PDA

View Full Version : skunk2 or ground control coilovers?

ep3si02
06-16-2004, 10:14 AM
im looknig at getting some sleeved coilovers..but not sure which ones to get..if any one has any good or bad info about the skunk2 or ground control or any other ones post it up...also is anyone using any sleeved coilovers from the em1 civic coupes because i was also looking at some hp racing sleeved coilovers but they're made for the coupes, will they fit right?..i know some people using hp coilovers on some other cars and they've been good..

ALLMOTOR03SI
06-16-2004, 10:35 AM
get the ground controls, because i have the skunk 2 coilovers, and mine are seized up and just not very good quality just my 2 cents buy what you want, but if i had to choose again id buy the ground controls

ep3si02
06-16-2004, 10:44 AM
thanks for the fast reply..yea i was thinking about the ground control more cause they use eibach springs but the thing with ground control is that the lowest they drop it 2.5 inches i think..i dont think ill ever go lower than that anyways..so ill see..so does any one else think its worth the extra money for the ground controls?

k20whiteboi269
06-16-2004, 11:41 AM
ive had skunk2 coilovers on a previous honda and they sucked. they were bouncy, noisy and rusted so easy that i had a hell of a time adusting height. i as well would go ground control.

03silverEP
06-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Skunk2 is a name, maybe their motor parts are good but not the suspension parts.

Eibach is a name also, that is backed by proven quality.

ep3si02
06-16-2004, 02:52 PM
alright thanks for all the reply's...looks like im probably gonna go with the ground controls..like 6 people have already told me to go with ground control..

02USDMEP3
06-17-2004, 06:32 AM
I'm doing some pretty serious modifications to my project in the coming months but this winter I was tired of stock height and grabbed something to hold me over so I got the Skunk2 kit for a cheap price. You pay for what you get, they are shit, they aren't even enough to keep you satisfied. Next month when when I get my JIC's I'm not even going to resell them because I don't like taking advantage of people, they're that bouncy.:mad:

i-WERKS
06-17-2004, 12:37 PM
go for full coilovers. You will eventually. If you buy the ground controls and koni yellows, it'll costs close to the same as Teins. I have skunk2s. I grease them 2 times a year and they haven't siezed but the coating on my springs flaked off and now it's rusting. It seems like only I have that problem on this forum. Skunk2 stopped replying to my emails after I sent them the pictures.(bastards).. Needless to say, I'm no longer buying skunk2 products nor would I recommend them. My buddy has ground controls and they're just as hard to adjust.

VNlilMAN
06-17-2004, 02:35 PM
NONE! all sleeved coils are CRAP! I always hear about people with blown shocks, what do they use... sleeved coilovers. Whether its ground controls or skunk2s. They're all bouncey and handling on them just sucks. If your using stock shocks, just stick to lowering springs. If not do it right the first time and go with true coilovers.

ep3si02
06-17-2004, 02:38 PM
i would like to go with full coilovers except I dont have the money for them and i probably wont anytime soon so i was planning on buying the ground controls and just wait till my stock shocks blow and them look around for some aftermarket ones, by then there should be a better selection. and like like it'll be easier to save up for each part since im not spending it all at once..but im still not totally sure on what im gonna do

ep3si02
06-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by VNlilMAN
NONE! all sleeved coils are CRAP! I always hear about people with blown shocks, what do they use... sleeved coilovers. Whether its ground controls or skunk2s. They're all bouncey and handling on them just sucks. If your using stock shocks, just stick to lowering springs. If not do it right the first time and go with true coilovers.

the thing i dont like about lowering springs is that alot of the pictures i have seen of ep's on lowering springs, the back of the car seems to sag alittle, and then the back ends up lower than the front..well one of the ones i seen that i like are the eibach sportlines, are those 1.5 or 2 inch drop?

i-WERKS
06-17-2004, 02:54 PM
Honestly, it doesn't ride that bad on stock shocks. I've been using skunk2s and stock shocks for almost 2 years, they aren't blown yet. I had it lowered until there was no gap between the wheel well and tires for about 9 months and the stock shocks still held up. Handling isn't better than stock but it isn't worse either. I probably have about a 1.2 - 1.4 inch drop now and I still bottom out on some bumps and rail road crossings. I'm sure the ground controls and other lowering springs do the same. I've heard that full suspension doesn't do that. And trust me, it hurts to hear/feel your car bottom out. Most people I know, regret getting coilovers/springs and eventually pay to get the full suspension setup. I'm one of them. I have the Mugen suspension on order.

And for after market shocks. It's been 2 years now and only Koni yellows fit our cars (as far as I know). That's WITH modifications.

VNlilMAN
06-17-2004, 03:58 PM
how about neuspeeds? I just LOVE their products and usually they have a nice even drop.

Eh i have full coilovers and i bottom out occasionally. But then again i'm slammed like 2.5". When i had ground controls I was only at around 2" and I would bottom out A LOT more than I do now.

k20hatch
06-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Ground Control for me!

1NasteeEp
06-21-2004, 08:39 PM
I was looking to get my Ground Control Coilovers here shortly. But as always I have done some researching and opinions after multiple opinions....You can also buy the Camber Plate with the GC Coilovers, it seems that will help out as well.....If this doesn't seem to work out, or other opinions on the product arise. I will just fork out the extra cash for True Coilovers such as some Teins. ;)

Just a thought. :)

YooShin
06-23-2004, 10:42 PM
the thing i dont like about lowering springs is that alot of the pictures i have seen of ep's on lowering springs, the back of the car seems to sag alittle, and then the back ends up lower than the front..well one of the ones i seen that i like are the eibach sportlines, are those 1.5 or 2 inch drop?
I've got Progress Springs and they're ok. I get people asking me all the time If it's dropped or if I installed the wrong springs on the front. I've got about 1" gap in the front and about 1/4 in the back. I look at all my buddys slammed Integras and EKs and I look like I'm still stock. I know several folks w/ GC not just on Hondas and they love them. In fact a friend of mine has a SVT Focus dropped w/ GCs all the way. His stock shocks lasted for over a year until he just saved enough to replace them. Even then he said the stockys where not really "blown". How low can the GC go again on the EP?

ep3si02
06-24-2004, 10:35 AM
i think the ground controls can go up to 2.5 inches down..thats what i've read