PDA

View Full Version : Clunking Noise

dc1972
06-22-2004, 09:26 AM
I had my car lowered a few months ago. Now all of a sudden I am hearing this clunking/clanking noise coming from my front passanger side. It does it when the car is stopped or moving very slowly, and it only does it when I turn the wheel to the left. I am lower on Tein springs, and everything else is stock. Can anyone help please.

raiyo
06-22-2004, 09:30 AM
hahahha, you're bucked dude. j/k.

i have the same problem as you. when you installed the tein springs, u should had greased it up a bit. anyhow....no need for that now. buy a can of wd40 if u dont have any and spray.........the spring area. spray upwards towards the top of the strut mount. REMEMBER spray from the wheel gap/spring area, not the strut mount bolt area. Jack up the car, it'll give you more clearance to spray. How long and how much should you spray? I say.....the more the better? If it drips to the floor, then you're set, heheh. BTW spray both sides, WD40 doesn't cost that much.

After you do so, the sound will be gone, or close to gone. Last time I sprayed mine was..... a few months ago, the sound......what sound? :D You just gotta reapply now and then. Most of the time, after hard showers/rain. Try to reapply with every oil change.

dc1972
06-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Cool thanks man, I'll have to do that when I get home tonight. Thanks for the quick reply again.

raiyo
06-22-2004, 09:38 AM
np, glad to help.

esmith13
06-22-2004, 09:39 AM
I have the same sound and mine turned out to be a blown front lower A-arm bushing on the passenger side.... Still waiting on majestic honda to ship my new ones.....

Eric

dc1972
06-22-2004, 09:45 AM
Oh...how can you tell if it is blown? I'm gonna take my wheel off tonight and grease it up, so if its something that is in plain site let me know. I'm not to car literate lol. Thanks

esmith13
06-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Go to this pic on majestic honda...
CLICK ME (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Civic&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=3DR+SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=KNUCKLE)

it's item #11. you can see it with the wheel turned all the way but it's easier if the tire is off the car. The bushing is about hockey puck sized. you HAVE to jack up that corner and let the arm/rotor assembly free hang down to expose the bushing enough to see if it's torn.

good luck...

Eric

dc1972
06-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks man, I'll check that out tonight. I'll report back tomorrow on it.

SoCaLep3
06-22-2004, 11:01 AM
i think mine might be blown too, will this cause any other problem in the future if it is not fixed? and is that part suposed to be flat, cus mine is kinda twisted, ill get pix later gota go to school

esmith13
06-22-2004, 11:59 AM
should be pretty flat. If my bushings show up tomorrow in the mail i'll take pics of the new ones.

As far as OTHER problems caused by driving with bad a-arm bushings the only thing i know of is loose steering (only noticible when you finally tighten it back up) and you could damage the a-arm driving with blown bushings and the arm itself is ALOT more $$ to replace than the $8 bushing...

My mechanic told me it was ok to drive on it in the meantime, but NO racing. the harsh stop and go on it will damage the ball joint in there with no bushing to pad it - then i would need a new arm...

Mine is so bad now i hear a hollow pop or thud when i turn the wheel a full revolution while sitting still....

Eric

dc1972
06-23-2004, 09:16 AM
I took off my tire and lubed it up, sound is still there, but not so loud. Could really see the bushing to check if it was blown. Im gonna take a look again on the weekend when there is more sunlight. I'll keep ya posted.

aRz
06-23-2004, 09:19 AM
Sounds to me like an Axle :angelm: (driveshaft) check it out.

esmith13
06-23-2004, 10:05 AM
just got my new bushings in the mail today... if anyone needs pics of them, lemme know - they go on the car tomorrow....

They remind me of our motormounts when i think about it.....

Eric

03silverEP
06-23-2004, 02:06 PM
i had noise after i installed my sportlines, the prob. was the bolt on the top middle (actually on the shock shaft) was not tight. rem. to use a box wrench and hex to keep it from spinning, that will eat up a shock.

psylovibe
06-23-2004, 02:43 PM
I got my D2's installed like 2 weeks ago. When I was installing them my axle fell out of place and while i tried putting it back, the bushing fell out...we put it back in got everything in its place. But yea now im gettin a clunking noise as all of you.