PDA

View Full Version : at a focus website...

kenscivic
06-20-2004, 12:48 PM
hey im half tempted to trade my car * 03 civic si* in for a 2002 focus svt cause it would lower my payments a good chunk so im researching the focus svt and i went to a forum and they hate the si , and at first i got kinda upset maybe teared up like a school girl for a second but anyway what do you all think if i can lower my car payment by about 60$ a month .

EtherGhost
06-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Focus SVT with Euro package is a nice car. The guy who has the fastest autocross PAX times locally drives an SVT. He had an Evo for a month, but decided he couldn't handle the $350 per month (PER MONTH!) insurance, and he's a ~40 year old guy. He wanted an Si, but no Honda dealers wanted to give him a good price on the trade in. I don't see why they wouldn't, seeing as how the Si's aren't really moving anyways. Oh well.

Anyways, I say go for it if you really want to get rid of your Si, but sad to see a defector :'(

bobdobbs
06-20-2004, 01:12 PM
There's nothing wrong with selling your car to get something else. Life's too short to be married to a car. If I could sell my car every year and get a new one, I would. Well, maybe not my EP because I know I would miss it. ;)

Just remember: Ford reliability isn't anywhere near Honda's. If you're going to trade a in your EP for a year-older SVT Focus, you will likely have more problems. If that's acceptable to you, go for it.

beechstreet
06-20-2004, 03:48 PM
so im researching the focus svt and i went to a forum and they hate the si , and at first i got kinda upset maybe teared up like a school girl for a second

they hate the Si because the Si is a better overall car :D

if its gonna help you financially, then go for it. Like bobdobbs said, just know that ford vehicles have A LOT of problems. I owned a Ford, engine blew up, 'nuff said. :cool:

kenscivic
06-20-2004, 04:13 PM
its not that i want to get rid of the car its just id like a lower payment , i love my si its just alot of money yah know?

fox
06-20-2004, 04:17 PM
I had a friend that had a focus. He had so many problems with that car. It was in the shop about once a month for something. You just need to factor in any repair costs into the monthly budget. Just my two cents.

kenscivic
06-20-2004, 04:22 PM
yah i was thinkign that but nowadays i drive roughly 500 miles a month. and i dont think even a ford can break down on that strain lol if it does , damn ford!!! but there was a pretty 1968 ford mustang with a 289 in it for 3 g on the lot that would drop my payment alot hehehehe the only problem is its cosmetics , engine just got rebuilt lol but nah to many mustangs roaming around these days

GatorBait.
06-20-2004, 05:13 PM
I'd go for it. I think they are great cars actually.

audomatik
06-20-2004, 06:37 PM
I was considering the SVT Focus when I was looking for cars. My grandpa got a 5 door. They are freakin cool cars. Def not as reliable as a Honda but an all around cool car. Good luck on whatever you do.

siver-SI
06-20-2004, 06:48 PM
There's nothing wrong with selling your car to get something else. Life's too short to be married to a car. If I could sell my car every year and get a new one, I would. Well, maybe not my EP because I know I would miss it. ;)

Just remember: Ford reliability isn't anywhere near Honda's. If you're going to trade a in your EP for a year-older SVT Focus, you will likely have more problems. If that's acceptable to you, go for it.

You are right there. The Focus is the number 1 recalled car in the history of cars. That was the #1 reason why I never went over and looked at it.

redronin22
06-20-2004, 06:55 PM
You can make a SI handle pretty damn good with just a better set of tires/springs and a sway bar.

as for the extra 10 hp hondata and a cai will cure that problem. voila. you have a better looking car that is more reliable and imo looks much better.

kenscivic
06-20-2004, 08:09 PM
You can make a SI handle pretty damn good with just a better set of tires/springs and a sway bar.

as for the extra 10 hp hondata and a cai will cure that problem. voila. you have a better looking car that is more reliable and imo looks much better.

i agree with you totally on all of that , i think just slap on a cai the si could take the focus svt and on the part that the si looks better i agree the si is a god among cars *looks wise i think* but if i did this it'd be 100% cause of money issues.

Mickey
06-20-2004, 08:51 PM
i agree with you totally on all of that , i think just slap on a cai the si could take the focus svt and on the part that the si looks better i agree the si is a god among cars *looks wise i think* but if i did this it'd be 100% cause of money issues.

You are right. Do what you have to do. Besides what is important is you can lower your payment. After a few months when you become financially stable maybe then you can get a car that you want. As the saying goes
"Do not work for your car, Let your car work for you" :)

seattlecivic
06-20-2004, 08:57 PM
ephatch... ep's... we love ep's :cool:

evilep3
06-20-2004, 09:26 PM
my friend just bought an SVT... they are ok but i am willing to pay the extra for the ep till i can get ahold of something AWD and turbo'd... :)

blueiedgod
06-21-2004, 05:24 AM
hey im half tempted to trade my car * 03 civic si* in for a 2002 focus svt cause it would lower my payments a good chunk so im researching the focus svt and i went to a forum and they hate the si , and at first i got kinda upset maybe teared up like a school girl for a second but anyway what do you all think if i can lower my car payment by about 60$ a month .
If you think you will save $60/month, you may be in for a surprize. You wil have to come up with a downpayment to cover the difference from what your car is worth to what they will give you on trade. Take the amount of downpayment they want from you and divide by the lengh of the finance contract and see what you are really going to be saving. If you have that money ($3000) sitting in the bank, just pay it to Honda (or whoever you financed with) and it will lower your monthly payments by more than $60/month.

tjtripp
06-21-2004, 07:33 AM
I've seen a couple and I think the SVT looks real nice. I'm a little suspicious about the reliability but I do know the in Cali, the insurance on the Ford is WAY cheaper, even for the SVT. Plus the focus has been out for awhile so they should be better by now. I had a friend how had on of the early ones, and it had tons of problems. He ended up giving it back (lemon law) and it caught on fire when he was at the dealership turning it in.

I read that the motor isn't nearly as smooth, but at least it has a 6 speed.

freidaddy
06-21-2004, 08:50 AM
I rather have my ep than a focus.

HondCivc91
06-21-2004, 09:28 AM
yah i was thinkign that but nowadays i drive roughly 500 miles a month. and i dont think even a ford can break down on that strain lol if it does , damn ford!!! but there was a pretty 1968 ford mustang with a 289 in it for 3 g on the lot that would drop my payment alot hehehehe the only problem is its cosmetics , engine just got rebuilt lol but nah to many mustangs roaming around these days

damn, 500 a month? That's nothing compared to me .. I'm hitting almost 300 per week. a few hundred clicks away from 200k miles on the odometer and my civic is still running strong. How's that for an example of Honda reliability? :)

stephen
06-21-2004, 09:35 AM
Get the SVT Focus. Stock for stock, it's much more fun.

kenscivic
06-21-2004, 09:42 AM
i have enoguh for ttt so about 1600$ and being about 4k upside down on my si *and im leasing cause i was so far upside down* so in order to re finance it i'd have to get it for 18 k plus pay ttt so my payments would be for 5 years about 320$ for 4 years around 400 but if i were to get the focus svt for 5 years it'd achually be about 220 , for 4 years it'd be about 280 or somewhere around thereso i could realisticly have a car paid off in 4 years and be in no financial strain , it dosnt seem like a lot but im poor and when i turned 18 i was being silly so i got my dream car lol now i know its best to have a good job before you get a new car, and abouut the 500 miles a month i used to drive 50 miles to school and 50 miles home , so 100 miles a day 5 days a week i used to go 500 miles a week not including all my just driving yah know? and if i were to refinance my si i would be paying ttt a 2nd time and that'd be gay.

EvilSlvRCiViC
06-21-2004, 09:51 AM
My girlfriends dad works for ford. He tells me that ford cars are garabge and that the focus is the biggest peice of junk he has ever had to deal with - he has worked for ford a long time so he would def know a thing or 2 about Ford.

Stick with the EP!!

seattlecivic
06-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Guys, don't forget about the resale values. Our EP's will still be over the SVT. :-) That is another department that is overlooked when buying a car...

blueiedgod
06-21-2004, 04:05 PM
i have enoguh for ttt so about 1600$ and being about 4k upside down on my si *and im leasing cause i was so far upside down* so in order to re finance it i'd have to get it for 18 k plus pay ttt so my payments would be for 5 years about 320$ for 4 years around 400 but if i were to get the focus svt for 5 years it'd achually be about 220 , for 4 years it'd be about 280 or somewhere around thereso i could realisticly have a car paid off in 4 years and be in no financial strain , it dosnt seem like a lot but im poor and when i turned 18 i was being silly so i got my dream car lol now i know its best to have a good job before you get a new car, and abouut the 500 miles a month i used to drive 50 miles to school and 50 miles home , so 100 miles a day 5 days a week i used to go 500 miles a week not including all my just driving yah know? and if i were to refinance my si i would be paying ttt a 2nd time and that'd be gay.
This is what I understood from the incoherent post:
You are leasing your Civic Si, you are upside down $4000 from the previous car. Your current buy out for the lease is $18,000, and you only have $1600 to play with. You have been qouted 2002 SVT for $220/month for 60 months. You drive about 30,000 miles a year.

I'd say since you have made financial mistakes in the past you should ride out this lease. Since you leased, it means you will owe the remainder of the paymnets. You also say that you have $1600 to put down, that is not enough! To get the SVT for $220 for 60 months the selling price should be $13200 and 0% interest, unless you are talking baout a 60 month lease on a used car, which is a suicide!
You should have rode out the first car that have put you upside down before getting the Si. Unfortunately you are not alone out there with horrable financial outlook. People these days are monthly payment shoppers, rather than seeing the whole picture.

the giant ep3
06-21-2004, 04:30 PM
i just pm'd you. sounds like you are not going to come close to improving your situation by going with the svt. not only are you rolling your inequity over you are rolling ttl into financing(even with 1600 down). how much will the svt be worth after all those miles and how much trouble will it cause and cost you? $60 a month is $2 a day, so change some small things in your habits and keep your ep3. ride it out till you are back to square one.you shouldn't have to pay ttl for refying and unfortunately sending in money towards the loan will not make your payments lower, just shorten the term of payments, my .02

redronin22
06-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Get the SVT Focus. Stock for stock, it's much more fun.

whos gonna leave it stock though...

portugeetex
06-21-2004, 09:09 PM
i do 500 in a week lol

dj addicted
06-21-2004, 10:28 PM
I say go for it.. if it will help you out financially and you like the car.. go for it.

I do want to say one thing though... I think its funny how this guy is thinking of a fuckus (I mean focus) and people are supporting him.. but all those people who traded their EP in on an SRT-4 got slammed hard for it!!! Just my simple observation which I find kinda funny. Dobbs said it good about not being married to your car...its not like its going to get mad you are looking at other cars to drive.

ep3_civic_si
06-21-2004, 10:56 PM
from my expierience the payment will be cheaper but with the problems FORD has it wont be so cheap...my friend HAD a 2000 Ford F150 truck and that damn thing broke down in a year with 80,xxx<---suthing miles on it and we could figure what the hell...first they said it was the radiator, my friend got it fixed and two weeks later it over heated. Then they said it was the head gasket, got that replaced 3 months later and now the car doesn't even run at all. it wont even start :sadm: but hey if its more convient for u then i say go for it but just be prepared for alot of trouble with Ford.

p.s. like the saying goes FORD=Fix Or Repair Daily. :tongue:

Sleeper
06-21-2004, 11:32 PM
p.s. like the saying goes FORD=Fix Or Repair Daily. :tongue:

Personally I prefer the saying FORD = Fucking Owners Really Dumd.
Or the old favorite, Found On the Road Dead.
But that's just me, I would never buy a ford! :sadm:
Don't do it Man.

bobdobbs
06-21-2004, 11:50 PM
My fave: For Obese Retarded Drivers
:D

gabe_
06-22-2004, 07:44 AM
I looked at one before purchasing my EP. In the end I chose the EP because I have been tuning Hondas for years, and the EP seems to have much more aftermarket potential. My breif research seemed to show that if you want to stay naturally aspirated (all motor #1) the SVT does not respond very well to mods.

The two cars are very similar... Here is a quality comparison courtesy of Road & Track:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/roadtests/pdf/2002_07_furious_data.pdf

Zero Three Si
06-22-2004, 08:12 AM
the way i look at it man, if you're hurting for money and it'll save you some cash then do it. Theres no shame in trying to get ahead financially.

Brettnyt
06-22-2004, 11:27 AM
I agree.... I would never buy ford reliability anyways.... I hear so many horror stories with fords.... it seems like they make a better car, but sacrifice quality in the process... Go with your heart tho

portugeetex
06-22-2004, 07:42 PM
F$cked over rebuilt dodge

Grookes
06-23-2004, 01:00 PM
The real question here is do you want to save money NOW, or save MORE money over the long-term. We all have our own financial hardships, so your answer should be answered by where you ultimately want your $$$ priorities.

I also recommend you go to the library and check out some Consumer Reports reviews. Ford's average reliability is far lower than Honda's. Statistically, your Ford will spend more time in the shop than your Honda.

Personally, I think it would be a mistake to trade in. If you want a car that will reliably last beyond 100,000 miles, your better bet is to stick with Honda.

erimar77
06-23-2004, 01:58 PM
couldn't you just refinance your loan? I did...lowered my interest and dropped my payments $75

blueiedgod
06-23-2004, 03:12 PM
couldn't you just refinance your loan? I did...lowered my interest and dropped my payments $75
Did you end up refinancing for a longer term?
Example: you were financing for 60 months, and after a year you refinanced for another 60 months. In the end you end up paying more than you would have by just paying off the first loan. If after a year you refinanced for 48 months and saved $75/month on payments, then you did well.

erimar77
06-24-2004, 04:01 PM
no, i originally financed for 60 months, after a year and a couple of months, I refinanced for 48 months. I may have picked up a payment or two, but overall it will be cheaper...and lower payments.