PDA

View Full Version : Please help with HID Install!!

STP03BlueSI
06-24-2004, 08:57 PM
OK I just got a set of JDM Headlights, and a HID Kit. I will be doin this tomorrow. So if you see me online and you have done this PM me or IM me(longboardhawk).

Here is what I have

HID Kit has 1 Red and 1 Black wire already fitted with connectors

Car Connector - 3 spots One has a Red wire, One has a RED and White(being told by Honda that it is the Low beam) and a Red with Blue squares.

What wire goes where?

Please help

Thanks
Chris

oogy-boogy
06-25-2004, 06:15 AM
For the HID kit:
The red positive goes directly to the positive terminal on your battery to draw the voltage out of the bat instead of frying the OEM harness.
The black goes directly to the battery - / ground.

Is there an OEM type clip for the harness???

STP03BlueSI
06-25-2004, 07:47 AM
No oem clip for it. I will have pics in about 30-40 min! Please help

The cable isnt long enough to reach the battery terminal.

STP03BlueSI
06-25-2004, 08:59 AM
IMages!!

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNDQ5MTk0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
Left wire is Red and White

Center is Red

Right- Red and blue

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNDQ5MTk1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Please help!

STP03BlueSI
06-25-2004, 09:03 AM
IMG of connectors!
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNDQ5MjAzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
Left is HID connector(bulb) right is power.

raiyo
06-25-2004, 09:14 AM
For the HID kit:
The red positive goes directly to the positive terminal on your battery to draw the voltage out of the bat instead of frying the OEM harness.
The black goes directly to the battery - / ground.

Is there an OEM type clip for the harness???

wouldn't that cause the HID to stay on at all times?

SF-SI-02
06-25-2004, 09:43 AM
You can't go wrong, slip the tab with the black wire into the H4 plug which is mated with the ground wire... (to figure this out use a voltometer, I am at work and can't go check on my car which is which right now, hit me up later if you still neeed help with this). For the red, take that tab and put it in either of remaining free H4 plug sockets with a red wire, one is low beam, and the other is hi. There is no risk of frying your wires, because hid is only 35W, the only danger in wiring the ballast through your car's existing lighting system is that a power spike could fry the ballast...

I just thought of something: grab your stock light bulb, and look at where the tabs connect to the filament, the tab that connects to both filaments is the ground tab, that shoudl be where you plug in the black cable from your hid kit

good luck and post some pics when you are done!

jbone98gt
06-25-2004, 09:58 AM
well you dont want to connect to the batt. because it will stay on all the time and you wont fry the factory harness because the lights draw only 35 watts of power compared to the normal 55 watts on a normal bulb. Chris i sent you a pic via phone call me if you have any other questions. I look forward to seeing them.

raiyo
06-25-2004, 10:01 AM
you wont fry the factory harness because the lights draw only 35 watts of power compared to the normal 55 watts on a normal bulb. .

then how can u reduce the power output?

STP03BlueSI, how much did u pay for your set?

jbone98gt
06-25-2004, 10:57 AM
the lights only take 35 watts to keep the gasses in the bulbs glowing but the initial start up takes somthing like 25000 volts to ignite but that is what your ignigtor if for which on this kit is internal. So the ballast is what regulates the 35 watts.

SF-SI-02
06-25-2004, 11:00 AM
It is ok to have a 35w on a 55w output, the other way around is what is dangerous! The ballast and started ignite the gas, but it does not matter, the ballast ensures that only 35w get drawn at all times...

oogy-boogy
06-25-2004, 11:04 AM
well you dont want to connect to the batt. because it will stay on all the time and you wont fry the factory harness because the lights draw only 35 watts of power compared to the normal 55 watts on a normal bulb. Chris i sent you a pic via phone call me if you have any other questions. I look forward to seeing them.

Whoops, my bad. I thought the kit was relayed....

Spazhead
06-25-2004, 11:29 AM
please realize that the si runs on a negative trigger.

if you hold the factory connector up and look down into the socket.

__|-|__
|_____|

positive is the middle (common power to high and low beam)
left is low beam (ground)
right is high beam (ground)

there is also a seperate relay for each side of headlight so you dont have to worry about buring out the harness, the stock headlights run at 55 watts, HID uses 35 watts.

STP03BlueSI
06-26-2004, 05:05 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. Pics will be up later!

BarracksSi
06-26-2004, 06:07 AM
...positive is the middle (common power to high and low beam)
left is low beam (ground)
right is high beam (ground)

THANK YOU for that tiny, but very useful, bit of info. One less thing to worry about if I ever decide to change headlights (would even make an 04 swap much easier).

ViViDPeArL
06-26-2004, 07:59 AM
geez...what kinda fricken HID kit is this? mine installed in 5 mins...sucked you had to hook it up to your battery too?! mine has inline ignitors :) oh well...hopefully the kit works out for you...good luck