PDA

View Full Version : Noise from coilovers?

i-WERKS
10-31-2002, 11:57 AM
I have the Skunk2 coilovers installed and whenever I go over any bump big or small, I hear this clicking noise. I was told that it's caused by the spring moving. Is there anyway to fix this?
Thanks

fishboy
10-31-2002, 12:29 PM
try a healthy dose of wd40 on each of the front coilovers. that should remedy the noise for a few weeks at a time. there was a thread a while back that detailed taking apart the front strut and applying grease or whatever on it. i guess honda used a crappy grease on the strut somewhere. i'll search for it...

edit: found it

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1755&highlight=grease

i-WERKS
10-31-2002, 12:32 PM
thanks man.

DynaSpeed
10-31-2002, 12:35 PM
just go crazy with some lithium or axle grease wherever the sleeve or coil touches anything. It'll definitely last longer than wd-40.

when you jack up the car you should have plenty of play to get into the spots that you need.

i-WERKS
10-31-2002, 12:36 PM
are there any spray grease you woud recommend?

jimee
11-01-2002, 03:56 PM
hey bud, my bro and me picked up ground control setups for our rides, but its the same concept. like the one post said just gob a load of any grease on the top and bottom of the springs and it should quiet it down.

we added grease to just mine at first and his made noises while mine didnt. worth a try.

the other thing is if u drive alot where the suspension unloads (like steep curbs) the spring might reseat itself sometime while driving. the grease again should deaden what u hear of this.

DocofMind
11-01-2002, 04:40 PM
My groun controls made noise on my miata too. Im so glad my JICs are quiet.

i have read elsewhere that people use small shims to fit between the mount and the spring to quiet them down. I remember reading about cutting up a soda can believe it or not. I ll try to od a search and see what i can dig up for you.

Basically it is the spring moving around. If you look, the ERS's are much shorter so they have play when fully extended.

Thats what i luv about the JIC's, instead of lowering the car buy lowering the spring perch, you actually lower the entire shock body so you dont lose any travel.

i-WERKS
11-02-2002, 01:11 PM
Thanks, you guys are wicked. I just used some wd40 temporarly to see if it works. I took it out for a test drive and it's all quiet now. Gotta go pick me up some real grease.