PDA

View Full Version : my car was puttering??? and backfiring??

team ERA 5
06-21-2004, 02:23 PM
OKAY...i was teaching my girlfriend how to drive stick and shes pretty rusty so i gave her a couple of chances at it...the first time she stalled the second time she almost stalled but it started up again after i yelled at her "step on the clutch!!!" so anyways, after it almost stalled it started puttering and i looked at my exhaust and it was shaking like crazy and sounded like it backfiring? i turned off the car and started it back up and it was gone?? what was that? if anyone knows?? im not a engine guru so yea go figure? im thinking it sensed as if it was dead and cut the fuel off ??? haha i have no idea what im talking about?

CivilEngSI
06-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Thats called rolling in 1st gear at 2 mph while holding the brake lol! Of course its gonna sputter and quit. It means your rolling at less than what the car idles at. Which causes it to sputter. Nothing should be wrong except for a smelly clutch. :D

SubliminalSi
06-21-2004, 02:42 PM
I was trying to teach my friend to drive stick once and the same type of thing happened. I was pretty worried but I havent had any problems with it. I dont think youll need to worry

team ERA 5
06-21-2004, 05:03 PM
Thats called rolling in 1st gear at 2 mph while holding the brake lol! Of course its gonna sputter and quit. It means your rolling at less than what the car idles at. Which causes it to sputter. Nothing should be wrong except for a smelly clutch. :D

no the car wasnt rolling it was in neutral at a full stop...it was puttering hardcore and backfiring?? and she wasnt riding the clutch...sounded like an old school bug!

NemesisITR
06-21-2004, 06:09 PM
Maybe she flooded it.