous and die again... and again and again...Please let me know you guys think. I would hate to be hurting my engine....Another question that i have is it bad to have low rpms? like below 1000 at times? hmm thanks for all your time....Lates...

JSIR
10-27-2002, 11:33 AM
stalling the engine isn't that bad in terms of wear, as long as your not doing it 1000 times. But revving the engine up high and slipping the clutch heavily to get going will wear the clutch out more quickly (you see this often after people stall, and then try to take off quickly when re-starting). Grinding gears can be harmful to the tranny, hopefully you're not doing that too often. Driving at low rpms isn't too bad as long as you don't load the engine heavily with lots of throttle in a high gear. Driving at 800 rpms in first gear with light throttle in a parking lot won't hurt anything, and is quite normal. Driving in 4th gear at 1000 rpms with 50% throttle is hard on the drivetrain/engine though.hth

civic hatch boi
10-27-2002, 11:45 AM
don't worry about people behind you. just be calm and drive. if u die, so what. just try again.and remember... ur gas pedal does'nt control ur speed (well it does) but ur clutch does.. u can press the hell out of the gas pedal and if u depress the clutch slightly, it'll only move slightly so.. in a parking lot. if u only wanna move slowly.. just let go of clutch a little.. so dont' worry about moving too fast. hth too

SubliminalSi
10-27-2002, 12:01 PM
I learned stick with my ep and 6000 miles later its still working fine! Except for the squeky chair:o

http://www.dubfusion.com/misc/subliminalsi_sig.jpg

Spidey
10-27-2002, 01:33 PM
how new are you to driving a manual shift? this is my first stick shift and i picked it up after the 1st day. The shifting is a little jerky at times.
I'd rather wear out the clutch than to do other damage. better to wear out a part that costs a couple hundred bucks instead of a couple thousand.

norcalSI
10-27-2002, 03:53 PM
thanks guys i appreciate it so much that you guys replied....
what do you guys mean by grinding gears? Do you mean shifting with out the clutch all the way down? I have done that only about three times...do you guys think that i hurt the tranny? I have a nother question....Is it okay to down shift to 1st? Just wondering because when i am slowing down to almost 0 mph...i try to shift to first but it feels like the shifter doesn't want to move...so i keep it in second but the car kind of vibrates? Is that kind of vibration okay? Another question i have is ....should the shifter be smooth? I mean when you shift it should i feel nothing except the shift? Because when i shift it feels like there is a mechanism. I know there is one but should i feel it? To answer you question... I am a real newbie.... i had some practice on a truck before my ep but i wasn't too good. I just have so many questions because its a new car and i don't have experience. I'm just afraid i might be doing something wrong. Hey appreciate the help. THANKS TO ALL....

civic hatch boi
10-27-2002, 04:10 PM
grinding gears mean = crunch when u shift. u can tell

it's not ok to downshift to 1st gear.. unless u're going like 1-2mph.. then it's ok..

car vibrate = not enough gas with the amount of clutch that is depressed.. add more gas or press clutch down

and shift should be pretty smooth..

ps. btw, u don't have to press the clutch all the way down when u shift... but it's good to.. but i never do :) ahha

poppasp1ce
10-27-2002, 08:20 PM
car vibrate = not enough gas with the amount of clutch that is depressed.. add more gas or press clutch down

if the car vibrates when you gas it, its probably because your in too low of a gear for the speed your going. meaning, if your going 10mph in 5th gear, then you gun it (while still in 5th) you'll shake the paint off the car :D

IceD out N CALI
10-27-2002, 08:30 PM
your car will be fine:)