PDA

View Full Version : JRSC owners..think your running rich? Might actually be running lean...

02SilverSiHB
06-24-2004, 03:06 PM
I had been getting bad gas mileage when driving the car hard with the jrsc. usually like 20mph in the city when I get on it a lot. I thought it was because I was running rich, seemed like it.

But when I went to check my plugs, I soon found that I was running lean.

I have since switched to my colder plugs and now run fine...in fact, I'm at 27-28mpg running around town like a maniac....this was my mpg stock in the city.

Here's a pic of the leaning out the plugs showed:
http://a4.cpimg.com/image/26/11/35109414-0ff1-028001E0-.jpg

SF-SI-02
06-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Which lower temp plugs are you now using?

What about everyone's a/f guages, I though they were indicating rich as hell!? Do you notice any difference is power/speed with the colder plugs?

thanks!

siver-SI
06-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Man you were running lean. I can not remember that last time I have seen plugs that bad on the lean side. Nice things about cars is that the plugs will never lie to you.

02SilverSiHB
06-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Which lower temp plugs are you now using?

What about everyone's a/f guages, I though they were indicating rich as hell!? Do you notice any difference is power/speed with the colder plugs?

thanks!
I'm using NGK one step cooler plugs...part number R5671A-8

As for difference in power, I noticed that the top end seems more alive...the bottom end is just the same. I think maybe the top end was kind of dieing before because of the leaning condition.
Other than that, not much of a big difference, just better gas mileage :D

raiyo
06-24-2004, 04:48 PM
I have since switched to my colder plugs and now run fine...in fact, I'm at 27-28mpg running around town like a maniac....this was my mpg stock in the city.

this sucks. i run on a complete stock engine and you're getting 6-7 mpg more than me. wtf.... sad.... just sad.....wtf is wrong with my car!!!!!

02SilverSiHB
06-24-2004, 04:51 PM
this sucks. i run on a complete stock engine and you're getting 6-7 mpg more than me. wtf.... sad.... just sad.....wtf is wrong with my car!!!!!
I know, I remember seeing your thread about your problems...have you checked your spark plugs lately? If so, what was the condition of them?

siver-SI
06-24-2004, 05:05 PM

What you are only getting 20mpg with a stock EP? There is something going bad there. What does the dealer say? I am getting up to and over 30mpg with my EP with a CAI.

TheAnhDy
06-25-2004, 09:13 AM
How do you tell by looking at the spark plugs? Do you know if the si uses the same stock plugs as the base rsx?

I might have 1 or 2 extra 4" pulleys if anyone is interested

mhx
06-25-2004, 10:04 AM
how much were those NGK plugs?

I know the stock replacement plugs are expensive..
cya tomorrow.. i still want a ride in the jrsc ep :)

mhx
06-25-2004, 10:08 AM
i wonder if your stock plugs will preform better in the winter time here in TX.. what do you think?

mhx
06-25-2004, 10:13 AM
humm nm i found em at http://www.clubplug.net/retail_racing_ngk.html
for 2.19/each

humm is there a platium plug u can run ?

mhx
06-25-2004, 10:14 AM
yes trying to be a post whore here.. :)

mhx
06-25-2004, 10:18 AM
sigh... stock plugs denso: IK20 $11.20/each @ http://www.clubplug.net/retail_iridium_denso.html

What is denso 1 step colder part#? any idea?
IK16 $11.20 or IK22 $11.20

mhx
06-25-2004, 10:19 AM
btw i went to a honda a while back and asked the price for stock plugs they told me 22/plug.. i told em to take a walk

mhx
06-25-2004, 10:25 AM
1 more hahah!
NGK replacement part# IZFR6K11 but clubplug.net dont sell it.. i emailed them to get it.. they gotta support us EPs

sorry im really bored

TheAnhDy
06-25-2004, 10:27 AM
btw i went to a honda a while back and asked the price for stock plugs they told me 22/plug.. i told em to take a walk

IK22 are colder than IK16
Higher the number colder it is

damn you whore stop it!!!

