PDA

View Full Version : bubble in sidewall

pLopSI
06-29-2004, 08:50 PM
I've had a bubble in the sidewall of my front passenger's tired for almost 6months now. The tire has yet to give out, but I was just wondering if anybody had ever neglected to take care of the tire and had it pop on them.

I went to a meet this past weekend and was taking turns around curves at like 70mph. I don't know why, but i was just waiting for the tire to give out. I haven't had the money to replace the tires yet. If anybody has had any input to put in about this, i'll probably change my mind and throw the new tires on my credit card.

Mickey
06-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Just my opinion. Change your tires. It is better safe then sorry.
Be safe. :)

bobdobbs
06-29-2004, 08:58 PM
That sounds like a tire defect that's probably covered by the tire warranty, even if they're aftermarket. I'd make a stink from wherever you got the tires from. Sidewalls should outlast the tread.

penguin
06-29-2004, 09:09 PM
It may not be a defect. If you are running low profile and you hit something hard, the sidewalls on alot of tires will give. I prefer getting tires with somekind of sidewall protection (like Dunlop FM901s). Replace that sucker.

SF-SI-02
06-29-2004, 09:37 PM
if you buy tires at costco they give you a free store warrenty for the life of the tires against your own mistakes. I had just dropped $500 for my 325ix, got a flat and didn't know it, drove from san francisco to oakland, and the enxt morning when I wnt out to my car the sidewall was like mushfy frosted flakes... costco replaced it on the spot in spite of my telling them tha my own negligence caused it....

03silverEP
06-30-2004, 09:47 AM
yup, get that fixed (buy at least 2 tires also, change both fronts) you don't want a blowout @70mph.

k20whiteboi269
06-30-2004, 10:39 AM
yep replace that tire, ive had that happen twice with my old car.

it was dropped like 2.5" and the suspension had no give- the sidewalls of my tires did though. id replace both fronts and keep the good one in case it happens again.

btw i drove on mine for like 3-4 weeks and had no problems

BlackKnight 03
06-30-2004, 01:26 PM
Well Hiep, is the bubble in the tire that the bent wheel is on? If so that would have def. caused it. I would just get some new tires just to be safe. Maybe splurge on some AVS 100's :D

mhx
06-30-2004, 04:43 PM
stick a nail in it.. see if you can pop the puss out..

jk..replace it ;)

It could be a defect.. but the tire place u got the tires from will prob deny it.. to save them costs.. u could prob get them to replace it if u bitch a shit load.. by chance is your tire a good4ayear?

a firend had a set of goodyears that did that..

97 TYPE-R 312
06-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Is this from the stock Michelin? If so, I had the same problem with a bubble within the first 2K miles. I came across another local EP with the same situation. I've never had a bubble in a sidewall from any of the tires I've ever known, and I have run a lot of tires.

Costco most likely WILL NOT cover sidewall bubbles though, just a fyi...

-Victor

pLopSI
06-30-2004, 10:57 PM
BlackKnight 03: the bubble is actually not on the same wheel with the slight warp. The warped wheels is on the front driver's side, while the bubbled tire is on the front passenger's side tire.

The tires I got are kuhmo ventus. I've had them for about a year now. They came mounted on my aftermarket wheels, and i don't ever recall getting a warranty card for them. So i think the chances of me gettin that tire replaced for free would be very slim.

If I decided to take care of that tire, then i would opt to do all four corners as well because these tires kinda suck. I just replaced my rear sway with a rsx one and it kinda sucks that my current tires can't keep up with my suspension mods :sadm:

BlackKnight 03
07-01-2004, 09:00 AM
ok, yeah then it probably is a tire defect. Yeah if I were you I would just do all four corners as well. The tires seemed to hold up pretty well during the meet, bar none over stock. Are you coming to the autocross on sat. Jon, Anj and Eric and I are going. The event is at fort devens

pLopSI
07-01-2004, 10:49 AM
ok, yeah then it probably is a tire defect. Yeah if I were you I would just do all four corners as well. The tires seemed to hold up pretty well during the meet, bar none over stock. Are you coming to the autocross on sat. Jon, Anj and Eric and I are going. The event is at fort devens

ahh, yet... i cannot make another autocross event :sadm: . I gotta work all day. But i hope all u guys will have fun, and pick up them cones :D

BlackKnight 03
07-01-2004, 12:34 PM
ok man that sucks but you will get to one of them.

phlegyas
07-01-2004, 08:00 PM
ive had a bubble in my sidewall on a kumho 711 for about a year and half now. it happened only a couple months after i got the rims&tires. they wouldnt cover it under warranty; claimed it was from hitting a pot hole too hard. i try not to run that tire on the front too long in case it would heat up more and pop.
but yeah if i had the money id rather be safe and buy a new tire.

bleh i need all my tires replaced..
maybe ill go with azenis next..

mhx
07-02-2004, 07:32 AM
ive had a bubble in my sidewall on a kumho 711 for about a year and half now. it happened only a couple months after i got the rims&tires. they wouldnt cover it under warranty; claimed it was from hitting a pot hole too hard. i try not to run that tire on the front too long in case it would heat up more and pop.
but yeah if i had the money id rather be safe and buy a new tire.

bleh i need all my tires replaced..
maybe ill go with azenis next..

azenis suck in the rain

phlegyas
07-02-2004, 10:53 AM
azenis suck in the rain

yeah i know.. and they dont have as good of tread life.
so im considering the azenis ST-115 since theyre more of an all season tire
they have 'micro vacuum capsules that literally suck up road noise and provide high stiffness on base tread for excellent handling stability' :winkm:

SSMep3
07-02-2004, 04:20 PM
I definitely agee with you that azenis suck in the rain, I hydroplane all the time, and my tires are almost brand new. :shockm: