PDA

View Full Version : Aem Cai

02TafWhtSi
06-13-2002, 06:47 PM
Where exactly does the filter sit in the Si for the AEM CAI? Does it sit low enough to possibly catch water?

xlr8
06-13-2002, 07:42 PM
its pretty high i think it will be alright. it looked that way when i installed it

DownTheHatch
06-14-2002, 08:30 AM
It's about 2 inches higher than the bottom of the bumper and is firmly secured by a bolt, and is covered by a plastic guard on the bottom, not to mention that its on the left-hand side of the car now, so puddles are less common towards the middle of the road.

HondaCivicSi
06-14-2002, 11:29 AM
Could anyone feel a noticable HP gain with the AEM CAI? Mine should be coming in a couple days and I can't wait to put it on and see what it sounds like.

Idonthaveahatch
06-14-2002, 12:28 PM
I felt HP gain in Xlr8s ride, and it sounds much much better now.

xlr8
06-14-2002, 02:16 PM
i think it sounds just like my friends b16 with a cold air now. it was worth the money for the sound alone

Pradamuimui
06-16-2002, 04:30 PM
I wouldnt worry about sucking up any water...only if you are planning on driving through a river...the new intake is in a perfect position, but that doesnt mean that you should just drive blindly and not excercise CAUTION!!! Just dotn drive through deep puddles or anything like that, because even though it is very unlikely that it could happen, it also could so just be careful!!!

CleanBlackSi02
06-16-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Pradamuimui
I wouldnt worry about sucking up any water...only if you are planning on driving through a river...the new intake is in a perfect position, but that doesnt mean that you should just drive blindly and not excercise CAUTION!!! Just dotn drive through deep puddles or anything like that, because even though it is very unlikely that it could happen, it also could so just be careful!!!

In South Florida it's pretty hard to avoid major puddles. I guess once I see the placement for myself on the CAI I can be decisive.

SilverArrow
06-17-2002, 03:05 PM
I installed a Blue AEM Cai on my Si. First of all, all the space left open is just crazy and the sound it makes is awesome. I toatally noticed a HP gain and it was definatly worth the money!

SBC31
06-17-2002, 06:27 PM
Two questions for this thread:

1. For those of you with a CAI, where did you get it from, if online do you have a link to the exact intake, oh, and do you have a picture of your intake installed.
------------------------
2. Anyone seen this CAI from Injen, it seems to fit nicely and doesn't go under the battery or what not.
http://members.rogers.com/sbc31/0000civel_0.jpg
------------------------

Thanks in advance

xlr8
06-17-2002, 06:30 PM
i got mine from tornactive(thats admin on this site) was the best price i found. tornactive.com. give them a call they will hook you up

CleanBlackSi02
06-17-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by SBC31
Two questions for this thread:

1. For those of you with a CAI, where did you get it from, if online do you have a link to the exact intake, oh, and do you have a picture of your intake installed.
------------------------
2. Anyone seen this CAI from Injen, it seems to fit nicely and doesn't go under the battery or what not.
http://members.rogers.com/sbc31/0000civel_0.jpg
------------------------

Thanks in advance

Is it just me or is that a short ram intake?

xlr8
06-17-2002, 06:41 PM
yeah, but it has a heat sheild on the filter, so injen calls it a cold air

HondaCivicSi
06-17-2002, 08:53 PM
I just put my AEM CAI on today. The installation went pretty well, except for the pathetic pictures in the installation instructions. It sounds really sweet. Did anyone cut the black plastic in the fender well? When you go to put it back on, you have to like bend it around the intake tube. It was a little challenging getting it back on. Oh well. All in all I would say it was worth the money. It seem to have better throttle respense and it pulls a little harder in the higher rpm range. I like tapping the gas so it make the sucking noise. It also makes a hissing noise when you shut the car off. I like it.

CleanBlackSi02
06-17-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by HondaCivicSi
I just put my AEM CAI on today. The installation went pretty well, except for the pathetic pictures in the installation instructions. It sounds really sweet. Did anyone cut the black plastic in the fender well? When you go to put it back on, you have to like bend it around the intake tube. It was a little challenging getting it back on. Oh well. All in all I would say it was worth the money. It seem to have better throttle respense and it pulls a little harder in the higher rpm range. I like tapping the gas so it make the sucking noise. It also makes a hissing noise when you shut the car off. I like it.

