PDA

View Full Version : factory alarms vs aftermarket alarms

i-WERKS
10-28-2002, 09:41 AM
Just need some opinions regarding alarms.
I know that factory alarms use the Horn and personally, I think it's more difficult to disable vs an aftermarket alarm where the horn is the first thing you see when popping the hood and is easily disabled by chopping the wire.

Does anyone else have any pros and cons regarding alarms or recommendations. I don't want one that is easily disabled or cost me an arm and leg.

SiCivic2k2
10-28-2002, 01:30 PM
I don't think our cars come with alarms. Just keyless entry.

toe knee
10-28-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by i-WERKS
Just need some opinions regarding alarms.
I know that factory alarms use the Horn and personally, I think it's more difficult to disable vs an aftermarket alarm where the horn is the first thing you see when popping the hood and is easily disabled by chopping the wire.

Does anyone else have any pros and cons regarding alarms or recommendations. I don't want one that is easily disabled or cost me an arm and leg.

i have the clifford matrix rs2 autostart and it works very good. if they cut the horn the car is not able to start up because of the ignition kill even with my own key. On my alarm, once you pop the hood the pin activates the alarm which turns on the ignition kill. the factory keyless entry is good becuase the car can not be started without the transponder or chip on the key. kinda the same as ignition kill. but an advantage to my alarm is that i have autostart.

Spidey
10-28-2002, 10:42 PM
i have a compustar alarm. there are good and bad things about the aftermarket alarm.
bad:
1)i don't like the key fob, it's big & ugly
2)the key fob makes a lame sound to let you know that you can auto-start the car
after you shut off the ignition
good:
1)auto start (good for winter)
2)2 way freq. so i know if someone is messing with my car (might be too late once i get there though)

it's basically a toss up.

its raining
10-28-2002, 10:43 PM
how much did your alarm cost and where did you get it at? i see that your from houston, just curious. thanks

i-WERKS
10-29-2002, 08:10 AM
Is there anyway for you to install an aftermarket alarm and still keep the original honda key fob?

AkronSi
10-29-2002, 10:13 AM
How can you autostart with a manual? I thought you could only do that with an automatic since you have to have the clutch pressed to start?

Just wondering, because i would love to have that feature.

Silver2K2SI
10-29-2002, 12:08 PM
Honda does offer theft deturant. I have it, honda pays your deductable if your car is stolen with there system on it. Thats why I have it. :)

Burgh
10-29-2002, 04:25 PM
But the OEM alarm is $338 not including installation. Most aftermarket ones are much cheaper aren't they? But then again, there are horror stories about aftermarket alarm installs voiding electrical warranties and crap like that.

Si02
02-20-2003, 05:25 PM
OEM alarm 120.00. http://www.handaaccessories.com/civicsi.html

mrfixit687
02-20-2003, 05:41 PM
oem alarm = crap, my custom clifford setup rules

SerbiaSi
02-20-2003, 05:42 PM
You can do auto-start w/ manual trany however I do not recommend it especially if you are used to leaving the car in gear. I had a chance to witness someone

BlackFL2k2Si
02-20-2003, 06:02 PM
Wow Serbia...I think that would have to be one of the funniest things to see...someones car just bouncing off the wall cause of an autostart :D :D

Mugen_EP
02-20-2003, 06:26 PM
I think the Viper 550 is a really good alarm and it does have the remote start feature. It usually runs about $300 and as long as you dont leave your car in gear you'll be ok.

idrive
02-20-2003, 08:39 PM
honestly guys.. alarms wont stop them.. i dont care if you spend 5k on a full custom install hidden/digital/proximity/talking/laser whatever... if they want your car.. they will get it. who said they need to start it to tow it off? An alarm wont stop someone from jackin various parts of your car or items inside your car either. how many of you, personally, look to see when a car alarm near by goes off? i dont. i could care less if someone else's car was being jacked.

not to say an alarm is useless but its nothing to brag about. any simple alarm will do. Thats why its called a theft Deterant. nothing is theft proof... its cool to have an alarm that has cool fuctions like remote window control/folding mirrors/remote start etc.. but other than that... a simple one will do.

http://idrive.aeropixel.net/ep_sig.jpg

I-Vtec..DO-U (New name: SIxtacy)
02-20-2003, 11:19 PM
I have a Viper 600E. It is a full alarm and I added Window roll up/down, sunroof open/close. The DEI stuff tends to be the most reliable from my experience, and has alot of features for the $. Nice thing about the Viper600E that I have, is that I can add a DEI-551T. The 551T is a add on remote start module. So I will have the full alarm with the extra functions + remote start. The downside is you lose some of the features of a full blown remote start. Much like SERBIASI I saw a stick car go ape shit when it was remote started. It was outside a JUST TIRES and one of the workers went to get the car to start working on it, didn't know it had remote start. Long story short - the car ended up plowing over 2 people and 3 cars. So thats why I dicided to hold off on that, not because of me but because if anybody works on my car and I forget to put it in valey - I might be fucked. Laterz

- Jeffrey - :eek: