PDA

View Full Version : What is the purpose?

MyBlkSI
06-17-2004, 01:52 PM
The material under the oem hood is that there just to deaden the sound or is it to protect the paint from heat, or both? The reason i'm asking is a BMW driver i know removed his to hear the engine scream under load. It sounds like a good idea to me, I personally want to hear the engine from the front and not so much from the back.

So will my paint turn cherry red and melt if i take it off, or is the material there just to keep the K quiet?

SubliminalSi
06-17-2004, 02:11 PM
I think its for heat and fire protection

beechstreet
06-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by SubliminalSi
I think its for heat and fire protection

thats what i was told, but my CF hood doesnt have one, so um, sucks to be me :D

00-ITR-373
06-17-2004, 06:06 PM
I was guessing it was for sound insulation. None of the older Hondas have had it on there (ITR, EK hatch, etc..) I'd remove it to save a little weight (I know, not much) and to hear the engine more. I'd think you'd want it off to let heat out of the engine more? The S2K has it under the hood also, and the Mugen hood which is specifically wind tunnel tested to cut temps under the hood, has no such insulator.

JohnR
06-17-2004, 06:21 PM
The material attached to the hood is for noise reduction. Your paint will nto turn cherry red and you will save a little weight.

YooShin
06-17-2004, 06:31 PM
The material, which is federaly regulated, is design to melt and drape the engine in the event of a fire thus extinguishing the flames. this same material is used in in your firewall, new buildings, and yes, NASCAR. I believe Dupont has patent on the latest and greatest of this technology.

MyBlkSI
06-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Yeah i was just shitting around aboput the "cherry red" part but i figured the paint might dull or flake from the heat. But hey if its just for sound deadening i'm gonna ride without it. Besides I wanna hear my engine, and its nice to hear it from somewhere besides the exhaust... BTW did any of you guys with the CF hood notice a change in the sound since you don't have the insulation?

SilverBulletEp3
06-17-2004, 06:37 PM
You can also peel it off and wear it to avoid sunburn

beechstreet
06-17-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by MyBlkSI
did any of you guys with the CF hood notice a change in the sound since you don't have the insulation?

nope

!@#$%
06-17-2004, 09:27 PM
it acts as a fire blanket if a small fire starts under the hood.

the fire melts the plastic caps and it falls down to smother the flame.

VividDreams
06-18-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by !@#$%
it acts as a fire blanket if a small fire starts under the hood.

the fire melts the plastic caps and it falls down to smother the flame.

he is absolutely right, my dealer told me that, my dad's ford dealer told him that, and my aunt and uncles ford dealer told them that too.

makes sense...