I've heard nothing but great things about AEM CAI. As soon as I get my Thermal exhaust in, that'll probably be next. :D

CleanBlackSi02
06-17-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by xlr8
yeah, but it has a heat sheild on the filter, so injen calls it a cold air

Ah, I see I see. I was under the impression that for it to be cold air it had to be out of the engine compartment...

fishboy
06-18-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by HondaCivicSi
Did anyone cut the black plastic in the fender well? When you go to put it back on, you have to like bend it around the intake tube.

yes, i cut the plastic. you can see a little bit of it if you look down there. but yeah, i love it man. i'm surprised not everybody got this intake for it already. this was the first thing i got for my car. and after seeing the injen model im glad i got the AEM one. looks short ram to me.

xlr8
06-18-2002, 04:37 PM
yeah it does look like a short ram, but it makes more hp on an rsx then the aem cold air. i had to cut a 1"x3" section out of the wheel well liner, but it was just part that overlapped another part of the liner. yeah fishboy you are right everyone should get this intake, but i stand by my first mod h&r springs

SilverArrow
06-18-2002, 05:10 PM
That Injen Cai doesn't really look like it works like a real Cai. I did the AEM Cai. It sounds great, great response, and it was well worth the $$. I did not cut my wheel well. Just did some bending. It works. I got my AEM Cai from a Honda Dealership by my work. I got it for 200+tax. I think it was a great deal. My opinion on the Injen is that it doesn't look like it works like a Cold Air Intake but I haven't driven one with it so I really can't disrespect it. I still say AEM ALL THE WAY!

Busta J
06-18-2002, 07:11 PM
Just wondering... What are you guys using to cut this material out with? And about how much material is actually cut out??

Right now I'm in the "considering" phase of getting one of these. My biggest concern is inhaling water. It really scares me because this will be my only means of transportation for the next couple of years. And I literally can't afford for any major repairs to the engine due to water. Oh yeah, one more question, the CAI won't void my warranty will it?

Thanks for any help!

xlr8
06-18-2002, 07:16 PM
i used a pocket knife. according to my dealer it wouldnt void my warranty, but call your dealer first. they may want to install it to not void the warranty. i wouldnt worry about sucking water, this cold air is much higher then most ive seen for older hondas

2002Si
06-23-2002, 12:09 PM
I'm just curious if anyone has pics of the Injen intake where it goes behind the engine and the Heat Shield? Mine is on the way, I would just like to see what it looks like before I put it on. Thanks!!:D

SiCivic2k2
06-23-2002, 03:17 PM
I don't see how an injen intake can be considered CAI (cold air intake) It's sucking in hot air in the engine bay. It should be called HAI. :D

DownTheHatch
06-23-2002, 04:04 PM
I didn't cut it because you can see it if you cut in in the wheel well, I just let it bend around the tube.

DownTheHatch
06-23-2002, 04:05 PM
If you want to see pics of the intake installed, go to the news page and on the right hand side, click on How-To's - AEM Cold Air Intake

2002Si
06-23-2002, 04:08 PM
It's not an AEM though, they are (2) different installations!

2002Si
06-24-2002, 11:25 AM
I need pics of the cold air intake that Injen makes, preferably where it goes behind the engine and where the heat shield is. Everytime one of you guys put one on here it is a short ram.

CleanBlackSi02
06-25-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by 2002Si
I need pics of the cold air intake that Injen makes, preferably where it goes behind the engine and where the heat shield is. Everytime one of you guys put one on here it is a short ram.

Apparently that is the Injen cold air.....

2002Si
06-25-2002, 12:56 PM
If you'll go to NOPI online you'll see what I'm talking about. That thing is long as hell and it looks like it goes behind the engine.

2002Si
07-01-2002, 09:05 AM
The cold air intake from injen is OUT!!! If you want to see it it is on NOPI. The intake that you've been seeing IS a short ram!!!! The cold air intake from Injen gives you 7-8 Hp to the wheels and is installed almost the exact same as the AEM CAI. The Injen is only $189.00 plus shipping it is $209.00. The dyno test is on the Injen website but the matrix and the Si are backwards so to see the Si Dyno test click on the matrix. Look on the next page for the Pic!!!!!:D

2002Si
07-01-2002, 09:12 AM
here it is!!

SiCivic2k2
07-01-2002, 09:42 AM
Sweet! Thanks for the info.

SiCivic2k2
07-01-2002, 09:45 AM
I wonder why the tube style intake is more expensice than the cold air intake?

2002Si
07-01-2002, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I was wonderiing the same thing. It seems that it would be the other way around huh?:rolleyes:

SiCivic2k2
07-01-2002, 10:32 AM
Yep, but it's definately a little cheaper than the AEM.

