PDA

View Full Version : how to work with fiberglass?

siver-SI
07-01-2004, 03:01 PM
I need help for this weekend working with fiberglass. I had a problem with my custom dash were the bondo is comming up were I had to put it on very heavy. Right now it is in the corners only.

http://www.jarrettracing.com/honda%20si/dash/Dsc00039.jpg

http://www.jarrettracing.com/honda%20si/dash/Dsc00040.jpg

I think it is having a problem with the heat and humidity.

So now to fill this in I think I am going to have to get some fiberglass to fill in that large top and bottom gap. I do not know if I can get the fiberglass to sit flush, or if I will still have to use some thin bondo to fill in the reast. I figure the fiberglass should be a lot better then heavy bondo. I just have never worked with fiberglass in my life.

So can someone please help me with what I need to do with fiberglass and what supplys I will need?

Thanks,

dtexan
07-02-2004, 12:25 AM
what about mixing the resin with fiberglass strands and put that on. Resin gets really hard and the fiber glass strands might help brace it. I'm so tempted to try this project I have an extra center dash sitting around.

siver-SI
07-02-2004, 03:51 AM
what about mixing the resin with fiberglass strands and put that on. Resin gets really hard and the fiber glass strands might help brace it. I'm so tempted to try this project I have an extra center dash sitting around.

This is what I was thinking. I would just soak the strand in the resin and then lay it and form it so that it would fit into the gap and let that harden make a strong backing?

BlasTech
07-02-2004, 07:31 AM
exactly, you can use fiberglass matt, and some epoxy resin and it will work out very nicely... as long as the resin doesnt completely dissolve the enviro-plastic. :winkm:

dtexan
07-02-2004, 06:16 PM
I never even thought about it melting the plastic. Might just try a little on the back side to see if it will work ok

siver-SI
07-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Went to NAPA and they gane be Fibre strand. It is a mix so feberglass and something like bondo but it will not chip like bondo. I-WERKs gave me a little help it telling me the problem was when the dash is off it straitens out and when you install it again it bends. That bending causes the bondo to come off since it does not bend. So at NAPA they said I should form the strand on the car. So I need to do the dash while it is on the car. That will make it a little fun to do, but I am going to cover it all in paper and cloth so I can not do any dammage to the car. The good thing is that this stuff drys in less then 5 min though.

tcostello3
07-15-2004, 05:24 AM
You need something like DuraBond for plastic work.
check out the Learning Area of fiberglast.com (that's not a typo)