TheAnhDy
06-25-2004, 10:29 AM
I'm using NGK one step cooler plugs...part number R5671A-8

As for difference in power, I noticed that the top end seems more alive...the bottom end is just the same. I think maybe the top end was kind of dieing before because of the leaning condition.
Other than that, not much of a big difference, just better gas mileage :D

What's the difference between ngk's racing plugs and iridium

mhx
06-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Hi Ryan

Thank you for visiting Club Plug.

Unfortunately, we do not carry that particular plug.

Thank you again.
Frank Vessella
Club Plug
Your Source for NGK, BOSCH & DENSO Products!
U.S.A. Homepage: http://www.clubplug.net
Canadian Homepage: http://www.clubplug.ca
email: info@clubplug.net

sigh.. they dont got it

mhx
06-25-2004, 10:55 AM
What's the difference between ngk's racing plugs and iridium

Iridium is a precious metal that is 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than platinum, it has a 1,200(=F) higher melting point than platinum and conducts electricity better. This makes it possible to create the finest wire center electrode ever. Prior till now, platinum had been favored for long life or performance spark plugs due to its high melting point, also the technology did not exist to machine and bond iridium on a spark plug electrode(at least in a cost effective manner). Iridium industrial spark plugs have been around for years, but still sells for over a hundred dollars per plug. Just now is the technology available to effectively use iridium in a spark plug for automotive applications. The strength, hardness and high melting point of iridium allows NGK to manufacture there iridium ultra-fine wire center electrode to 0.7mm. One of the finest firing points in the industry! (Thus far there has been no problems reported regarding use of iridium plugs with nitrous oxide.)

(racing plugs) part# R5671A-8, these prob arent the plugs he should use..
V-Power spark plugs are a patented design by NGK to improve ignitability and reduce quenching. Ignitability is improved by the V-groove cut in the center electrode parallel to the ground electrode, this directs the spark to to the edge of the center electrode thus exposing it to more of the air/fuel mixture. Quenching is reduced in much the same manner, drawing the spark to the edge of the center and ground electrodes reduces the surface area available to quench the spark.

We should stick with Iridium plugs.. just use 1 step colder ones.. those racing plugs dont look like they are good for boost. I would check your plugs again in a few days.. just fyi

spider883
06-25-2004, 07:53 PM
last week on the dyno i was running rich

mhx
06-25-2004, 09:24 PM
its so much more humid in texas

Black 02 SI
06-26-2004, 04:15 PM
denso ik22 are the ones i'm runnin. they are very costly. they are one step colder than stock. i average about 25 mpg city beatin on it and about 30 all highway with cruise control on.

mhx
06-26-2004, 08:12 PM
denso ik22 are the ones i'm runnin. they are very costly. they are one step colder than stock. i average about 25 mpg city beatin on it and about 30 all highway with cruise control on.

only 11.20 each from www.clubplug.net thats not too bad

TheAnhDy
06-29-2004, 04:22 PM
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=3036658#post3036658

my plugs look like yours and everyone thinks they're fine

02SilverSiHB
06-29-2004, 04:33 PM
ummm, no, yours look way better...

Mine......

Your's
http://www.uploadimages.net/images/2446862.JPG

as you can see, your plugs are not near as white as mine...either that, or your flash was on and I can't see that they are as white...yours are fine imo

mhx
06-30-2004, 09:43 AM
ummm, no, yours look way better...

Mine......

Your's
http://www.uploadimages.net/images/2446862.JPG

as you can see, your plugs are not near as white as mine...either that, or your flash was on and I can't see that they are as white...yours are fine imo

those plugs are fine.. you look like your running good

K20NutBucket
07-03-2004, 08:47 PM
hey guys i installed my jrsc and hitting 7lbs. which is weird to me considering the kit is suppose to hit 5, anyway i noticed that whenever i go past 5 lbs. my check engine light comes on and the pcm reads it as a misfire in cylinder one. Im wondering if i had maybe a bad coil pack.....didnt know what you guys thought

mhx
07-03-2004, 09:43 PM
hey guys i installed my jrsc and hitting 7lbs. which is weird to me considering the kit is suppose to hit 5, anyway i noticed that whenever i go past 5 lbs. my check engine light comes on and the pcm reads it as a misfire in cylinder one. Im wondering if i had maybe a bad coil pack.....didnt know what you guys thought

check your plugs asap.
are you running 91+ octane?
is the light on your power cord on? indicating there is no problems?

bigben21
07-03-2004, 10:01 PM
your gay mike that the problem lol j/k man. i got so many little cuts on my hands from installing that bitch. To everyone reading this yes the hondata heatshield gasket fit perfectly with a jackson racing sc. monday let me hook up the tablet and check the a/f ratio when your driving if the coil pack doesnt work.

