PDA

View Full Version : Bugs

portugeetex
06-20-2004, 09:08 PM
hey whats the best way to get bug guts off your car without elbow grease??? someone today told me to use baby oil??? anybody else heard of that????? im just sick of washing my car and not being able to get all the bugs off no matter how hard i try, even using my fingernails they wont come off.......... :confused:

i-vtec04si
06-20-2004, 09:16 PM
yea really i hate bugs!

skooba
06-20-2004, 09:18 PM
bug and tar remover

yeSIam04
06-21-2004, 10:55 AM
first of all, baby oil will do nothing but fade your paint and eventually eat away at your clearcoat, Best way to get bugs off, when you are washing your car (when it is already wet) , take an alkaline based all purpose cleaner, spray it on the area with bugs, and than let sit for about one minute, take a bug sponge, and gently scrub the front bumper to eaily eliminate dead bugs.

trust me, if i used baby oil on my clients cars, i'd be out of business :D

BSEVEER
06-21-2004, 11:16 AM
One thing I've done in the past to remove bugs was to lay wet towels on the bugged up area. This keeps the little suckers wet long enough to soften them up and then they wash off quite easily. You do need to have some extra time on your hands for this method. :shadesm:

Oshkosh
06-21-2004, 12:23 PM
I know that dean (02civicSi) used this liquid called "Goo Gone" on my ride, s*it just came off. works like a charm.

portugeetex
06-21-2004, 07:33 PM
I know that dean (02civicSi) used this liquid called "Goo Gone" on my ride, s*it just came off. works like a charm.

i used goo gone to take off my back emblem to put the red one on, and i noticed that when i was using a normal bounty paper towel that it kinda scratched the paint and took some off, but i wasnt worried seeing as how it would be covered up anyways, so im kind of weary to use that to get bugs off. anybody else try that b4 without paint problems??????

first of all, baby oil will do nothing but fade your paint and eventually eat away at your clearcoat, Best way to get bugs off, when you are washing your car (when it is already wet) , take an alkaline based all purpose cleaner, spray it on the area with bugs, and than let sit for about one minute, take a bug sponge, and gently scrub the front bumper to eaily eliminate dead bugs.

trust me, if i used baby oil on my clients cars, i'd be out of business. ummm whats a bug sponge ive never heard of that, and can i get it at autozone??

Peking
06-21-2004, 07:55 PM
I just say it happens, and just to wash often and wax well on the front of the ride FO SHO :tongue:

portugeetex
06-21-2004, 09:22 PM
heh this post just reminded me of a old pearl jam song called BUGS lol anyone else heard it b4???????????

yeSIam04
06-28-2004, 12:58 AM
i used goo gone to take off my back emblem to put the red one on, and i noticed that when i was using a normal bounty paper towel that it kinda scratched the paint and took some off, but i wasnt worried seeing as how it would be covered up anyways, so im kind of weary to use that to get bugs off. anybody else try that b4 without paint problems??????

ummm whats a bug sponge ive never heard of that, and can i get it at autozone??

Yeah, you actually can, it looks like a yellow sponge wrapped in a net. :D

oogy-boogy
06-28-2004, 06:16 AM
Sup Zach....

Preventative maintainance is actually the best method. I usually put an extra 2-3 coats of wax on my headlights (yup, you can wax them), bumper and hood. Most of the time, I can hjust spray off all the bugs. What little remnnants remain I take off with my regual washing mit (no scrubbing needed :) ). Once I have to pull out the "bug" sponge, I know it's time to wax again. The sponges work well but don't scrub too hard :).

Jpax
06-28-2004, 08:01 AM
I agree Preventative maintainance is the only way to easly remove those bugs. In the summer months, traveling to the east side of WA, the mountain pass gets think with bugs, and going 80 mph you tend to pick up alot of them. So now before i go I try and atleast get a coat of wax on the front of the car. this not only will help in the long run with road tar. but help take off the bugs as well.

Anyone tried the new nano wax ?i bought a bottle and so far its seams to be dong a good job.
http://www.eagleone.com/images/2081616.jpg

oogy-boogy
06-28-2004, 08:09 AM
I agree Preventative maintainance is the only way to easly remove those bugs. In the summer months, traveling to the east side of WA, the mountain pass gets think with bugs, and going 80 mph you tend to pick up alot of them. So now before i go I try and atleast get a coat of wax on the front of the car. this not only will help in the long run with road tar. but help take off the bugs as well.

Anyone tried the new nano wax ?i bought a bottle and so far its seams to be dong a good job.
http://www.eagleone.com/images/2081616.jpg

I'm stuck on my Meguiars #26 Carnuba :). Been using it for years and afraid to change.... :sadm:

portugeetex
06-28-2004, 07:43 PM
I'm stuck on my Meguiars #26 Carnuba :). Been using it for years and afraid to change.... :sadm:

hey mel change is a good think lol, try the NXT tech wax by meguiars, works awesome and its so easy to take off and smells like cherries lol, not that that matters

oogy-boogy
06-28-2004, 08:07 PM
I love their Pro-line though. The tan bottles rule :)

ShingosEP3
06-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Do any of you use any bug removal sprays/wipes? I know meguiars, mothers, turtle wax, etc. all make various products for this application but I notice none of you have mentioned them yet. I've personally never used them but I have always been curious and am wondering why none of you said anything about them? Is this because of clearcoat damage? That has been a concern of mine because any thing abrasive enough to eat dried bugs off my paint can't be very good for the paint itself I would assme.

portugeetex
06-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Do any of you use any bug removal sprays/wipes? I know meguiars, mothers, turtle wax, etc. all make various products for this application but I notice none of you have mentioned them yet. I've personally never used them but I have always been curious and am wondering why none of you said anything about them? Is this because of clearcoat damage? That has been a concern of mine because any thing abrasive enough to eat dried bugs off my paint can't be very good for the paint itself I would assme.

well i bought one the other day, its by turtle wax, and said it was clear coat safe, but it didnt get the bugs off. sucks too cuz i think the only way to get em off would be to wetsand it but i dunno
any ideas anybody?????

oogy-boogy
06-28-2004, 10:30 PM
well i bought one the other day, its by turtle wax, and said it was clear coat safe, but it didnt get the bugs off. sucks too cuz i think the only way to get em off would be to wetsand it but i dunno
any ideas anybody?????

Try Dawn dish detergant and a sponge in that one area. Make sure you re-wax where ever it's used as it will completely strip the wax off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Makross
06-29-2004, 06:49 AM
try the meguiars bug and tar remover wipes it works leaves a clean shine also :p

ShingosEP3
06-29-2004, 08:17 AM
the meguiars wipes actually work huh? I would've bought those if I actually saw them in a store just because I generally trust the brand but I've only heard about them from their online store. Looks like I'll have to break down and place an order there.

Btrthnezr3
06-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Just a tip for the "goo gone" users of the universe. I have found that the best technique when using this product is to just spray on and rub with your fingers and to not use a towel or paper product of any kind. This eliminates scratches and works much better. After you have removed the sticky or bugs in this case you can then wash and dry as normal ;)
Hope this helps someone!!
Also, spray alot...use alot, don't be afraid to waste, it needs to be very very saturated in the area for it to work well!