PDA

View Full Version : JRSC and Thermostat

dustinhurley
06-23-2004, 11:58 PM
Blower is coming soon so I'm preparing. For cooling, I plan on using Hondata IMG and Spoon rad fan switch. I'm wondering about using an aftermarket thermostat, like Mugen. How do these thermostats keep the engine cooler? Are there any negative side effects? Do they work, and are they neccessary for a daily driven car with a JRSC? Thanks.

02SilverSiHB
06-24-2004, 02:59 PM
Don't bother with the thermostate...I did it on my last car, it doesn't help much if any. All it does is open sooner than the stock one making it cool the engine sooner than the stock one...that's all it does, so eventually it will be the same temp imo.

As for the spoon radiator fan switch, too each his own...these kind of things are for race cars imo...but do whatever you like.

stpkenton
06-24-2004, 04:32 PM
i read hear some where that the IMG from hondata will not work with the JRSC. can someone conferm this for him before he makes the same mistake? :angelm:

smilla0
06-24-2004, 04:36 PM
A lower temperature thermostat will allow more coolant to flow into the radiator rather than just being recirculated around your engine. If your radiator fan's electric thermostat is still set to a higher temperature, it won't kick in and the coolant going through the radiator might not get cold enough to cool the engine much more. In more extreme power levels, the stock radiator might not be adequate to expel the heat, but this shouldn't be a problem for your JRSC. Keep in mind, that this will probably cause you to lose power, because the colder cylinder walls and head will absorb the energy released by the combustion at a faster rate and cause a greater amount of unburned gases along the surface of the combustion chamber. On the plus side, you'll be able to use a lower octane fuel.

AFAIK, it is neither necessary nor recommended for a JRSC running stock boost. It might help a little if you start jacking up the boost, but I haven't seen anyone have any cooling problems with our engines. Remember, this is an all aluminum block, and aluminum transfers heat very well. Plus we have an open deck with a big water jacket which makes the cooling even better! I would not do this unless you were experiencing detonation due to hot spots on the cylinder walls and you're running the highest octane you're willing to use.

02SilverSiHB
06-24-2004, 04:46 PM
i read hear some where that the IMG from hondata will not work with the JRSC. can someone conferm this for him before he makes the same mistake? :angelm:
it will work, it has been done before by another owner...I believe his screen name is like JRSCEP3 or something like that.

esmith13
06-24-2004, 05:11 PM
If it makes you feel any better - at 10-11psi during consecutive runs and while dynoing for 2 straight hours, the water temp guage in my car never went above normal except once for like a min - then it went down when the fans kicked back in... And when it was at it's highest it was only half a tick higher than normal on the guage... During ACTUAL driving it has never budged from normal...

Although I feel in my cas an oil cooler may be good, that is not needed for a SC.

Eric

dustinhurley
06-24-2004, 05:22 PM
I want to do whatever I can to make my engine perform well after the JRSC. I've read before that one of the downsides to superchargers is they create a lot of heat after driving a while. I think I will still get the Hondata IMG. I'll probably skip the thermostat since it doesn't seem to help much, same with the fan switch.

02SilverSiHB
06-24-2004, 07:45 PM
I want to do whatever I can to make my engine perform well after the JRSC. I've read before that one of the downsides to superchargers is they create a lot of heat after driving a while. I think I will still get the Hondata IMG. I'll probably skip the thermostat since it doesn't seem to help much, same with the fan switch.
yeah, I noticed after a day of autocrossing in the hot texas heat, that the car felt slightly boggy when I left the autocross event.

Driving around hard in the corners, then shutting the car off between runs..didn't give the car much of a chance to cool down...so in these cases, something to cool the jrsc would be very helpfull, but with daily driving, even with getting on it, it's not affected that much. I guess the air flow from speeds above 60 help.

smilla0
06-24-2004, 08:39 PM
From what I understand, our engines already run pretty cool. Supposedly, that's why our engines can get away with using 5w20 oil.

Oh yeah, you can't really trust the factory temp gauge for small fluctuations. It's designed to stay in one spot. On older cars, the temp gauges used to jump around a lot as the cooling system cycled back and forth and people would get freaked out even though the temperature was still inside the indicated normal range. So as I understand, they now build the temp gauge with a big dead zone in the middle so that the needle will stay put during normal operation. Hopefully it will start moving if it really does start overheating, though!

One thing I noticed about my engine is that it makes a whiney gear-like noise when I rev about 3k when it's cold. It goes away when it's warm, but it persists for a minute or two even after the temp gauge has reached the middle, which it reaches pretty quickly. So I suspect the temp gauge has a pretty good sized dead zone.

myeverlovinsir
06-24-2004, 08:45 PM
it will work, it has been done before by another owner...I believe his screen name is like JRSCEP3 or something like that.

IMG fit on mine, a little tweeking but it fits. ;)

Hybrid Boost (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37925&page=1&pp=15)

CivicSiR
06-26-2004, 10:07 PM
IMG fit on mine, a little tweeking but it fits. ;)

Hybrid Boost (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37925&page=1&pp=15)

You're referring to Hondata's IMG, right (as opposed to the other one that's out that apparently is thicker)? You said it's a tight fit... is it really that bad getting it in there? Do you have dyno numbers? thanks :)

dustinhurley
06-26-2004, 10:20 PM
I just got Mugen thermostat, Mugen fan switch, and Hondata IMG all brand new for $160 shipped. I couldn't pass up the deal. I probably won't have the blower installed until a month from now, but I'll let everyone know how it runs.