PDA

View Full Version : Nankang Tires?

TrippZ
06-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Anyone had/have these? Experiences? Stories? Rumors?

goy091
06-29-2004, 03:46 PM
theyre so so at best

SuperRacerTypeR
06-29-2004, 05:24 PM
they are the new brand of tires, made by South Korean company,but been around in asia for awhile, i think they are arite. seriously any tires brand are better than firestone :rolleyes:

downhil
06-29-2004, 05:56 PM
how many of these threads are you going to start.

just go buy some damn tires.

TrippZ
06-29-2004, 07:05 PM
how many of these threads are you going to start.

just go buy some damn tires.

dude if your'e not gonna contribute you dont need to beligerate me, im trying to make a conscious purchase. thanks.

downhil
06-29-2004, 09:41 PM
beligerate.

?

instead of starting multiple threads about cheap tires, just ask what cheap tires people have had good luck with.

go buy some kumho 712's and call it a day.

sminker
06-30-2004, 07:56 AM
I had a set of nankang on my enkeis. with about 10000 miles of hard driving they help up pretty good. About 60% tread left. They suck in the snow/ice and heavy rain. But they have pretty damn good traction when its dry.

stimpGSX
06-30-2004, 08:04 AM
i have them on my ride and i had no problems. i abuse on my car all day and night and theyve held up pretty well. In all honesty, tires arent that big of a deal. if your on a budget and need tires just get them. tires arent going to make a big difference in performance imo.

downhil
06-30-2004, 08:47 PM
In all honesty, tires arent that big of a deal. tires arent going to make a big difference in performance imo.

simply put, you are horribly wrong.

tires are the most important performance modification, and quite a bit of your budget should be spent on the tires.

chubbychu
06-30-2004, 09:03 PM
the tires are just as important as any other major part of the car. brakes, engine, tranny, rims, but tires definitely do play a big part. and when it comes to tires get something good. dont cheap out.

chubbychu
06-30-2004, 09:05 PM
it would be good for you to do your own research and than bring some of your choices. There are simply too many tires to ask one by one. try www.Tirerack.com for reviews of many many people.

stimpGSX
07-01-2004, 08:52 AM
damn, you guys are into this whole tire thing huh. Well I just think this guy needs new tires really badly and he is on a budget. i think he would rather have new nankangs over bald tires. I also think that you dont need expensive tires to perform well. Ive ran high 12's on 16 inch pep boy Futuras back in the day with my Eclipse. They cost me $65 each back in da day. You guys should also look at the tire ratings. Some more expensive tires will have a lower rating than cheap tires. perfect example are the Bridgestone potenzas on my Girls IS300. those things cost $200 each and are rated far bellow the $140 Continentals that im getting her for replacements. I have and Ep like everyone else and i dont think $200 tires will improve my car over all. i rather spend money on suspension, exhaust etc.. over tires. but thats just me.

downhil
07-03-2004, 06:56 PM
i dont think $200 tires will improve my car over all. i rather spend money on suspension, exhaust etc.. over tires. .

you can have all the horsepower in the world, but its worthless without traction. where do you get traction you may ask? tires.

SiOnTheFly
07-04-2004, 10:42 AM
i think traction could be better pursued through suspension imo. but to answer your Q...i have had them on my crx for a awhile...they held up fine. i even took them to the track once. not the best traction in the world, but for what i paid for them, they did awesome.

dtexan
07-05-2004, 03:59 AM
so trippz did you ever get any tires?????????

Karim
07-05-2004, 05:34 AM
damn, you guys are into this whole tire thing huh. Well I just think this guy needs new tires really badly and he is on a budget. i think he would rather have new nankangs over bald tires. I also think that you dont need expensive tires to perform well. Ive ran high 12's on 16 inch pep boy Futuras back in the day with my Eclipse. They cost me $65 each back in da day. You guys should also look at the tire ratings. Some more expensive tires will have a lower rating than cheap tires. perfect example are the Bridgestone potenzas on my Girls IS300. those things cost $200 each and are rated far bellow the $140 Continentals that im getting her for replacements. I have and Ep like everyone else and i dont think $200 tires will improve my car over all. i rather spend money on suspension, exhaust etc.. over tires. but thats just me.

I take your DSM was also a GSX which makes tires less important ;)

Tires can not only help your 1/4 mile times come down but they also do a ton for the rest of the car. Hnadling and braking are 2 of the biggest changes you might notice. You can have all the suspension work and brake work in the world but without the right tires you'll never make the most out of them.

I kind of had to show sb00 how much tires meant. His EP was a fairly decent car at the local autocrosses but once he really learned how to drive he was over driving the stock tires on the car. Mainly because they didn't provide enough grip to put down any good times. We then switched his car over to a set of Yoko ES100's. His times were instantly dropping before you knew it the car was running very close to the top of the pack. I then hopped in his car and yelled at him and taught him how to over drive those and use all their grip and run them till they are destroyed :D Now we've moved him to a set of used Falken Azenis. Give it a few more events and he'll actually be fast enough to start utilizing how much grip those tires have and we can actually start on some suspension mods. :)

Point being that with every tire change he's been getting closer to the STS front runner in our region as they been giving the car increased grip.

Karim

SiOnTheFly
07-05-2004, 09:11 AM
yea you can also have the best tires in the world but next be able to get the most out of them with crappy suspension. they all just feed off of eachother. its kinda like the engine....your catback will do fine without a header and head work. but if you had head would work and a header, all the sudden that cat-back became more important.