02SilverSiHB
07-04-2004, 10:15 AM
strange, a few member get 7lbs on the stock pulley, I noticed once in a great while I would get 6lbs....maybe just 7 at 6800rpm, but then I had to shift....but that was rarely.

As for check engine light...ouch...I'm not sure what's up, but yeah, check the plugs and what gas are you running?

K20NutBucket
07-05-2004, 05:26 AM
im running 91+ octane.
im running the same plugs as 02 silver the ngk
as far as the power card i have a green light with flashing yellow......

02SilverSiHB
07-05-2004, 07:53 AM
im running 91+ octane.
im running the same plugs as 02 silver the ngk
as far as the power card i have a green light with flashing yellow......
is the green light solid when the car is started? and does it flash when you turn the ignition to on? that will be normal.
Then there is the other green led away from the other leds...it should come on during boost

Check to see if your wires are correct

this is part of my write up on the ecu wiring, might go over it to see if that's how you have yours
B connector of the ecu. This is where JR wants the three grey wires and on blue wire from the power card spilced into the red, yello, blue, and brown wires of the ecu...they are B2-B5...it says it doesn't matter which one wire you spilce into the other wires :roll: so why make one fucking blue? no idea
http://a4.cpimg.com/image/E2/B4/32400354-3f28-02000180-.jpg

Last one, is for power and ground...very easy, it's A connector. Just splice the red wire from the jr power card to the A2 yellow/black wire. the black wire from the power card is for the black ecu wire A4.
http://a7.cpimg.com/image/21/B6/32400417-2b3d-02000180-.jpg

K20NutBucket
07-05-2004, 12:44 PM
ok, i solved the yellow flashing light thing.....all good as far as the powercard is concerned. in fixing that problem im now running 5lbs not 7 so yay for me. however, i had the check engine light flicker on again saying misfire on 1 and 2. so i think im going to put the factory plugs back in since they did not cause a check engine light...they caused one everytime i went over 5 closer to 7lbs....since i run 5lbs now this should work. i did leave a message with jr so hopefully they will know something

02SilverSiHB
07-05-2004, 05:58 PM
ok, i solved the yellow flashing light thing.....all good as far as the powercard is concerned. in fixing that problem im now running 5lbs not 7 so yay for me. however, i had the check engine light flicker on again saying misfire on 1 and 2. so i think im going to put the factory plugs back in since they did not cause a check engine light...they caused one everytime i went over 5 closer to 7lbs....since i run 5lbs now this should work. i did leave a message with jr so hopefully they will know something
did you call? I hope so, email will take fooooorever

K20NutBucket
07-07-2004, 01:19 PM
yeah i fixed it, didnt clear the last check engine light...oooppps. anyway yeah i called monday the 4th and guy named keith from tech support called me the next day. told him what happened and that i ended up fixing it. put the factory plugs in seemed to help. On that note he said that the copper plugs should do better than the iridiums. he said the best thing to do is a dyno with the factory plugs than some coppers. they ran all factory with there tests. just something he mentioned, not to say whos right and whos wrong......

02SilverSiHB
07-07-2004, 06:56 PM
sweet...so how do you like it so far..the jrsc

1 fstr si
07-08-2004, 09:34 PM
im runnin NGK plugs also, but a different P/N. im gonna pull em tomorrow and check just to be safe. im currently running NGK V-power's P/N ZFR6A-11 , they're a lil bit more expensive, but that prolly doesnt mean anything. do you guys think im ok? or not.

02SilverSiHB
07-10-2004, 02:22 PM
I thought the 11 indicated the type of gap...like 7 being stock...and the higher the number the less gap...so you're probably fine. In fact it's probably a cooler running spark than mine