PDA

View Full Version : whats first?

grooveline
07-09-2002, 09:36 AM
Gentlemen.

Do you drop your ride first, then add rims? Or do you add rims, then drop it? Is there a difference?

DynaSpeed
07-09-2002, 10:36 AM
drop it drop it drop it drop it....

Your car will be the epitomy of fast minivan with the 4x4 look if you put some 17's (for example) on first.

SBC31
07-09-2002, 10:45 AM
I would agree to drop it too, but I did it they other way around (got 17" wheels), and I have yet to drop the car. It does need it, but I actually don't mind the mini van/4 X 4 look.

I will however drop it, but probably not until next spring.

xlr8
07-10-2002, 04:40 PM
drop it first. it will look nicer, but even better after rims also

OrganDonar 8=D
07-13-2002, 12:33 PM
i picked up springs and rims at the same time. put the springs on first and went a couple of days before putting the rims on.

lowering it made the stock rims look alot better since there wasn't a huge wheel gap.

Mmmmmmmmmmm Drawp

Mechanic
07-20-2002, 05:49 AM
Some years ago I set up a V-dub Rabbit for the Bilstein Cup. The world has turned over a lot since then, but we quickly learned that the single most significant change we could make to add speed and cut lap times was by changing rubber. Initially, we stuck with steel rims (heavy), but when alloys were permitted, we chose a wider, low-profile tire. Going up in wheel size adds weight, which is the enemy of acceleration. Ask those who've gone to 17" -- they look cool, that for sure. But, they will add a lot of weight (easily 5 pounds per wheel over the 15s), which translates to a half second in a 1/4 mile run. Also, that rotating mass adds a huge burden to braking, which also increases lap times.

So, my recommendation - if you wanna go fast through corners - is stick with the 15s and lower your car first. This, of course, will lower the car's center-of-gravity, which is a good thing. Happy speeding!