PDA

View Full Version : valve clatter

grooveline
07-08-2002, 10:11 PM
anyone else getting valve clatter at idle?

Besides that, this engine is so smooth. I have to watch myself or when I look down I see 100.

2k2civicSi
07-08-2002, 10:18 PM
yes i have a bit at idle

DynaSpeed
07-09-2002, 06:24 AM
Lots... At least compared to many other cars.

SBC31
07-09-2002, 06:39 AM
Mine seems pretty quiet, however, my recent last car was a Focus ZX3 and that thing was noisy. Prior to that the only other car that had a bit of clatter was my 1987 CRX Si, but it was pretty minor.

JSIR
07-13-2002, 04:22 PM
I dont have any yet but you can expect some as the engine ages, you can tighten down the valve clearances to quiet it down though.

grooveline
07-13-2002, 04:26 PM
i WAS THINKING OF MAYBE UPGRADING TO A 5-30 OIL TO SEE IF THAT CHANGES ANYTHING.

JSIR
07-13-2002, 05:09 PM
I am running 5w-30 oil on my engine, you may want to try that and see if it makes any diff. , may help.

ghollett1
07-14-2002, 10:20 AM
Sometimes happens when climbing hills aroung 40 mph.

JSIR
07-14-2002, 12:58 PM
really that is strange, are you sure its not detonation that your hearing as it can occur when going up hills in low rpm situtations, valvetrain noise is most noticeable at idle.

ghollett1
07-14-2002, 07:11 PM
No, its happened under load going up inclines, you can depress the gas pedal and step on it again to get the same clatter. I always have the rpm's above 2000. Using 87 octane fuel.

JSIR
07-14-2002, 07:28 PM
that really sounds like pinging (light detonation) to me, if you can repeat it by pressing the throttle while going uphill. If this is in hot weather with air conditioning running it may just be possible. Detonation or pinging mostly occurs below around 3000 rpms or lower in such situations, but that is not totally accurate, just a generalization. I have not heard it on my car, but I run mostly premium fuel all the time (92 octane), sometimes 89 octane. Valve clatter can be easily heard at idle if your clearances were on the loose side, not so much while the rpms are raised and the car is running.

The other thing it could be is if you are running an aftermarket header or exhaust, sometimes aftermarket parts are noisier than the stock parts they replace and you can actually hear the exhaust gasses rushing out the header and exhaust at low throttle low rpms, I've heard that before as well.

SmoothOperator
07-14-2002, 08:07 PM
JSIR,
Are you getting your oil changes at our dealership? Also, when are you planning to do your first oil change? I'm at about 6500km and I'm thinking about doing it now.
Curious to see what the service guys will say when you ask to put in 5w30

JSIR
07-14-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator
JSIR,
Are you getting your oil changes at our dealership? Also, when are you planning to do your first oil change? I'm at about 6500km and I'm thinking about doing it now.
Curious to see what the service guys will say when you ask to put in 5w30

SmoothOperator, that is a good question. Just between me and you, I have changed my oil at 2500 kms myself to Castrol 5w-30 and I got rid of the initial fill oil. I suppose the service guys are going to give me a hard time when I ask them for 5w-30 oil, they are such idiots. I am talking about the service advisers, they know sweet dick shit, I hate talking to them about anything. I know more about Honda engines then all the service advisers combined at my dealership, I know where most of those guys are hired from , so I am not being cocky by saying that. The mechanics are cool though, just the service advisers that are idiots are my dealership. I suppose they will give you a very hard time about it. They'll probably threaten us with that warranty crap stuff. I am not sure how I will handle it yet, I always change my own oil for the most part. I think they call for the first change at 8000 kms, I will have two oil changes done by then.