PDA

View Full Version : how much do stock ep rims weigh?

o3 ep3
06-16-2004, 05:03 PM
just wondering how much the stock o3 ep rims weight...thinking of buying some Works
thanks

skooba
06-16-2004, 05:06 PM
i'm pretty sure rims are 19 lbs

rims/tires = 40 lbs.

JohnR
06-16-2004, 10:15 PM
I am not sure about the tims alone but according to Import Tuner. The stock tire, wheel combo weighs 41 lbs. and a set of Forged Monobloc Volk TE37 18x8.5 with BFG G-Force 215/40-18 weighs 40 lbs. So it doesn't seem to matter too much what wheel tire combo you run not much weight to save.

RMC22
06-16-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by JohnR
I am not sure about the tims alone but according to Import Tuner. The stock tire, wheel combo weighs 41 lbs. and a set of Forged Monobloc Volk TE37 18x8.5 with BFG G-Force 215/40-18 weighs 40 lbs. So it doesn't seem to matter too much what wheel tire combo you run not much weight to save.

There's some weight to save, but not if you jump from a 15 to 18 inch tire ;) Lightweight wheels can be great, the problem is most people neglect tire weight so the only advantage left becomes traction.

i-vtec04si
06-16-2004, 10:41 PM
ive heard the 04s wiegh 22 with out tires

mykel
06-17-2004, 09:27 AM
It is also not just the weight but where the weight is located.

A 15" and a 17" with the same weight ( wheel tire combo ) will perform differently. With the 17 the majority of the weight is further from the center point so its moment of inertia is higher. It takes more energy to accelerate than the smaller wheel.

Think of an ice-skater doing a spin. As the skater brings in their hands / arms the speed of the spin increases. You can do the same thing by sitting on a bar stool with your legs sticking out. Spin yourself then bring your legs in toward your body, the speed of the spin increases as the mass moves closer to the rotation point.

While this does not affect handling as it pertains to suspension reaction when loaded with unsprung weight, it will have other implications with regard to steering / scrub angles. ( this has more to do with the rim width / offset and its relation to steering geometry )

Sorry I can't remember more, physics was a LONG time ago.

Basically for pure performance, run the smallest lightest wheel combo possible - ala autocrossers. For the rest it is a trade-off, between looks and perf.

swampdonkey
06-17-2004, 09:57 AM
I also thought it was 22lbs, but I could be wrong.

4g63dsm
06-20-2004, 05:55 PM

A 15" and a 17" with the same weight ( wheel tire combo ) will perform differently. With the 17 the majority of the weight is further from the center point so its moment of inertia is higher. It takes more energy to accelerate than the smaller wheel.

Think of an ice-skater doing a spin. As the skater brings in their hands / arms the speed of the spin increases. You can do the same thing by sitting on a bar stool with your legs sticking out. Spin yourself then bring your legs in toward your body, the speed of the spin increases as the mass moves closer to the rotation point.

While this does not affect handling as it pertains to suspension reaction when loaded with unsprung weight, it will have other implications with regard to steering / scrub angles. ( this has more to do with the rim width / offset and its relation to steering geometry )

Basically for pure performance, run the smallest lightest wheel combo possible - ala autocrossers. For the rest it is a trade-off, between looks and perf.Tu es muy inteligente

BlairSpeed
06-21-2004, 04:02 PM
04's are 16" and weigh 22lbs
02-03's are 15" and weigh 19lbs.

spookyoen
06-22-2004, 04:05 PM

Basically for pure performance, run the smallest lightest wheel combo possible - ala autocrossers. For the rest it is a trade-off, between looks and perf.

Good explanation! This is why I stick to 15's!