PDA

View Full Version : help with shiftknob install

staticflo
06-27-2004, 04:44 PM
I just got my CTR shiftboot and Skunk2 knob. I tried to install these and ran into a problem. I bought these both used and the Skunk2 knob came with a bolt. Now when i put the boot on and then put the knob on, the chrome piece on the boot does not sit flush with the knob. Now i think this is what the bolt is for so I take everything apart again, take off the boot, screw on the bolt then put back on the boot. The problem now is that the diameter of the bolt is to big and the chrome piece on the boot does not fit over it thus not leaving enough notches for the knob to be screwed on. Can someone please help me?
I hope i explained it well enough I dont have access to a digi right now so im not able to post pics but hopefully someone will understand enough of this to help me out

Thanks,
Mike

Civicvtec1ps
06-27-2004, 04:57 PM
Put the Shift boot on.
Rubber band right underneath chrome shift knob end.

Put the locking nut.
Shift knob.
Adjust
Done

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzg3ODc0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

staticflo
06-27-2004, 05:44 PM
I see in your pic that your chrome piece does not sit flush with your shiftknob either. I dont get what your saying about the rubber band. So, the locking nut goes on after the boot so the locking nut is exposed? Sorry i cant follow...but thanks for trying to help me out this is pissing me off

raiyo
06-27-2004, 05:49 PM
I believe, the only way for you to get your shift knob and the chrome peice on the boot to sit flush is to.....put something under the chrome peice of the boot so it sticks up more. The picture Civicvtec1ps provided is pretty much how all JDM shift boots look like with aftermarket knobs. The rubber band thingy Civicvtec1ps was talking about is to use some rubber band and wrap the shifter so it becomes bulky. The chrome peice of the boot will stay up higher and not sag down. If you want the chrome peice to sit higher, then move the rubber band up higher. There are other alternative to the rubber band, but that's a simple and effective way to do it.

staticflo
06-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Got it now thanks, What is the advantage then of buying the CTR shiftboot if you still have to mod it to sit flush with the knob? Does the locking nut go on after the boot and before you put on the knob so the knob sits against the locking nut?

raiyo
06-27-2004, 09:22 PM
The reason why you would want a JDM Shift Boot for aftermarket knobs is because with the USDM one, it looks weird.

You place the boot on, then the screw the locking nut all the way down. Then screw on the shift knob. When the knob is tight, align the lettering on the knob so it is center, then screw up the locking nut so everything is holding in place. The main purpose of the locking nut is for the lettering on the knob to line up correctly.

You don't have to buy a JDM shift knob, check out my DIY in the how to section on making a USDM shift boot to look somewhat like JDM. Other people have there ideas too, check it out.

DingDong02Si
07-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Does anyone have a close up pic cause I am have the same problem with my new shift boot and type r shift knob?? The nut doesnt go all the way down the thread? Is the nut supposed to stop before the thread ends?? any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance -Matt D. :confused:

LiLxKeNnY
07-09-2004, 02:07 PM
i think the ctr boot is a waste of money ... so xpenive!!! i think raiyo's shift boot is better