2002Si
07-01-2002, 10:37 AM
It's supposed to give more Hp Too

SiCivic2k2
07-01-2002, 10:39 AM
Cool. If anyone gets one of these post some pics and how it feels and sounds.

2002Si
07-01-2002, 10:54 AM
I ordered mine last week, and should be getting it in this week, and when I get it I'll post em'.

SiCivic2k2
07-01-2002, 02:07 PM
I'm suprised you understood that. I just read it and I couldn't even understand it. I have my moments when I can't type. Sorry. :)

DynaSpeed
07-01-2002, 03:15 PM
Get this... I just walked into my local tuner shop and layed out a shopping list. I told him,"alright, tell me the difference in price between the Injen CAI (not the stupid one behind the heat shield Short Ram) and the AEM... also the price difference between H&R's and GC's... Oh, and throw in the Thermal Cat-back". I browse for a few minutes while he's on the phone... waiting... ok, he's got info... "I'm sorry sir, we can't get any of the things you asked for. I was just on the phone with Ground Control directly, and they say that they don't supply any coil-overs for your vehicle yet. AEM says that they are making it, but you can't get it yet, and when it comes out it should be around $300. Oh, and we don't carry Thermal, so the best we can do is make you a custom piece".

Hmmm... well, that's interesting.

xlr8
07-01-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
Get this... I just walked into my local tuner shop and layed out a shopping list. I told him,"alright, tell me the difference in price between the Injen CAI (not the stupid one behind the heat shield Short Ram) and the AEM... also the price difference between H&R's and GC's... Oh, and throw in the Thermal Cat-back". I browse for a few minutes while he's on the phone... waiting... ok, he's got info... "I'm sorry sir, we can't get any of the things you asked for. I was just on the phone with Ground Control directly, and they say that they don't supply any coil-overs for your vehicle yet. AEM says that they are making it, but you can't get it yet, and when it comes out it should be around $300. Oh, and we don't carry Thermal, so the best we can do is make you a custom piece".

Hmmm... well, that's interesting.
thats pretty funny because aem has the dyno numbers for that intake on their site. and i have it in my car

DynaSpeed
07-01-2002, 03:50 PM
aem has the dyno numbers for that intake on their site. and i have it in my car
i know!! (...*Crystal Ball*... ~ I see high shipping costs in your near future)...

2002Si
07-03-2002, 04:39 AM
Wooooooooooooooo, you guys have no idea what you are missing out on. I got mine last night "Injen CAI" and the sound makes the hair stand up o the back of your neck, expecially when 5K rolls around!!!!!!! Buy an INJEN. I'll have pics on this afternoon or in the mourning. The only bad thing about the CAI is that you have to move your fuse box, but injen gives you a new bracket that mounts on the mastercylinder and you have to take a grrinder and cut a half inch off of the little hole that goes to your drivers side front fender behind the headlight assembly. Dude it took me like 1.5 hrs. but when I drove it the first time, I almost shit on myself. Just the sound alome has already paid for my INJEN CAI. Man the fricking torque!!!!!:D :D :D

xlr8
07-03-2002, 08:07 AM
thats what i thought of the aem cai it didnt realy have to mess with brackets or anything, but it was a pain in the butt. i thought after driving it was worth the time and money purely for the sound the extra power was just icing on the cake.

2002Si
07-03-2002, 08:18 AM
yup congrats!:)

SiCivic2k2
07-03-2002, 11:06 AM
Definately have to get pics of it on here. How much did you pay for the INJEN cai? Did you get it from NOPI.com?

2002Si
07-03-2002, 11:11 AM
$189.00+shipping=$209.00 and yep, the only place that I know to get it from is NOPI, The part number is 948+4878

SiCivic2k2
07-03-2002, 11:24 AM
If anyone can get a sound clip of the INJEN or AEM cai intakes on here, that would be great. :D

2002Si
07-03-2002, 11:33 AM
I don't know about a sound clip but it's a really DEEP sound! You know how the GSR Integra's sound w/ a CAI, well the Si is not quite as loud but the sound from the Si echo's inside the car and I mean it's DEEP.(Throaty):eek:

tool
12-07-2003, 12:17 AM
sound clip please

SHAKEnBAKE
12-07-2003, 07:21 AM
Wow, this thread has risen from dead!! Somebody actually uses the search button.

Anyways I don't think you really need a sound clip , because everybody I know who bought it have no probs with the sound. The reason is, for those who like aggresive sound loves it cause it sounds so at higher rpms or full throttle, and for those who don't will be glad to find out that it's quiet during regular driving (almost stock).