PDA

View Full Version : Help!

gialong
06-29-2004, 07:57 PM
I currently have an 03' ep and just finished installing my system. ....
alpine 7998 hu
alpine 540 amp
cdt HD 6.5 components front and rear

the only hard part was the fron speakers, a little of mod needed but it's in.
For some odd reason, there is no power going to the hu or the amp. I didn't buy a wiring harness bc the hu only requires ground, power, ant, red, and remote. if you guys are familar with alpine, they require you to send a separate wire which is the yellow wire to the battery. i really don't know what else to do.

I NEED POWER!

serialdriller
06-29-2004, 09:17 PM
buy a harness :) do it right! :) just spend the 15 bucks or so. It'll make it easier. Hope you unconnected the ground from battery when installing it. otherwise could've fried your system :)

dj addicted
06-29-2004, 09:55 PM
buy a harness :) do it right! :) just spend the 15 bucks or so. It'll make it easier. Hope you unconnected the ground from battery when installing it. otherwise could've fried your system :)

what he said...

oh, and I would definately run the power directly to the battery, do NOT go through the harness.. I did that with my 9815 and the HU would cut out all the time.

Zodiac
06-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Run the power straight to the battery -just go through the firewall. It will make your life alot easier when your HU doenst cut out all the time because its not getting enough power. Alpine HU's are power hungry and will eat up everything you can give them. Some of the newer models even have the "blackout" function, or whatever its called, that blanks out the display just for the purpose of saving energy that can be used towards sound quality.

I really dont see why you wouldnt get a wiring harness.. youll never be able to reattach the stock HU whenever you decide to sell your car. And no, dont kid yourself, you're eventually going to want to sell it, and a car going without a stereo in it is worth alot less, believe me. I guess thats also means you crimped alot of wires without a harness.. I personally reccomend soldering everything especially if you're going for any kind of sound quality. Which... you really cant do, again, without a harness. Or if you did you went to a whole whole lot of work ;)

As for getting power.. make sure the HU is grounded, since Alpine HUs will automatically detect for grounding and WILL NOT come on if it is not grounded well enough. Also, make sure you reconnected your battery when you got done working :D

oogy-boogy
06-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Personally I've always used harnesses regardless if I need to hook up the speakers or not. But, that wasn't your question :)

First off, double check all your connections:

Ground: Make sure it's a good filed down contact point.

12 volt constant: You have me confused here. Did you tap into the OEM harness or run a wire? Either way, make sure the connections are good.

12 volt switched: Same as above.

Fuses: Headunits usually have at least one in the headunit and one in-line. It doesn't take much of a power surge to kill it.

siver-SI
06-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Is it good to run the power to the battery on all HU or just the Alpine? I have never heard of doing this just for a HU.

dtexan
07-02-2004, 02:12 AM
Alpine recommends that you do this to provide adequate power to the unit. The smaller guage factory wiring isnt able to provide enough power when the unit is at higher volumes so you use a higher gauge wire from the battery