PDA

View Full Version : Are there any tricks to remove a tight bolt?

i-WERKS
06-25-2004, 05:55 PM
I'm trying to install the mugen SS but the bolt that holds the rear suspension in is a fucking bitch to get off. I've soaked it with liquid wrench and tried extending the ratchet with a pipe. It's still not coming out. ClubRSX says to compress the shocks with a jack but that doesn't do it either. I've been trying for almost 1 hr. Anyone know any tips or tricks?

oogy-boogy
06-25-2004, 06:39 PM
I'm trying to install the mugen SS but the bolt that holds the rear suspension in is a fucking bitch to get off. I've soaked it with liquid wrench and tried extending the ratchet with a pipe. It's still not coming out. ClubRSX says to compress the shocks with a jack but that doesn't do it either. I've been trying for almost 1 hr. Anyone know any tips or tricks?
Heat up the area the threads are inside of with a torch (not the actually bolt itself). It will make the surrounding metal expand and contract allowing you to get it out. Works like a charm every time :)

i-WERKS
06-26-2004, 01:43 PM
how long am I heating it for? 30 seconds ? 2-3 minutes?

raiyo
06-26-2004, 04:21 PM
how long am I heating it for? 30 seconds ? 2-3 minutes?

Just play around with it, but I think 30 seconds or less will do it. Just depends how much heat your torch can put out. Or..... just a heat gun/blow dryer if a torch isn't at your disposal. I would use a heat gun over a torch, don't wanna burn anything. If you're going to use a heat gun, place it on alittle longer than 30 seconds. HTH.

amctmg
06-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Is the bolt your refering to the one that holds the bottom of the strut which was a bitch for me too. It is in a rubber bushing and it just spins because it is rusted into the metal sleeve in the bushing. I used an impact gun finally to get it out after spraying it down with wd40 many times.

BlackSi613nin
06-26-2004, 07:32 PM
spray with PB blaster. and get a braking bar under there.. breakin bars kick ass. i can torque the bolt with much more force with a breakin bar then with my impact gun...

joHn

siver-SI
06-26-2004, 08:01 PM
I have done this one a few times. With the ratchet with a pipe setup can the pipe hold your weight and is it long enough for you to stand on? If so step on it and even try to jump on it a little. If you have an impact wrench get that baby out and use it. As long as you have good sockets just keep hitting it for a while with it. If you have cheap sockets you could strip it though so be I would keep an eye on it for just incase.

amctmg
06-26-2004, 08:04 PM
I used a breaker bar on it but it just kept flexingsince it was mounted in rubber so ultimately it took impact and the socket size is 17mm I beleive.

Ph0nK
06-26-2004, 09:59 PM
PB Blaster and an impact wrench. Haven't failed me yet.

03silverEP
06-28-2004, 07:37 AM
breaker bar, legnth = leverage (mo nut breakin' torque)

specialblend154
06-28-2004, 08:28 AM
yeah luckily mine wasent a bitch like that. i think i just used a breaker bar. its going to be a bitch to get out too.. just compress the spring and when your losening the bolt out use an open ended wrench around the shaft of the bolt and pull out while you are losening the bolt out

CivilEngSI
06-28-2004, 08:31 AM
yeah luckily mine wasent a bitch like that. i think i just used a breaker bar. its going to be a bitch to get out too.. just compress the spring and when your losening the bolt out use an open ended wrench around the shaft of the bolt and pull out while you are losening the bolt out

Yea I broke it loose for him. :D Mike did a couple also hahaha...

specialblend154
06-28-2004, 08:34 AM
edit** yeah i acutally couldnt get any of the bolts lose.. haha i had gary do some and then Mike kicked the wrench a few times. the funniest shit is when mike was trying to losen it with his foot and it moved and he got his foot pinned between the wrench and the driveway.. lol

CivilEngSI
06-28-2004, 08:37 AM
I was waiting for one of those spring compressors to come off lol.. BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING :eek: