PDA

View Full Version : Warranty

blaketion
06-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Would a stage 1 bolt-on turbo charger (greddy kit for example) void your warranty? Also, with the Greddy eManage do you have to have your ECU reflashed or does this work in conjunction with the current ecu?

jerseyjew
06-29-2004, 05:51 PM
I think Honda might say the turbo kit voids the warranty

trabadoo22
06-29-2004, 07:38 PM
Unless you have insanely cool Honda service people in your area then yes any forced induction would void your warranty.

blaketion
06-29-2004, 11:17 PM
That is JUST no fun :] Looks like I'm going to meet the dealership's service people this week. Perhaps I could find one sympathetic to the cause :] ha.. good luck to me I guess. Could an A2 head swap be performed by honda under warranty? :confused:

BlackSi613nin
06-29-2004, 11:46 PM
according to HONDA USA ( icalled) they said that the ONLY way that a part will void the warrenty is if it directly causes something to fail.. so if your runnin boost, and your engine blows up, *AND* its the turbo's fault, you will not be covered under warenty. but if you are running boost and somethin fucks up but isnt turbo's fault.... the dealer will try its damnest to try and blame turbo... but if your 100% positive that its had nothing to do with turbo, and they still refuse, give honda a call.... :)

joHn

blaketion
06-29-2004, 11:54 PM
according to HONDA USA ( icalled) they said that the ONLY way that a part will void the warrenty is if it directly causes something to fail.. so if your runnin boost, and your engine blows up, *AND* its the turbo's fault, you will not be covered under warenty. but if you are running boost and somethin fucks up but isnt turbo's fault.... the dealer will try its damnest to try and blame turbo... but if your 100% positive that its had nothing to do with turbo, and they still refuse, give honda a call.... :)

joHn

If one was running a conservative level of boost, what other problemcs could one have with a boosted setup that COULD be related to the turbo itself?

penguin
06-29-2004, 11:56 PM

joHn

Yup. You just have to not break down and cave when they say no. It's called the Moss-Magnusun (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm) Act.

bgsteve523
06-30-2004, 03:32 AM
Basicly Honda will not cover your engine, ecu, tranny, clutch, basicly any part of your car that helps it go. But if your seatbelt shits the bed or your gas cap won't open then yeah honda will cover. Just remember with power doesn't come a warranty but the power is great.

esmith13
06-30-2004, 06:04 AM
If one was running a conservative level of boost, what other problemcs could one have with a boosted setup that COULD be related to the turbo itself?
Conservative or not - all the possible failures could still happen. running low boost only saves you from one fate - popping the engine from excessive pressure/boost....

Running lean from a bad tune can cause the overheating, detonation and piston melting that most people associate with running too much boost.

Aside from a mechanical (physical) failure of a turbo kit component there are three main failures that can be catastrophic for a turbo'd car.

1. Tempature/Overheating (caused by lean conditions or boosting beyond the block, piston, or cooling system's thresholds)

2. Excessive pressure (caused by intentionally boosting higher than the block, pistons, rods or head can handle or a failed wastegate, wastegate boost sensing line or BOV)

3. Detonation/Grenading (caused by running too lean or too much boost without a cold enough spark plug)

When it really gets tricky is some of these items can be caused by other simpler things...

The tempature and detonation problems can happen at lower boost if a fuel injector is too small or gets clogged - leaning out fuel unintentionally. Even sloshing of gas in the tank can cause this problem.

Running a fair boost level without an intercooler could potentially require colder plugs due to excessive air/cylinder temps where the same setup and boost level could use stock plugs WITH and intercooler.

There is soooo much that can go wrong - it seems scary at first. You get to know the car ALOT better when you do something like boosting it. I'm not trying to scare u outta doing it or anything like that. But you simply CAN'T put on a turbo - turn down the boost a few notches and expect the car to be 100% normal and not need any special attention.

Hell - even running TOO rich can potentially be bad for the car... You mentioned a greddy kit with eManage... If you turn the boost DOWN below standard - you may run too rich and hurt the car that way too...

Just food for thought

Eric

bgsteve523
06-30-2004, 06:11 AM
leave it to eric to explain everything lol kidding very good write up
all I can say is what he said LOL

esmith13
06-30-2004, 06:15 AM
Sorry - bored at work - waiting a half hour to leave to go see spiderman 2 at the theatre down the road. :D

Eric

blaketion
06-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Well next time I have a question I'll be sure to post while you're at work so I can get a nice write up like that ;]. I'm just trying to find out if boost is for me or not. My car and I have awhile to go, but I'm sure it would love some boost :p ..one day. I appreciate it, though.

esmith13
06-30-2004, 01:22 PM
haha, np. ;)

Eric